Bad luck or wrong gear?
Jbodeau
Posted 6/22/2014 8:10 PM (#717162)
Subject: Bad luck or wrong gear?

Hello,

This is my fourth year musky fishing. My first year I caught my first musky and was hooked. The last two years I have fished countless hours for musky and have hooked, not caught, 5 more. All five of these musky, including one big one this morning, have been boat side while I am trying to net them and they have shaken my lure. Unfortunately I am a poor college student so I am fishing with a 6'6" pole. Is the pole the problem, or is this just bad luck? I have sharpened the hooks on all of my lures . Maybe I just need to set harder?

It's just bittersweet being so close to getting another musky in the boat over the last two years, including this morning, but having no luck!

Thanks,

John
muskyhunter47
Posted 6/22/2014 8:34 PM (#717165 - in reply to #717162)
Subject: Re: Bad luck or wrong gear?

it happens .I had one on the opener caught it on one side of the boat brought it around the back of the boat as I was bringing it to my net man i seen it was barley hooked it gave me two head shakes and was gone. it happens to every one stick with it you will get one in the net,
jdsplasher
Posted 6/22/2014 8:50 PM (#717169 - in reply to #717165)

John, check your PM's!
muskie tamer
Posted 6/22/2014 10:26 PM (#717191 - in reply to #717162)

At least your getting them boat side. I can't seem to even get any follows. Seen some big fish, just not following my bait.
IAJustin
Posted 6/22/2014 11:15 PM (#717204 - in reply to #717162)

not trying to be demeaning BUT how you fight a fish can definitely make a difference as to IF they get to the net, there are times the fish just eat the bait "wrong" and not much you can do, I think we all loose our fair share in the first 1-3 seconds of the fight when fish are not hooked well....but if you have a fish pinned over 10 seconds most can be netted with good technique -IMO

edit: And I definitely think if you have a stiff 6'6" rod that could be causing you some problems keeping fish pinned!

Edited by IAJustin 6/22/2014 11:24 PM
musky slut
Posted 6/23/2014 7:14 AM (#717216 - in reply to #717162)

One of the things O don't hear talked about much that has lost me fish in this past is this ..... When fighting a fish , and lets say your rod is at 3'oclock and the fish goes the other direction and you now change your rod position to 9' o clock . As you change the rod from one side to the other ....... it comes unpinned . Instead of changing position of the rod , I will take the fish around the boat instead . I hope this makes some sense , it has cost me a fair amount of fish . One day it clicked and has helped since I have stopped
TheYoungGun_
Posted 6/23/2014 7:36 AM (#717217 - in reply to #717162)

I've had some of the same luck, lot of fish on dawgs getting off, even with the top hook cut..
Zib
Posted 6/23/2014 8:13 AM (#717226 - in reply to #717162)
Subject: RE: Bad luck or wrong gear?

Just keep at it. A longer rod would help but you can still get it done with the shorter rod.

In my 3rd year of musky fishing I had a day that almost made me quit musky fishy & take up bluegil fishing. One day in a 2 1/2 hour span I had 12 musky ( all in the low 30's to low 40's) either strike my bait or get hooked up & I didn't land a single one. At the time I was using a 7 1/2' MH Compre with a right handed reel (I'm right handed). The next year I went to a 9' rod & a left handed reel & I was losing a lot less fish. I think the main reason I lost less fish was because I switched to a left handed reel, which allowed me to set the hook with my much stronger right arm.

tolle141
Posted 6/23/2014 8:44 AM (#717236 - in reply to #717162)

A longer rod has better pick up and will keep the slack out of your line. Lots of great musky rods out there for a college student (that's when I started).

I'd ask for really good polarized sunglasses for your birthday if you want to catch more fish. Really mean that.
Reggie54
Posted 6/23/2014 8:57 AM (#717237 - in reply to #717162)

Wouldn't be a bad idea to loosen up your drag after your hookset. Also, if I get a fish to eat boatside I like to set the hook 2 or 3 times just because that first hookset is so quick and unexpected that close in. A musky's mouth is like armor even for razor sharp hooks. Might be worth trying.
douglaswood34
Posted 6/23/2014 9:57 AM (#717248 - in reply to #717162)

Speaking of drag, I generally have mine set very light. Its generally set high enough to get an initial hook set, but then will hold my thumb on the spool to set again. I have seen too many fish lost due to trying to adjust the drag while fighting the fish. Also have seen several lose fish because the let the fish dive, and their drag was too hard and they couldn't loosen it fast enough, then snap! Those persons have since heeded my advice for using heavier line instead of the light line so they could have more on the spool. The longer rod definitely helps, but is by no means the answer to all your woes. We all have fish that strike short, and barely get a hook in the right place. Lost two yesterday to that, plus one last Friday to letting up pressure. It happens. We just keep putting your time in and try to minimize the mistakes. The fish will come. You'll get to a point where you don't give it a second thought when you lose one on a bad hookset, UNLESSS its that absolute monster! If you are losing every fish, it's a problem. Maybe you know someone with more experience you can go out with and observe what they do. If you are seeing fish, you are at least doing one thing right, that being finding them! Most people have the problem of not being able to find them. That in itself is half the battle.
brmusky
Posted 6/23/2014 10:09 AM (#717252 - in reply to #717162)

