Prop Wash trolling

Posted 3/11/2003 4:59 PM (#63351)
Subject: Prop Wash trolling

I am wondering what the technique is like and what equipment is used. I saw some rods on a New York lake being used that were like 4' long. Is this the accepted rod, or are there lots of ways to skin this cat?
Musky Fever
Posted 3/11/2003 6:13 PM (#63359 - in reply to #63351)
Subject: RE: Prop Wash trolling

Summer,

I use my 6'9" St. Croix for the prop wash, just let enough line out to get the bait behind the boat and your in. When a fish hits it's wild, no line so they go straight up sometimes. GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!
PunchandJudy
Posted 3/11/2003 6:22 PM (#63362 - in reply to #63351)

We always run one in the wash with a 6'9" St.Croix. with some weight to get just below the wash. Weighted spinner baits work great also.
jerryb
Posted 3/11/2003 9:34 PM (#63408 - in reply to #63351)

Trolling a bait in the wash sure is a rush when that dude goes off! I use a 5' rod and run a 7 or 800 spoonplug with about 4 layers.
lobi
Posted 3/18/2003 9:02 PM (#64163 - in reply to #63351)

jerry..4 layers of what?
I had one hit last year on a propwash rod on a reel with no line out alarm, I was trolling alone and playing with the gps, watching out for jet-skis, eating a sandwich...When I looked back there was a nice fish thrashing on the surface about 200 feet back. Needless to say no hookset and a long crank back in : ( No more trolling without clicker reels!
jerryb
Posted 3/18/2003 11:34 PM (#64176 - in reply to #63351)
Subject: RE: 1st slime

lobi,
Layers meaning layers or raps of line, the number of times the line guide goes from one side of the reel to the other. Landed a couple of muskies this last weekend one in the wash also 3 bass (bumping) an 18" a 19" and also a 20".
sworrall
Posted 3/19/2003 8:20 AM (#64196 - in reply to #64176)
Subject: RE: 1st slime

While I was fishing with Crash last year in New York, he told me about some of the rigs he saw out that way. The rods were very short, and basically pointed directly down into the water while trolling. What do any of you know about these rods?
muskiekid
Posted 3/19/2003 8:21 AM (#64197 - in reply to #63351)

I've been using a 5' spoonplugging rod for the wash. Although (up til' now) the lakes I fish are electric-only, I have had success letting a lure out to the end of the turbulence (about 25 ft) caused by the electric motor as I troll with it. My favorit lure for this is a 8" perch Believer.

Jerry: wondering what kind of rod you are using? Thanks - Tom
RK
Posted 3/19/2003 10:13 AM (#64216 - in reply to #63351)

Hiya,
A lot of the very short rods you see for wash trolling are saltwater' boat rods.' I know Shakespeare Ugly Stiks are pretty popular for this - cheap, and basically indestructable. I'm not sure about models, but a couple places to look are in back issues of the In-Fisherman. Matt Straw did an article on it maybe 3-4 years ago with a guy from Lake St. Clair named Kurt Bynum (a.k.a. 'Rocketman'). Kurt had a website at one time that pretty well described the shortline trolling he does, including equipment, but I'm not sure if it's still up. Kurt also makes Terminator crankbaits, which, if you can get them, are really awesome shortline trolling cranks.

*** Just checked*** Kurt's website is still up. www.muskie-lures.com/rocketman Good info, and pretty entertaining too. It'll tell you about all you need to know on shortlinign, at least as it's practiced on St. Clair...

Really though, any trolling rod will work more or less. I use a mish-mash of rods for shortlining, but several of them are All Star Western Inshores (which I think are now called the Big Game Series or something.) I know a couple other guys that use Berkley catfish rods or Diawa dipsey diver rods. Sticking the rodtip in the water really helps if you have a lot of floating weeds to contend with - they hang on the guides rather than sliding down your line to foul the lure. I just stick the top 1 foot or so underwater.

Cheers,
RK

Edited by RK 3/19/2003 10:19 AM