Truck & Trailer Maintenance?
Fishing Hero
Posted 3/17/2003 3:40 AM (#63945)
Subject: Truck & Trailer Maintenance?

Just purchased a new boat and trailer. I have noticed that some of the ramps I will be using will most likely require that the rear wheels of my vehicle will be in the water, and of course the trailer wheels will be submerged. Wondering what sort of maintenance that this will require? Thanks

Edited by Fishing Hero 3/17/2003 3:42 AM
mikie
Posted 3/17/2003 7:43 AM (#63958 - in reply to #63945)
Subject: RE: Truck & Trailer Maintenance?

Welcome to the board, and to the boat owner's club. Boats are holes in the water you throw money into. Or, as Treats taught me: Break Out Another Thousand $. Anyway, you'll need some form of trailer bearing protection, either Bearing Buddies, or like I have ,where grease can be pumped into the hub to exclude water. Use a good, marine grade bearing grease and don't over-fill to allow for expansion.
As far as the truck, just make sure if you are towing to keep fresh grease in the differential and check your tranny fluid often. Practice launching and loading at uncrowded ramps so you can take time and learn without the pressure of holding up a line of boaters. good luck and have a great season. m
Trophymuskie
Posted 3/17/2003 8:10 AM (#63961 - in reply to #63945)

I use my trailler every day so every spring I have the bearing repacked anr/or replaced if need be. You don't want to have bearing go bad in the middle of nowhere. Make sure you have guide ons and add posts so you can see your trailler when backing down a ramp.
Ranger
Posted 3/17/2003 8:29 AM (#63964 - in reply to #63961)

These guys are steering you right.

If the trailer is used, go ahead and replace the bearings now, so you'll know for sure they are in good shape. It's scary if you've never done it before, but very easy once you give it a try. Find someone who will show you the first time, or even do the job in the back parking lot of the marina with the repair dude coming out now and then to check on you. Arrange ahead of time to pay them a little for the oversight. I just taught myself after reading how to do it.

Guide ons, with the white PVC pipes sticking up, are great. You can get them for like $30 from Bass Pro and Cabelas.

If you don't already have them, get submersible trailer lights. Then you won't have to remember to unhook the lights each time (some folks unhook them anyway).

Get some hip wader boots for loading your boat. That way you can back your trailer out much further and just walk out into the water to help guide it on. Saves tons of time.

hmmmm...all I can think of right now. have fun
Fishing Hero
Posted 3/18/2003 5:37 AM (#64067 - in reply to #63945)

Thanks - I never would have thought about some of those ideas.
Doc
Posted 3/18/2003 9:10 AM (#64085 - in reply to #63945)

Do any of you rotate your trailer tires?