Fenwick elite tech
gtaggart
Posted 3/26/2014 10:18 PM (#702489)
Subject: Fenwick elite tech

I was looking at these rods and would like any feedback on them. I was looking at the 8'. This rod would be used for topwater, bucktails and smaller crankbaits. Thank for any opinions.
sworrall
Posted 3/26/2014 10:21 PM (#702490 - in reply to #702489)
Subject: RE: Fenwick elite tech

I ran one last year and liked it. Good build, solid feel, and excellent action. No complaints.
Bucky_Musky
Posted 3/27/2014 5:39 AM (#702510 - in reply to #702489)
Subject: Re: Fenwick elite tech

I have several of the Elite tech rods, both walleye & musky series. I love them. Good feel and action. No problems. I am a big fan of their rubber and cork composite rod handles as well. My only complaint is that Fenwick hasn't pick up on going to a 9' rod yet. I believe 8' 6" XH is their biggest in the Elite-tech series.
TheYoungGun_
Posted 3/27/2014 7:07 AM (#702521 - in reply to #702489)

I have the 8' elite tech. Sweet rod. Love the action and it'll throw quite a bit. Love mine with a 300E
jakejusa
Posted 3/27/2014 1:45 PM (#702631 - in reply to #702489)

I use them for small baits, the only complaint I have is the handles are too short. I ended up using mine for hvy cover bass fishing. They work great for that. If the handles were longer I would use them more for light Muskie baits but if I hooked into a BIG fish I would a pretty nervous dude.
northernmn
Posted 3/27/2014 8:57 PM (#702775 - in reply to #702489)

I like everything except the handle thickness. I like the syncork but the way it feels with a low profile reel palming the reel kills my hand way faster than my other rods.
gtaggart
Posted 3/27/2014 10:49 PM (#702804 - in reply to #702489)

Thanks for all the comments. I really appreciate them. I found one for a really good price, so I might have to give it a try. Thanks again.
Peter Stoltman
Posted 3/28/2014 7:49 AM (#702836 - in reply to #702489)

For some reason Fenwick has just never created a buzz with their musky rods. At least not for a LONG time. The Elite Tech is indeed a nice series. It's much better than some of the other rods on the market that get a bunch of hype.
Bucky_Musky
Posted 3/28/2014 8:18 AM (#702844 - in reply to #702836)

Peter, I think the big reason for that is they are not very "connected" company with the Musky industry. Fenwick is part of Pure Fishing which owns Abu Garcia, Pflueger, Spiderwire, Berkely, Shakespeare, etc. With it being apart of such a large company, the rods aren't at many trade shows and often aren't sponsors of many local tournaments/guides/tv shows. It seems that in the Musky world, the mid to smaller producers (TI, Musky Innov, St Croix) that put out similar quality products dominate the larger producers in most cases because of their strong customer support and local presence and always being "in-touch" with the wants of musky fisherman (i.e. Fenwick does not offer a single 9' musky rod at this time).

I have several Fenwick Elitetech casting rods and trolling rods that I love, but it is nice to see a market where the smaller guys have a leg up on big producers.
jakejusa
Posted 3/28/2014 11:58 AM (#702892 - in reply to #702489)

There was a decision not to want to dominate the Musky Market for whatever. All the fishermen, prostaff, factory team input was pitched and the designs were left to the engineers period. Not that they are hurting at all because of it though. The rods are still pretty nice just not up to standards that most dedicated Muskie companies have going.
Bucky_Musky
Posted 3/28/2014 12:31 PM (#702901 - in reply to #702489)

I agree Jake. I would think with the manufacturing capabilities and capital that Fenwick has though that it would be fairly easy to "keep up with the Jones." I don't think the rest of the smaller producers mind that Fenwick is sitting out this dance though.
Flambeauski
Posted 3/28/2014 12:53 PM (#702905 - in reply to #702901)

Bucky_Musky - 3/28/2014 12:31 PM

I agree Jake. I would think with the manufacturing capabilities and capital that Fenwick has though that it would be fairly easy to "keep up with the Jones." I don't think the rest of the smaller producers mind that Fenwick is sitting out this dance though.

10 years ago. Currently they're on par with smaller to mide size brands as far as overall sales are concerned, Falcon, Abu and the like. Fenwick lost brand loyalty when they moved and PF is investing more heavily on brands that are rising the market, Abu being an example. And since muskie rod sales make up a tiny fraction of sales you can imagine that there is very little investing in that particular area, both in advertising and R&D.