Rod butt extension question
joelo7
Posted 6/15/2014 6:47 PM (#715821)
Subject: Rod butt extension question

Want to extend the butt on my rod 4" for casting pounders. Was thinking of doing it myself. Im pretty handy and it seems easy enough. my question is what is the best material to use for the extension? I bought a hardwood dowel that i thought would be good, but i also have a broken rod that i thought to use but the piece wiggles a little in the rod but. Dont know if thats a big deal or not. Called a rod shop and the guy told me to use a piece of aluminum.
A little help from those of you that had this done or did it yourself, on what you used for the extension.
Thanks Guys
Tight Lines
musky513
Posted 6/15/2014 8:33 PM (#715843 - in reply to #715821)
Subject: Re: Rod butt extension question

I build custom rods...
I would use a piece of a rod blank that is heavy enough and has a similar taper as the original rod you are extending. That would be the best option. Aluminum would work as well, but you will need to make sure there are no burs sticking off it if you cut it. You would then need to shim it as well so it doesn't wiggle. Use some drywall tape or masking tape to make the shims. Two part epoxy, like rod bond, is the epoxy you will want to use. Either eva foam or cork on the extension would work to cover the extension. Use the same epoxy on that as you use to hold the extension inside the original rod.
5th lake Brad
Posted 6/16/2014 6:03 AM (#715895 - in reply to #715821)

Go to a golf store and find a piece of shaft that fits perfectly in the butt end of the rod. They may have pieces that are leftover from custom clubs. Epoxy as stated above, and order some cork rings. It's not hard you may not end up looking as perfect as if a rod builder did it. It's hard to sand the cork evenly without a rod lathe.
zombietrolling
Posted 6/16/2014 3:06 PM (#716018 - in reply to #715843)

musky513 - 6/15/2014 9:33 PM

I build custom rods...
I would use a piece of a rod blank that is heavy enough and has a similar taper as the original rod you are extending. That would be the best option. Aluminum would work as well, but you will need to make sure there are no burs sticking off it if you cut it. You would then need to shim it as well so it doesn't wiggle. Use some drywall tape or masking tape to make the shims. Two part epoxy, like rod bond, is the epoxy you will want to use. Either eva foam or cork on the extension would work to cover the extension. Use the same epoxy on that as you use to hold the extension inside the original rod.

^^^This. I run the extension up into the rod so it ends at the reel seat and wrap the blank with masking tape so it fits snug in the rod. Not the whole blank but a bunch of spots on the extension to get as much contact as possible. I try to get the cork to match but I use handle wrap so it covers the imperfections nicely.