Flush-mount rod holders in my Lund for trolling - question
lhousesoccer
Posted 3/22/2003 4:20 PM (#64522)
Subject: Flush-mount rod holders in my Lund for trolling - question

Hi :

I just bought a 2002 Lund Fisherman 1850 last fall - I have only been out in it twice. For this coming season, I want to install 4 rod holders for trolling (flatlining and for planer boards) but I don't want to have these permanently screwed or bolted to the gunwales, as I will be using the boat for family fun as well, and they would be in the way.

I've been looking at the stainless steel flush-mount rod holders in various marine catalogues, and I like the idea. However, I can't quite decide it they will suit my needs completely.

For example, when I flatline troll for walleye or muskie, I like to have my rods almost horizontal - or even have the rod tip angled down just a touch. However, when I'm trolling with planer boards for trout and salmon, I like to have my rods angled up at about 2 o'clock.

The flush mount rod holders come in 3 angles generally - 0 degrees (also called 90 degrees) which is straight up, 15 degrees, and 30 degrees.

The 30 degree flush mount would still angle my rod up a little too high I think. So, then I started thinking what else I could do and I came across the downrigger quick mounts Canon, Big Jon, and Penn sell for just this purpose. Check out the following links to see what I mean :

http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=8266...

http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=2282...

You basically bolt the downrigger to them, and then slide it into your flush mount rod holder. The quick mounts themselves look angled so I can't figure out whether they are designed to fit into a 15 or 30 degree flush mount rod holder.

But anyways, I was thinking that maybe I could buy these quick mounts and then screw your standard horizontal rod holders to these, and then I can slide then into the flush mounts when I need them, and pull them out when I don't.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or thoughts or advice on what I'm considering ?

Also, anyone with a similar boat as me know whether there is even room inside the gunwales for a 15 or 30 degree flush mount rod holder to fit ?

Thanks so much for reading this and hopefully writing back !

Shawn
[email protected]
Sponge
Posted 3/22/2003 4:29 PM (#64524 - in reply to #64522)
Subject: RE: Flush-mount rod holders in my Lund for trolling - question

Shawn, I think Shep here used to have a Lund and may be able to help. I assume you play soccer; they had an article in the sports section today about a senior in high school here that will sign w/ Arsenal this coming year, a rare occurence indeed! His name is Yriasoon or something like that...
churn one
Posted 3/22/2003 4:54 PM (#64528 - in reply to #64522)

pursuitsports.com has what you're looking for.I have them .work great.
good luck. churn one
Shep
Posted 3/22/2003 11:10 PM (#64551 - in reply to #64528)

lhouse,

The mounts you show for the downriggers are for the big flushmounts like on salmon boats. not sure if they'd fit in you Lund.

I have the Scotty flush mounts on my Lund. I give them a B+. Only drawback is that in the real hot weather, they pop up and back when I pull big baits aith the rods tips in the water. Keeping them wet helps. I may try Ram mounts this year for the back ones where I put my downrods.

Tite-Lok has a good track system. The also make adaptors for the Downeaster rod holders. These are really great holders, IMHO. Tite-Lok is not as pricey as Pursuit, or Burt's. I almost went that way on my boat, but decided to go with the Scotty's. No trouble with planer boards, or flat lining. I don't know how wide your gunnels are, but if they are as wide as the Pro-V's, make sure of your placement in or out. You may have to pick inside to clear the rods, but then they may not clear when you want to tip for down rods. If that is the case, Scotty's has an extension, or look at the Ram's. Buit in extension on them.

Hope this helps. I may be able to dig up some pics, if that would help.
skiehunter55
Posted 3/23/2003 2:59 PM (#64580 - in reply to #64522)

i put RAM holders on my lund, they are pretty cheap like 13 or 14 bucks a piece, they mount flush to the gunnal (sp?) and i haven't had a problem running the bigger baits out of them, they're not metal, but made of plastic, so i dont' how they'll hold up in the long run, but haven't broke on me yet.

sorry i didn't look at the pictures before i replied, the ram mounts i have you have to dril and screw holes.

Edited by skiehunter55 3/23/2003 3:03 PM
PunchandJudy
Posted 3/23/2003 3:35 PM (#64582 - in reply to #64522)

Check into Bert's Custom Tackle mounting plates. They come in 6" to 24" tracks to mount rod holders to downriggers. You can remove rod holders etc. when not in use. Also when not in use you can buy the inserts (witch come in differnt colors) to protect the plates.

Edited by PunchandJudy 3/23/2003 3:42 PM