Fenwick rod.
Musky Wishin
Posted 3/10/2003 8:45 PM (#63253)
Subject: Fenwick rod.

I have a Fenwick rod that I have used for years. The problem is the top cork handle has come loose and turns in your hand when casting. Was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to fix it. Tried super-glue in a syringe but made real mess and didn't hold very long. Thanks for any info.
The Handyman
Posted 3/11/2003 7:08 AM (#63275 - in reply to #63253)
Subject: RE: Fenwick rod.

If its a HMG you can send it back and get a brand new one for the cost of shipping!
Musky Wishin
Posted 3/11/2003 8:03 AM (#63284 - in reply to #63253)

Thanks Handyman. I took the rod to Berkly in Spirit Lake and they gave me a new one, and you can buy the old one back for $5 so thats what I did. I hate to throw the old rod away so just was wondering if there was a easy way to fix it. Thanks again.
Ranger
Posted 3/11/2003 4:36 PM (#63344 - in reply to #63284)

A length of electric tape ought to do the job.

hey, wait a minute.....

What casting technique do you use such that you are holding the cork that is located above the reel seat?
Musky Wishin
Posted 3/11/2003 9:47 PM (#63409 - in reply to #63253)

Hey Ranger do you mean I've been holding my rod the wrong way all these years? After all doesn't the cork end go towards the water(LOL). But I don't hold the rod above the reel seat when I cast, only when I reel in I hold it there with the butt end under my arm. But if this is wrong please let me know maybe it well help me catch fish like yours in your photo album. Thanks for info.

Posted 3/11/2003 10:06 PM (#63413 - in reply to #63253)

I've built a few rods and use 2 part epoxy to hold the corks on. If you can slide the fore grip up the rod then put some epoxy on the blank where it goes then slide it back down you should be fishin' again. I fixed a Bass Pro brand rod on the butt end that came loose this way too. There was masking tape in 2 spots under the entire butt end corks! I put lots more tape (to build up diameter to inside cork size)and epoxied her up. No troubles since (havn't bought any bass pro brand rods since either).
DocEsox
Posted 3/13/2003 2:00 AM (#63557 - in reply to #63413)

MW....you need to use 2 part epoxy to reglue the cork....just be sure it is 24 hour cure epoxy, not 5 minute cure. The short cure stuff is NOT waterproof and will give way in the future also. But the long cure stuff is waterproof and the bond should outlast the cork. How old is this Fenwick?

BrianW
Ranger
Posted 3/13/2003 6:47 AM (#63564 - in reply to #63557)

wishin - oh, I see. No, no suggestions on how you should hold yer rod. The epoxy guys seem to be offering the right solution. My secret to the fish in my picture is.......

persistance and a healthy dose of sheer luck!
Musky Wishin
Posted 3/13/2003 9:00 PM (#63646 - in reply to #63253)

Thanks for the info guys. I work in the construction business and work with epoxy alot but it never dawned on me to try it.
Boy a guy like me can be really dense sometimes. The rod is approximately 7 or 8 years old. I can't buy new rods very often cause I married a CPA and she really likes to count pennies. Hard to hid purchases from her. But if there is a will there is a way. (LOL) Thanks again guys.