Abu Garcia Parts Warranty

Posted 3/17/2003 8:34 PM (#64028)
Subject: Abu Garcia Parts Warranty

I just got off the phone today from Outdoor World Rod & Reel Repair. I sent in four Abu Garcia reels to be fixed. They called and said that Abu Garcia does not cover the cost on parts as they use to do on the older Garcia reels. One reel that I sent in would cost as much as a new one. Shame on Abu Garcia for the lowdown move on not living up to the lifetime warranty on parts for the older reels. I was told that Abu Garcia has not honored the parts warranty for over a year and a half.
It is a shame that the older Abu reels are now part of our throw away society like the TV and the VCR. JJ
reelman
Posted 3/17/2003 9:46 PM (#64038 - in reply to #64028)
Subject: RE: Abu Garcia Parts Warranty

How old is your reel? Do you have the warranty yet? Have you read it? The lifetime warranty for reels before about '75 said Abu would fix your reel for $3.50 plus the cost of parts. Reels form '85 to '91 also have a lifetime warranty, but it also states that normal wear and tear is not covered. If you use your reel often for 10 to 15 years parts will wear out, that's a fact of life. People to aften think that a lifetime warranty means that they can do anything they want to a product and then get a new one - it don't work that way.

Just be thankfull that you can still get parts for your older Abu's most other reels that are 10+ years old there are no parts for.

Posted 3/17/2003 11:15 PM (#64051 - in reply to #64038)

Reelman, these reels are from 1989-1995. All I know is that the reel parts were covered under warranty for years and now they are not. Labor was the only cost involved. I would only get about a year or two out of the worm gears and other parts. Nobody expects them to last forever. You use to be able to have them repaired for about a quarter of the price of a new Abu. Not now. Cost of repairs is getting to be about the same as a new reel. Unless you do the labor yourself. JJ
erico
Posted 3/18/2003 8:44 AM (#64080 - in reply to #64051)

JJ,

Did you ever think it's just Bass Pros line to get more $$ out of you? I only saw this because I've sent reels directly to Abu Garcia, without proof of purchase, and have had them repaired at no charge. Heck, one reel I bought used, sent in it when the push button wouldn't engage and they sent me a brand new reel at no charge.

I'd ask BPS for the reels back, and send them to Abu and see what happens.
SteveHulbert
Posted 3/18/2003 8:57 AM (#64082 - in reply to #64028)

I think Erico has it right.

Get your reels back from BPS and send them to Iowa yourself.  Abu has the best warranty for any gear that we musky fishermen use.

Edited by Phishin 3/18/2003 8:59 AM

Posted 3/18/2003 9:56 AM (#64090 - in reply to #64028)

Thanks for the info. Years ago I sent a reel to Abu Garcia. They sent it to Texas to be fixed. The cost was about the same as Outdoor World Rod and Reel Repair. I have also sent them to WI. But that repair shop was not a warranty center. The work was excellent. But the cost of the parts started to add up with labor, shipping and insurance that the WI shop charged. I went back to BPS. Service and price was fair. Remember these are 5500c and 6500c that had lifetime warranty on parts and I was not getting charged for the parts. These reels were well over a year old. Was this the correct policy? I don't really know or do I care. I only know that the reels were being fixed for less than a half to a quarter of the cost of a new one. I also have through the years ordered parts and repaired some myself. Outdoor Reel called and said for four reels the cost would be around 211.00. May be I am too sentimental about the reels. I told them to fix them. Don at Outdoor Reel called me back and said that one reel(6500c) would cost about 70 bucks. I thought about it and told him to fix the others and send that reel back. Outdoor Reel saved me money. I don't think they are out to cheat anyone. I'm guessing they are still a warranty center. Don said Abu has changed hands and has changed policy. I hoped you could stay with this long message. Thanks, JJ
ChadG
Posted 3/18/2003 11:56 AM (#64100 - in reply to #64028)

I will tell you how our service has worked with abu over the last five years or so. We have a reel go down, whatever the reason. Monday we send it to Spirit Lake, 99% of the time Friday it is back at my front door with very little if any repair costs. Our cost if usually just freight. They have repaired reels, some reels they have replaced with newer models again at no cost to me. I live in Iowa so maybe my turn around will be a day or two quicker. The nice thing about abu is that of the 10 that I have I might sent in one a year, maybe.
gcrandall
Posted 3/18/2003 1:16 PM (#64113 - in reply to #64028)

I have had a similar experince as ChadG. My experience with Spirit Lake has been absolutely excellent. It makes you think twice about buying their competitors reels - because once you own it and use it a lot, ongoing maintenance is crucial. Abu Garcia-Spirit Lake-nothing is better.
SteveHulbert
Posted 3/18/2003 3:03 PM (#64124 - in reply to #64113)

I've only sent my reels back to Spirit Lake, IA.  Everytime I do, I usually get the reel fixed for free OR they give me a new reel.  One time they charged me when I packed 5 reel into a box.  They wanted a whopping $28 to pay for a part or two, and pay for shipping.  Most of the time, they send 'em back and pay the shipping too.

Abu stands head and shoulders above every reel manufacturer there is.  Bar None. 

AWH
Posted 3/18/2003 3:31 PM (#64127 - in reply to #64028)

When you send in a reel to Abu, do you need a claim number or anything first? Or can you just send it in with a note explaining what you need done?
SteveHulbert
Posted 3/18/2003 3:42 PM (#64128 - in reply to #64028)

I send them just with a note explaining what's wrong with the reel(s) and make sure to leave a daytime phone number and return address.