Flush-mount rod holders for trolling - question
lhousesoccer
Posted 3/22/2003 4:16 PM (#64521)
Subject: Flush-mount rod holders for trolling - question

Hi :

I just bought a 2002 Lund Fisherman 1850 last fall - I have only been out in it twice. For this coming season, I want to install 4 rod holders for trolling (flatlining and for planer boards) but I don't want to have these permanently screwed or bolted to the gunwales, as I will be using the boat for family fun as well, and they would be in the way.

I've been looking at the stainless steel flush-mount rod holders in various marine catalogues, and I like the idea. However, I can't quite decide it they will suit my needs completely.

For example, when I flatline troll for walleye or muskie, I like to have my rods almost horizontal - or even have the rod tip angled down just a touch. However, when I'm trolling with planer boards for trout and salmon, I like to have my rods angled up at about 2 o'clock.

The flush mount rod holders come in 3 angles generally - 0 degrees (also called 90 degrees) which is straight up, 15 degrees, and 30 degrees.

The 30 degree flush mount would still angle my rod up a little too high I think. So, then I started thinking what else I could do and I came across the downrigger quick mounts Canon, Big Jon, and Penn sell for just this purpose. Check out the following links to see what I mean :

http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=8266...

http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=2282...

You basically bolt the downrigger to them, and then slide it into your flush mount rod holder. The quick mounts themselves look angled so I can't figure out whether they are designed to fit into a 15 or 30 degree flush mount rod holder.

But anyways, I was thinking that maybe I could buy these quick mounts and then screw your standard horizontal rod holders to these, and then I can slide then into the flush mounts when I need them, and pull them out when I don't.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or thoughts or advice on what I'm considering ?

Also, anyone with a similar boat as me know whether there is even room inside the gunwales for a 15 or 30 degree flush mount rod holder to fit ?

Thanks so much for reading this and hopefully writing back !

Shawn
[email protected]
sworrall
Posted 4/8/2003 11:06 PM (#66339 - in reply to #64521)
Subject: RE: Flush-mount rod holders for trolling - question

Rather than go to the saltwater flush mounts, look into the flush mount female parts for the standard adjustable rod holders. They are near flush, take very little sapce and drilling, and are easy to install, PLUS they use the regular rod holders like Scotty, etc. The rod holders rotate and lift out, storing out of the way.
stephendawg
Posted 4/21/2003 11:19 AM (#67540 - in reply to #64521)
Subject: RE: Flush-mount rod holders for trolling - question

To expand a bit on Steve's comments, I have 4 side mount and 2 flush mount receivers made by Attwood. I use the adjustable rod holders and they seem to work great. The only downside I can see is the limited "Downward" positioning of the rod tip. I'm considering modifying my holders so I can rotate them down a little further so the rod tip will go under water in weedy conditions. I think an 8 footer might go under as long as you don't have too much freeboard on your boat. Mine is a 19' deep-vee so the gunwale is pretty high off the water. Otherwise, I like mine so far.