RIPPING Bulldawgs question
goose007us
Posted 7/2/2014 12:41 PM (#718850)
Subject: RIPPING Bulldawgs question

This ones for you guys that throw a lot of rubber. I have not thrown a ton but am trying to improve my overall skills and am headed up to northern MN later this year where I plan on throwing some pounders. When guys say they are ripping bulldawgs - and when I say ripping, I mean ripping as hard as they can - are some of the fish actually "snagged" when the fish comes over to inspect the bait and then essentially runs into the bait when it is ripped as opposed to the fish actually striking the bait trying to eat it? I've seen shows and heard guys talk where it appears/sounds like this is the case? Is this one of the benefits of the ripping technique? I may be mistaken, just thought I'd ask the experts here.

Also, how do you determine how you work a bulldawg as far as speed of retrieval goes? I understand there is no "wrong" way to work a bulldawg but what has been you guys' most successful techniques and at what time of year if it matters? Thanks very much.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 7/2/2014 12:45 PM (#718852 - in reply to #718850)
Subject: Re: RIPPING Bulldawgs question

I'm a ripper and I've never snagged one, but I suppose it's not out of the question for it to happen. I change my retrieve from slow to fast until I get a bite. Mostly I work it slower out further and then give it some hard rips right at the boat.
curleytail
Posted 7/2/2014 12:52 PM (#718855 - in reply to #718850)

I've had a fair amount of luck ripping rubber as hard as I can. Hard enough that I've cut the tails off rubber baits from ripping, and hard enough to go ummphhh at every rip.

I've never snagged one. I actually don't think I ever had one NOT hit on the pause while reeling up slack. I'm sure it's possible to snag them, but it hasn't happened to me, and I use the rip technique for the whole retrieve fairly often.
Riverrat351
Posted 7/2/2014 1:13 PM (#718864 - in reply to #718855)

I rip rubber fairly often and I have actually snagged one 41 incher in the tail. The vast majority hit it on the pause and are there when you go to rip it again. There are times they want it slower though.
tolle141
Posted 7/2/2014 5:17 PM (#718900 - in reply to #718850)

How are you guys approaching the different types of structure? When do you rip?
Esox Jake
Posted 7/2/2014 5:41 PM (#718906 - in reply to #718850)

I caught a 44" a few weeks ago ripping a regular dawg got him on the outside of his face.
muskieman6
Posted 7/2/2014 10:02 PM (#718940 - in reply to #718850)

Got one tonight on a pounder doing more of a light/slow pull than a rip
hoosierhunter
Posted 7/2/2014 10:18 PM (#718943 - in reply to #718850)

I have seen the same thing others on here have. Most of the time they tend to hit it on the drop, for me it is usually right as soon as the bait starts to drop as it changes pace and direction. I can remember snagging two of them while ripping, however I was not lucky enough to get either one in. The only reason I know they were snagged was the "evidence" left on the hook.
Schultz345
Posted 7/2/2014 10:18 PM (#718944 - in reply to #718850)

I do a lot of ripping with big floating crankbaits when they are in the shallows and I snagged one near the tail by doing this last fall. Wouldn't count on it though.
kodiak
Posted 7/3/2014 8:05 AM (#718980 - in reply to #718850)

just remember you cant count the ones you snag towards your yearly total
Travis A.
Posted 7/3/2014 10:07 AM (#719006 - in reply to #718850)

Usually always rip all season long until Mille Lacs trip in November then its low and slow. Never snagged one before but did T-bone a huge carp once and had a giant scale on my hook when it came in.
BNelson
Posted 7/3/2014 10:08 AM (#719007 - in reply to #718850)

just like any bait at times they might want a hard rip/pause retrieve, other times slower pulls / longer pauses...don't get pigeon holed into thinking that one way all the time is going to be the way the muskies want it...I like to rip dawgs/dussas etc... but at times a more suttle retrieve gets the hit... watch any of the old badfish vids and watch Lijewski rip pounders....that is some good training for ya! ; )
MuskyMATT7
Posted 7/3/2014 10:13 AM (#719008 - in reply to #719007)

BNelson - 7/3/2014 10:08 AM

just like any bait at times they might want a hard rip/pause retrieve, other times slower pulls / longer pauses...don't get pigeon holed into thinking that one way all the time is going to be the way the muskies want it...I like to rip dawgs/dussas etc... but at times a more suttle retrieve gets the hit... watch any of the old badfish vids and watch Lijewski rip pounders....that is some good training for ya! ; )

Agreed, exactly where I learned the premise and then after that each individual will figure out the duration one can "rip" mag dawgs or pounders.
muskyman08
Posted 7/5/2014 9:30 PM (#719324 - in reply to #718850)

Today I had a major breakthrough. Caught my first fish on a dawg. Unfortunately it was a small northern, however seeing anything eat it gives me more confidence. I've been throwing the rubber on and off with no success, but I do like what it does and think it has the potential for big fish. What kind of situations do you guys looks for and decide to throw rubber? Is it deeper weedbeds? Harder break lines? I'm trying to get more confident with a variety of things in my box and rubber is first on my list
bassinbob84
Posted 7/6/2014 12:27 AM (#719333 - in reply to #718850)

Throw it wherever it won't get tangled in the weeds. If it does switch to a shallow model. You can get a shallow dawg into some pretty skinny water.
Sam Ubl
Posted 7/6/2014 10:08 AM (#719361 - in reply to #718850)

A lot of times a hook will pull out of the mouth during the fight if the fish is rolling a lot and wind up "snagging" in the head or potentially in the body. Usually happens closer to the boat when things get a little wild.
zombietrolling
Posted 7/6/2014 10:40 AM (#719365 - in reply to #719324)

muskyman08 - 7/5/2014 10:30 PM

Today I had a major breakthrough. Caught my first fish on a dawg. Unfortunately it was a small northern, however seeing anything eat it gives me more confidence. I've been throwing the rubber on and off with no success, but I do like what it does and think it has the potential for big fish. What kind of situations do you guys looks for and decide to throw rubber? Is it deeper weedbeds? Harder break lines? I'm trying to get more confident with a variety of things in my box and rubber is first on my list

When the weeds are full and growing to the surface I'll drift over the tops of them near the edge, casting away from the weeds, varying the retrieve back to the edge. Muskies will fire out from the weeds to nail it. Good times.