Squirrel/Booth/Buckskin/Shish
TheShow
Posted 4/28/2014 11:57 PM (#709251)
Subject: Squirrel/Booth/Buckskin/Shish

I'll be visiting some friends on Squirrel Lake in June. I've fished it a handful of times... but in looking at the area map I noticed Booth, Buckskin, and Shishebogama are all right there too. I was thinking of jumpin around a few days to these other lakes. Not lookin for trophies, maybe just a little action.

Am I wasting my time? Good/bad/indifferent? I found a few articles on these bodies but they're old and outdated. Feel free to PM if you'd like.
Thanks!
Big Show
Stunner
Posted 4/30/2014 4:30 PM (#709576 - in reply to #709251)
Subject: RE: Squirrel/Booth/Buckskin/Shish

Wondering the same thing! PM me with any info. Recently moved to the area and lookin to expand a little.
Randy
Posted 4/30/2014 7:29 PM (#709616 - in reply to #709576)
Subject: RE: Squirrel/Booth/Buckskin/Shish

Squirrel is a good lake. Black and orange, crawfish, and perch colors are good. I fished both buckskin and booth. If I remember right, booth is a shallow weedy lake. I think we had luck on purple bucktails. I don't believe we had much luck on buckskin. It's been a few years.. lol
AndrewR
Posted 5/1/2014 10:53 PM (#709835 - in reply to #709251)
Subject: Re: Squirrel/Booth/Buckskin/Shish

Decent lakes to spend time on if you live or stay close by, within a 10min drive away. Otherwise I wouldn't even bother with either of those besides Squirrel. Pulled a miraculous 51" from there a few years back and she's still swimming. Nothing but little ones since, probably cursed myself.

Many 25 inchers in Booth. Likely winterkill / low density in Buckskin. Lousy access Shish. But each is different w/ fishery and fishes differently which is nice.
TheShow
Posted 5/3/2014 3:07 PM (#710023 - in reply to #709835)

I just mentioned this discussion I started to my dad... And he says to me 'well Buckskin just had a complete kill/die off 3 or 4 years ago.' Interesting, I never heard that. Anyone know the details? When? Was it a winterkill or DNR kill off?

I saw in the reg's Booth has a 28" size limit. Going off what Andrew mentioned, I'm assuming more a numbers lake but no size?
AndrewR
Posted 5/4/2014 11:43 PM (#710145 - in reply to #709251)

Fish kill. Here you go:
http://www.buckskinlake.com/Buckskin%20Lake%20Report%20May%202009.p...

http://www.lakelandtimes.com/main.asp?SectionID=9&SubSectionID=9&Ar...

Very little size structure left in Booth. Occasionally see a 40"from time to time. Not sure what happened as it never used to be a dink factory like it is now. Great habitat however, but crappy weeds and a milfoil problem. Not saying you shouldn't fish it but I'd definitely go elsewhere with all of the options around and nearby. Plus, boat landing very muddy and shallow which makes it hard to get in and out without getting messy.

Edited by AndrewR 5/5/2014 12:14 AM