Tuning Soft Plastics?
TheShow
Posted 6/14/2014 2:03 AM (#715574)
Subject: Tuning Soft Plastics?

I know a lot of anglers out there swear by soft plastics however, I for one, have had very limited success. I've thrown the medusas and the bull dawgs, with sweeping pulls, violent rips, bouncin structure, tried everything, nothing.

Anyhow, I noticed that one of my medusas and a couple of my dawgs arc upward and to the baits right when pulled/ripped. They don't retrieve straight. Should I be tuning these baits? How? Should I just twist the harness in the opposite direction?

Just looking for some feedback if I'm doing something wrong or if I should be tuning these inconsistencies. Thanks!
Big Show
MstrMusky
Posted 6/14/2014 9:13 AM (#715594 - in reply to #715574)
Subject: Re: Tuning Soft Plastics?

Most guys I've fished with will straighten the Bulldawgs front to back, and then turn the head down just slightly.

You know, I'm with you on Bulldawgs. I've not been very successful with them. I haven't caught a single fish since they moved away from the 7-strand wire years ago (maybe 2003/2004), but I'm convinced it's me. I came to this conclusion last year when Steve Herbeck gave me one of his Bulldawgs to throw. I didn't move anything for about 3-4 spots. I took the Dawg off, and gave it back to him and went back to a Grandma. First spot after this, fishing behind me and two others...Steve catches a ~41" Pike, a < 40" Musky, and then hooks into about a 47-48" Musky (but lost it) all on consecutive spots.

Steve was laughing when he took the Bulldawg off and gave it back to me. Now, I was watching how he was working it, and started working it the same. He even watched me and said "yeah, thats it. Work it like that." I didn't see a thing on it.

The flip side is that nobody can work a Grandma like I can. I can give my "magic" Grandma to my friends, and they won't raise a fish. I'll put it on and raise or catch fish on it.

Bottom line is, some people work baits "just right". Tune your baits, and get some boat time with people who are successful with the bait styles you want to toss. It's the only way to learn. It IS frustrating though...