mounting creeper wings
mnmusky
Posted 6/14/2014 4:57 PM (#715659)
Subject: mounting creeper wings

Looking for tips on mounting creeper wings...I have about 6 creepers of various makers and all of them, that when the wings are closed, have the tips at or beyond the tip/front of the lure. Is this critical? I made a body for a creeper and to make it "look" its best, the wings would be mounted on the rear 1/3 rd of the body. also, if the tips of the wings were to point down a little or " dig in" the water more, would that be not good? thanks in advance for your info.
Kenslures
Posted 6/14/2014 5:24 PM (#715662 - in reply to #715659)
Subject: Re: mounting creeper wings

Hey mnmusky, not sure if mounting the wings back would work as I have never tried that. When I did my first one I had all kinds of problems and most of them would just spin in the water as the wings acted like a large propeller. I mounted them on center and the wings were ahead of the nose slightly. Then I tried mounting the back screw on center and the front one 1/8" below center. Gently turn both wings inward slightly and when the wings are all the way open they shouldn't be more than 45 degrees. Try that, if you need to turn it more do only a little bit at a time as it don't take much. Once you get the hang of it its EZ. I will show you one of my creeper wings. If you have any other questions please email me or pm me and I will see if I can help. Where do you live?? Good luck. Ken

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Small Creeper Winged MuskieBurger.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Small Creeper Winged MuskieBurger.jpg (88KB - 204 downloads)
mnmusky
Posted 6/14/2014 5:58 PM (#715666 - in reply to #715659)

I figured center would be best. Thank you for that! Here are pics of the body (in original posting)
. As you can see its quite an odd shape. Its basically going to be a mean snake head when finished. I like that Kenslures creeper!
mnmusky
Posted 6/14/2014 6:01 PM (#715667 - in reply to #715659)
Subject: RE: mounting creeper wings

Oops! here are pics of the creeper needing help with wing mounting.

(IMAG1174.jpg)

(IMAG1176.jpg)

(IMAG1175.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMAG1174.jpg (99KB - 187 downloads)
Attachments IMAG1176.jpg (99KB - 187 downloads)
Attachments IMAG1175.jpg (91KB - 193 downloads)
castmaster
Posted 6/18/2014 8:01 PM (#716564 - in reply to #715659)

I mount my wings level and very slightly below centerline. I have doubts if a wing that is tipped downward will work, but I have never tried it so certainly do not know for sure. All you can do is give it a shot and if it works great and if not simply move the wings.
castmaster
Posted 6/21/2014 4:01 PM (#717017 - in reply to #715659)

I forget if you said your using store bought wings or making them. If your making them another easy thing to try would be to make the bracket "longer" on the part the wing pins go through. That would set the wings out further from the body allowing them to close past 90 degrees at the nose while still letting you mount them behind the head of the lure.
Shoot me a pm or mail if youd like and we can go over some ideas. Definitely a neat looking body.
mnmusky
Posted 6/21/2014 5:04 PM (#717023 - in reply to #715667)
Subject: RE: mounting creeper wings

well. It failed as a creeper. Was a big propeller no matter how I positioned the wings. I then turned it into a deep crank by adding the metal lip. It works excellent as a crankbait. Lots of action. I like it so much I'm going to make more of them. I didnt want to scrap the lure as I had so much time into carving it.

(IMAG1231.jpg)

(IMAG1230.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMAG1231.jpg (45KB - 209 downloads)
Attachments IMAG1230.jpg (83KB - 212 downloads)