St.Croix Legend Tournament
BigTomP34
Posted 6/13/2014 9:53 AM (#715427)
Subject: St.Croix Legend Tournament

I have a St.Croix Premier and I'm looking to get another set up and was thinking about a Legend Tournament but I'm wondering if its worth the extra cash or should I just stick with the premier line?
dami0101
Posted 6/13/2014 10:00 AM (#715429 - in reply to #715427)
Subject: Re: St.Croix Legend Tournament

It’s personal preference. Some people will say yes it’s worth it, others will say no it’s not. Is it a better rod? Maybe. But only you can decide if the price is worth it. I stepped up from a St. Croix Mojo Musky to a Predator, a $350 difference between the rods, and while the Predator is amazing, I’m not sure yet that it was really worth it at the end of the day because there was actually nothing wrong with the way the Mojo Musky performed.
Basschamp167
Posted 6/15/2014 11:25 PM (#715868 - in reply to #715427)

I think they're worth it. I've owned the Slingblade and Top N' Tail. Loved the taper and power of the Top N' Tail, definitely one of my favorite rods I've ever owned. Slingblade was a beast, no problem launching magnum bulldawgs or burning a double 10. It was little long for me but I'm a short guy. I love how lightweight they are, they pair well with a lot of different reels, whether round or low-profile. And it doesn't wear you out to fish with all day.

Made with the best blends of graphite and best of all they're MADE IN THE USA! Oh, and they have a lifetime warranty!

I own seven Legends in total. All seven are from the bass line, but I use the Swimbait stick for Muskie duty. Sold the two muskie series rods to buy the swimbait and never looked back. Think I'm gonna have a custom rod made with that as a blank.

I don't work for Croix, wish I did, just love their products.
PredLuR
Posted 6/16/2014 8:08 AM (#715910 - in reply to #715427)

To speak directly to your question, pick up a legend tournament and compare the weight to a premier and you will notice the difference. I did and you cant believe how much lighter they are.

Its nice to know that if you break the $300-350 rod you can pretty much get it replaced or repaired for next to nothing. That piece of mind is sometimes worth the price right there. You really do get a lifetime warranty.

Oh, and you get to use one of the best rods in the industry.
vegas492
Posted 6/16/2014 1:49 PM (#715999 - in reply to #715427)

I once thought they were worth it. I bought one (Long Ranger). Sold it after a year.
Found out that I liked Okuma just as much and it had more power. Recently I found that I really like Musky Innovations rods too.
So like others, I'd say that it is personal preference. I also drool over the new Croix's at the shops, but I don't know that I'll be getting one any time soon as I love my MI and Okuma rods.
beerforthemuskygods
Posted 6/16/2014 4:24 PM (#716038 - in reply to #715427)

I am sold on the legends. I have used quite a few different kinds over the years and have been upgrading to legends (and better reels) for a total of 6 so far. They simply do not wear me out.
Musky Face
Posted 6/16/2014 7:07 PM (#716067 - in reply to #715427)

8 letters BIG NASTY!!!!
RyanJoz
Posted 6/16/2014 7:44 PM (#716077 - in reply to #715427)

They have proven to be some of the most durable rods I have owned. I own 3 now. I have had many of the other brands mentioned by others in this thread. To avoid bashing, I will just say that I broke 8 of one of the mentioned rods through normal casting and retrieving. Never use the rods to free a snag either. I haven't broken any that way but have seen plenty of others do this...
muskiewhored
Posted 6/16/2014 7:52 PM (#716082 - in reply to #715427)

The warrantee process is worth the extra price alone, for me its already paid off the difference. Not saying others aren't great, but I've used only the LT's both muskie and other species (must say the power spin is awesome). Every rod now I own "but one", which is a worse case scenario rod I carry (the exact reason why i didn't spend +money on it), is the LT's.
MstrMusky
Posted 6/16/2014 8:04 PM (#716087 - in reply to #715427)

I've got Premiere's and Legends (2 of each in various sizes). Is the Legend all around better? Yes...materials, build quality, fit n finish...for sure. Whether it's worth the 50% premium (+/-) is up to you, and thats what the others are getting at by saying it's personal preference. I have yet to see the 9' Premiere rods (2 piece), but I think it's probably pretty hard to beat the 9' Legend Big Nasty. Where it gets interesting is when you get down to the 8'6" Big Dawg (XH) and Sling Blade (H) vs. the corresponding rod in the Premeire series.

I like them all, and honestly can't say I prefer one over the other. I wouldn't mind picking up another 8'6" XH Premiere (it's probably my favorite rod, and I'd like to have a "backup" of it), and at the same time in the Legend Series...I wouldn't mind getting a Top N Tail. I plan to use the Sling Blade a bit more this year, as last year I was enamored with my Big Nasty & my favorite rod (noted above).

Bottom line...they both get the job done. Get the rod that fits within your budget, and I personally don't think other than maybe the Big Nasty that I'd "stretch" to get the Legend. But if you got the cash, then certainly the Legends are some of the best rods out there and you will not be disappointed.
jboutdoorguy
Posted 6/16/2014 8:11 PM (#716092 - in reply to #715427)

I have 3 legends and love them all more than my other rods.
jwegs
Posted 6/16/2014 8:33 PM (#716106 - in reply to #716092)

Love my Slingblade! Versatile rod that is awesome to fish with, it's worth it!
tip up
Posted 6/16/2014 9:13 PM (#716118 - in reply to #716106)

jwegs - 6/16/2014 8:33 PM

Love my Slingblade! Versatile rod that is awesome to fish with, it's worth it!

Big Nasty if you are in to long rods!
Big W
Posted 6/17/2014 1:31 PM (#716240 - in reply to #715427)

I own three legend rods...Big Nasty, Sling Blade, and the Top N' Tail....fishing the Flambeau river I have made a few trips to the St. Croix rod factory....love them!