From the info you provided, I would focus on the hookset and the drag. My preference is to set the hook hard..... when northern hits one of my lures, I will set the hook so hard sometimes that the pike comes out of the water. The once a fish is hooked, I loosen my drag at some point before it gets to the boat. If it hits boatside, I loosen it as fast as I can without losing control of the fish. Usually boatside stuff I am walking in circles around the boat to "lead" it around while I can loosen my drag. I think a drag too tight will rip the hooks right out of the soft part of a fish's mouth when they get violent near the boat.
Good Luck! At least you are hooking them.
CiscoKid
Posted 6/23/2014 10:14 AM (#717257 - in reply to #717162)
Subject: RE: Bad luck or wrong gear?

From what you describe it sounds like you are fishing by yourself, and they are getting off while trying to scoop by yourself? If that is the case the first thing I would do is get yourself a partner. Until then just accept you will lose fish while trying to net them alone. You can up your odds a bit by yourself if you play the fish out longer, and not try to net them as green. Also try to net them when they are “gliding” in smoothly rather than if they are thrashing.
curleytail
Posted 6/23/2014 1:16 PM (#717311 - in reply to #717162)

It could be a lot of things, netting fish alone can be tough. When I started, I hooked a long stick to my bait and practiced netting it. Seems silly, but it helped me figure out how much line I needed out, and the motion required to net something alone.

I also remember starting with a 6'6" rod. I remember getting a hit, and having to REEL REEL REEL!!!! to get tension on a fish (and it was only a MH rod, not extra stiff). When I moved to rods 8' and longer, they keep a nice bend so much better, and keep good tension on a fish throughout the whole fight.

Not only that, I didn't catch any fish on figure 8's till I went to longer rods. They sure help, with a lot of acpects of musky fishing. I've been using Tackle Industries 9' rods for a few years now and like them a lot. I think they still cost less than $150. I started this game in college too, and understand that good equipment is hard to afford. But, if you can save up some money, I think you'll enjoy an 8'6" - 9' rod. Could make a difference.

With that said, sometimes the just get off!
FAT-SKI
Posted 6/23/2014 4:01 PM (#717349 - in reply to #717311)

If it makes you feel any better. I have the curse right now. I have lost 19 straight fish. That is hooked and lost fish. Some away from the boat, some at the boat. I have decent gear and I know I am not a bad stick. I'm hoping the curse is lifted soon or else I might lose my mind all together. So if you have lost 5 straight, you have a long way to go to break my record of ridiculousness. Just keep at it as I do. One day we will both be rewarded for the hard work, I hope mine comes in a 50" package
MOJOcandy101
Posted 6/23/2014 4:39 PM (#717363 - in reply to #717162)

I am right there with yea! I've been hunting for 3 years now, have seen countless fish follow and many fish caught by others in the boat. I finally had my chance this last weekend and actually felt how strong these fish are but she decided to spit the suick with a head shake after about 20-30 seconds of me just about peeing my pants. I was ready to throw my new setup in the lake and go home.

Ended up fishing for another hour and then planning my next trip.

Good luck to yea
Jbodeau
Posted 6/23/2014 4:44 PM (#717364 - in reply to #717162)

Hey all,

Thanks for all the quick and thorough responses, I am going to try to take every word of advice and use it and see what I can do. Hopefully I can find an affordable rod too. Over the fourth of july week I hope to get about 35 hours of fishing in so hopefully I will finally be able to get one in the boat!!
douglaswood34
Posted 6/23/2014 6:53 PM (#717384 - in reply to #717162)

Another aspect of having the longer rod is that you can add depth to your figure 8 much easier. Every little bit of help to entice those fish to take it and run!
achotrod
Posted 6/23/2014 10:45 PM (#717435 - in reply to #717162)

Ill say using a smaller rod(heavy bass/walleye stuff) in the past lost me a lot of fish still does when I fish from the kayak. Havent lost anything that got hooked since using a muskie rod.
Tjhollywood22
Posted 6/29/2014 12:06 PM (#718314 - in reply to #717162)

I had very similar bad luck my first 5 years of muskie fishing. Back then I mainly fished single treble buck tails with 6'6" rods. I could get in the smaller fish ok, but anytime I got a big fish on, it would figure out a way to shake off before I could get it in the net. I did a lot of soul searching, probably similar to what you are doing now. At first I just tried making sure my hooks were sharp and that I mentally reminded myself to make a solid hook set. That helped but I would still occasionally lose big fish. Two years ago, I started using all 8'6" - 9'5" rods. I also will only use tandem treble buck tails...usually twin 8's, 9's, or 10's. Since then (knock on wood) I haven't lost any big fish and have actually caught my personal best several times over. I think the longer rods act as kind of a drag and getting two sets of hooks in the mouth helps keep them on. I also think forcing myself to throw bigger baits has seen me catch bigger fish. Give it a try.
MstrMusky
Posted 6/29/2014 12:40 PM (#718317 - in reply to #717349)

FAT-SKI - 6/23/2014 4:01 PM

If it makes you feel any better. I have the curse right now. I have lost 19 straight fish.

