A sad day for Bass Pro Shop associates.....
gw8muskie
Posted 3/19/2003 6:57 PM (#64280)
Subject: A sad day for Bass Pro Shop associates.....

This morning our big tiger muskie, Beethoven, was found dying on the bottom of the main aquarium. We could do nothing for her but just help her along. We do believe that old age took her and she will be missed by all the associates and customers. For those wanting to know her vitals, she measured 48 1/4 inches and came in at just under 39 pounds. To give you an idea as to how big she really was, the state record for tiger muskies in Illinois is 26 pound, meaning she would've beat it by 14 pounds easily. We do believe that she was the biggest tiger muskie in captivity but we're not sure. So if you come in and look for Beethoven you'll know what happened.
shorty
Posted 3/19/2003 7:44 PM (#64286 - in reply to #64280)
Subject: RE: A sad day for Bass Pro Shop associates.....

I hope you have her mounted, her majestic size and beauty can still live on. Critters of that magnitude should never be forgotten.
firstsixfeet
Posted 3/19/2003 10:10 PM (#64298 - in reply to #64280)

Here we go. Fish aint dead a day and we are already stretchin the truth about it. Hmmmmmmmm, under 39 pounds subtract 26 lb record leaves me less than 13 lbs, but this fish, dead only a day has alread grown to 14 lbs. over the state record. How big will she be in a week? Stay tuned! LOL!
sworrall
Posted 3/19/2003 11:55 PM (#64308 - in reply to #64298)

Sorry to hear about the loss of that magnificent fish. Old age does get them, just like any other critter. Easy, FSF, the guy proabably made an error in his math, that's all. Losing a huge hybrid like that could cause the same for me. I have some 'gills in my tank, and get a bit upset when one gets ill. People are funny; we get attached to critters pretty easily.
sworrall
Posted 3/20/2003 2:25 PM (#64357 - in reply to #64308)

Any word on the fate of the big girl? What are they going to do with the fish?
Robby D
Posted 3/20/2003 2:33 PM (#64361 - in reply to #64280)

I just saw this fish on Tuesday and she was big and beautiful, would have been great fun at the end of my line. My condolences to Beethoven and her family
Shep
Posted 3/20/2003 3:03 PM (#64372 - in reply to #64361)

DaveJ and I were down on Saturday. She actually was getting jiggy when the bass guy was tossing his baits across the tank. Sorry to see her life come to an end. Hopefully, she'll be mounted, and displayed in a prominent place.
ToddM
Posted 3/20/2003 4:14 PM (#64379 - in reply to #64280)

I am heading up to the show this saturday. That's one fat chick I liked gawking at. She will be missed.
davep
Posted 3/20/2003 8:14 PM (#64401 - in reply to #64280)

My 22 month old son loves watching fish so i videotaped the tank at BPS this past winter. I have Beethoven on tape in all her glory. It really was kinda cool to see her hanging out there.
gw8muskie
Posted 3/22/2003 8:55 AM (#64509 - in reply to #64357)

Steve, As per requirements, the tiger musky was sent where autopsies are done for all fish that die at any Bass Pro Shop. I think the request to have this fish mounted was done. We found out thru this area that one of our sturgeon died from a soft plastic bait thrown into the tank, and our big sheephead dying because it could'nt get rid of the eggs she held. Hope this helps.
Musky Fever
Posted 3/22/2003 9:07 AM (#64511 - in reply to #64280)

Sad to hear, I often wondered how big that baby was.
Used to take the kids and we would stand there forever and watch her just sit there in the corner of the tank motionless.
She was QUEEN of the tank!!!!!!!!!

Posted 3/22/2003 5:15 PM (#64532 - in reply to #64280)

I WILL HAVE TO DONATE MY LITLLE GUY TO THE STORE THAT I HAVE RAISED SINCE SHE WAS 4 INCHES LONG THIS PAST SEPTEMBER,NOW SHE IS ABOUT 22 INCHES.THE ARE AWSOME TO WATCH AND RAISE.I WILL BRING HER IN THIS WEEK WITH AN 16 INCH SMALLY THAT I ALSO RAISED FROM JUST A BABY.BUT ARE THEIR ANY LARGER PREDITOR FISH THAT MIGHT HAVE THEM FOR LUNCH IF SO I WILL HAVE TO PASS.THESE GUYS ARE LIKE MY KIDS YOU KNOW.
kevin
Posted 3/23/2003 8:51 PM (#64592 - in reply to #64280)

I was out there in january and watched as a kid tried to reach in and pet her. Actually grabbed him and made him stop. His mom looked at me like I was a psycho so I told her about its teeth...seemed to satisfy her. That was a big fish...