19? OMG, they'd be sending me into the psychiatric ward at the local mental hospital if that happened to me. I'd be in the fetal position in the front of the boat muttering to myself. That just seems like an inordinate amount of consecutive bad luck. Wow. Hope it turns for ya.
FISHFINDER101
Posted 6/30/2014 11:34 AM (#718479 - in reply to #717162)

When fishing and netting a fish by myself, I always make sure i have the net ready for one, because i tend to make a few casts before getting the net set up. The thing that helps me the most is making sure i leave enough line out when trying to net the fish. I use 8'6 and 9ft rod the majority of the time, so when i have a fish up to the boat i have around 8'6 of line out, this way if the fish wants to run i can easily give the fish a little line, once the fish is over/in the net, i simply drop my rod tip down and let the line go slack right away.
FAT-SKI
Posted 6/30/2014 7:02 PM (#718563 - in reply to #718317)

MstrMusky - 6/29/2014 12:40 PM

If it makes you feel any better. I have the curse right now. I have lost 19 straight fish.

19? OMG, they'd be sending me into the psychiatric ward at the local mental hospital if that happened to me. I'd be in the fetal position in the front of the boat muttering to myself. That just seems like an inordinate amount of consecutive bad luck. Wow. Hope it turns for ya.

Part bad luck, part bad me....

But trust me bro. I'm a very easy going dude, but getting seriously frustrated, I just need one solid chance, a hot follow, another strike.... SOMETHING, ANYTHING! I am legitimately one lost fish away from asking for my straight jacket and the little white pills to bring in the happy butterflies.

That being said I pray to two gods.... The musky gods and the poker gods. I am thoroughly convinced the musky gods hate me right now. But the poker Gods... Well, they have been more then kind. Out of my last ten games I have 8 1st place finishes and 2 second place finishes. Not that I don't like winning money (cause obviously I do) but the gods can trade back anytime now. If I need to lose $ to catch fish.... then so be it. summer only lasts so long
RyanJoz
Posted 6/30/2014 8:19 PM (#718581 - in reply to #717162)

Where are you located? Fish with me if you are in IL in the fall. I will get you hooked up. No I do not guide, but I am willing to help out.
whynot
Posted 7/1/2014 8:16 AM (#718637 - in reply to #718563)

FAT-SKI - 6/30/2014 7:02 PM

MstrMusky - 6/29/2014 12:40 PM

Part bad luck, part bad me....

But trust me bro. I'm a very easy going dude, but getting seriously frustrated, I just need one solid chance, a hot follow, another strike.... SOMETHING, ANYTHING! I am legitimately one lost fish away from asking for my straight jacket and the little white pills to bring in the happy butterflies.

That being said I pray to two gods.... The musky gods and the poker gods. I am thoroughly convinced the musky gods hate me right now. But the poker Gods... Well, they have been more then kind. Out of my last ten games I have 8 1st place finishes and 2 second place finishes. Not that I don't like winning money (cause obviously I do) but the gods can trade back anytime now. If I need to lose $ to catch fish.... then so be it. summer only lasts so long

Start bringing more beer in the boat...and drink it. That's what broke my 0 for 11 hooked fish start 4 years ago.
FAT-SKI
Posted 7/1/2014 9:12 AM (#718649 - in reply to #718581)

RyanJoz - 6/30/2014 8:19 PM

Where are you located? Fish with me if you are in IL in the fall. I will get you hooked up. No I do not guide, but I am willing to help out.

Thanks for the offer, If I end up down there I'll let you know. I live in MN. My wheels have never turned so much or so fast trying to think of how and when I can brake this streak.

Hmmm. My general rule is one beer per trip.. maybe I'll bump it up to 2 or 6 Ha!
whynot
Posted 7/2/2014 7:19 AM (#718795 - in reply to #717162)

Muskie fishing is like darts, pool, bowling, lawn games, etc. Gotta find that perfect beer zone! Just kidding, I'm usually a guy that doesn't drink more than 1 or 2 in the boat if someone brings it...but actively drinking beer was the cure that year!
Ranger
Posted 7/15/2014 1:31 PM (#720782 - in reply to #717162)

sticky-sharp hooks x proper drag tension x longer rod x a BIG net = very few fish lost anytime