New Baits vs Tweeking?
TomBoley
Posted 3/24/2014 9:19 PM (#701836)
Subject: New Baits vs Tweeking?

With more than enough white outside its time for a good debate?
With so many new baits and models of baits being born each year will there ever be a new unseen style of bait that could possibly make as much of a difference as the lures we have seen in the last decade?
I’m mainly talking about the large plastic craze and the obvious large double bladed craze. Both these lures have been around prior to their mass popularity. What lures do you believe are out there right now that will be the next BIG hit? “Big” meaning changing the way we fish, and taking the industry by storm.
Or will the next big craze come from a lure we already have, tweeked and fished in a way never before seen? What says you?
A lure is a tool build to get a job done. Do you think there could be a tool out there that helps us as anglers as much as anything we already have in our box? With so many replicated lures I dont think there is ever a time where one lure cannot be substituted for another lure with equal success..??
Like most of us I find myself throwing the same dozen baits time after time. In my mind tweeking trumps “craze” lures. To me the ability to modify a lure to be fished in a different manner whether it be speed, depth, action is much more vital than having the new HOT bait.
Debate?

Edited by TomBoley 3/24/2014 9:32 PM
muskiewhored
Posted 3/24/2014 9:30 PM (#701838 - in reply to #701836)
Subject: Re: New Baits vs Tweaking?

If you were to post a "Tweeking VS Twerking" subject I would Debate, so would Miley.
TomBoley
Posted 3/24/2014 9:32 PM (#701839 - in reply to #701836)
Subject: Re: New Baits vs Tweeking?

Edited. Been watching too much Miley.
muskyhunter47
Posted 3/25/2014 5:28 AM (#701871 - in reply to #701836)

How about coming up with a launcher for big rubber. I seen some guys throwing the two pounder Like a mag. The pounder beats me up after a day of fishing. There easy to bring into the boat but the casting is the work out. I was thinking of putting a trap thrower on the front of the boat but there must be a easier way then that. I have the best rods reels just thinking of a better way to llaunch those big rubber baits would be great
ShutUpNFish
Posted 3/25/2014 7:04 AM (#701887 - in reply to #701836)

Just think back 20 or so years ago....how far technology has come....my answer is YES....what? I don't know, but yes.
horsehunter
Posted 3/25/2014 7:19 AM (#701890 - in reply to #701836)

You could start with #5 Mepps and Skinner Spoons that were actually spinners and give the current generation of muskies something they have never seen.
Sidejack
Posted 3/25/2014 8:16 AM (#701900 - in reply to #701836)
Subject: RE: New Baits vs Tweeking?

Been tweaking & modifying a bit since new years all the while asking myself, "what werked last year? / can it be duplicated?" The little old vet on my right shoulder whispers things like, "think profile & colour" while the horned up young'n on the left asks questions like, "does it move water? / why aren't we seachin fer pics of Miley?"

I think the real question is..

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(BearInTheBalls.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments BearInTheBalls.png (7KB - 129 downloads)
Junkman
Posted 3/25/2014 8:52 AM (#701914 - in reply to #701836)

Hate to say this, but like most of the innovation in musky baits, someone will view the latest success in the bass world and make it in a bigger size. We are not that "original" as a group! That, and the fact that if someone really does come up with a major innovation....five other guys will send their bait to China for a bunch of knock-offs and price the innovator out of business.
Brad P
Posted 3/25/2014 9:08 AM (#701924 - in reply to #701914)

I enjoy this line of thinking, but in many ways it is a dead end. You are asking about innovation, so quite simply put, the next innovation hasn't happened yet. I have no idea what it will be.

When you dig deeper there is more to it than just designing a bait. You also need a place to fish it, and a pattern to go with the place.

In that respect it might be finding a new type of location that hasn't been plumbed. (very challenging, but never say never) or find a new way to fish an existing location. This latter idea is probably the place where we'll see more action.

Then there is also the fact that there are very few truly "new" lure ideas. A lot of lures are more refinement/improvement on existing ideas. (and this is fine in my book.) Again, I am not sure what the new refinement is going to be.

For me, I've taken up making baits this offseason, but I make them to address challenges in my own fishing. This year I've been working on a deep water spinnerbait concept, similar to a double wubble. I'm still working on a prototype. Will it work? Who knows? Did I make something new? Maybe/Maybe not? I would lean mostly towards not, the spinnerbait isn't a new lure, I'm just adapting the design to my needs.

Edited by Brad P 3/25/2014 9:11 AM
Pointerpride102
Posted 3/25/2014 9:20 AM (#701929 - in reply to #701924)

After having multiple follows on weed covered baits, Ulbian and I designed the "weed pattern" bait.
Flambeauski
Posted 3/25/2014 9:33 AM (#701936 - in reply to #701836)

I ran wire through some of my kids' Barbie dolls and attached a treble. I figure that since the human population continues to rise at some point muskies will begin to feed on the most abundant prey. Us.
jakejusa
Posted 3/25/2014 10:13 AM (#701945 - in reply to #701836)

My main winter hobby is buying other guys dog baits and then trying to make a good fish catching lure out of them. Last year I had a guy sell me a bunch of Big Game twitch baits one of which he had done the absolutely worst job of replacing a lip I have ever seen. He must have stuck it in with super glue and walked away allowing it to float and land where it pleased. The bait would at the low speed would roll over on it's side. I put it in the box to re-lip. Then started playing with it some more. I hope to finish it this year. I have it running true until it hits a speed then over on the side and does a wide swim back and forth. Now if I could just get it to shimmy and sink after all that! Ha Ha. Muskie baits are cool, handmades from home, or otherwise. There's just so much you can do with them to change their personality & action. Great hobby and very few beers are injured in the actual tuning process.
MD75
Posted 3/25/2014 10:51 AM (#701948 - in reply to #701836)

One word: ROBOTS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMdtTg545Fg
ulbian
Posted 3/25/2014 11:04 AM (#701953 - in reply to #701929)

Pointerpride102 - 3/25/2014 10:20 AM

After having multiple follows on weed covered baits, Ulbian and I designed the "weed pattern" bait.

Truth
jimjimjim
Posted 3/25/2014 11:52 AM (#701964 - in reply to #701953)

someone will electronically crack the "vibration code" that drive muskies into a feeding frenzie ,,, install these battery operated vibration units inside a large plastic crankbait or on the shaft of a bucktail and the rest will be history -----<*)}}}}}}}}}}}><{{

Edited by jimjimjim 3/25/2014 11:54 AM
FAT-SKI
Posted 3/25/2014 12:04 PM (#701967 - in reply to #701964)

jimjimjim - 3/25/2014 11:52 AM

someone will electronically crack the "vibration code" that drive muskies into a feeding frenzie ,,, install these battery operated vibration units inside a large plastic crankbait or on the shaft of a bucktail and the rest will be history -----<*)}}}}}}}}}}}><{{

if this ever happens, I'll go out and buy a wet suit that is made for shark bites. Then I will hold said device in my hand under water at my favorite spots and wait for the strike... It could happen...
Kingfisher
Posted 3/25/2014 12:17 PM (#701973 - in reply to #701836)

As a lure builder and designer I am always trying to find the next "ONE" For me it is what do guys want in each region of the muskies world. There is no one bait that works everywhere so there is always the possibility of multiple "ONES" For instance the guys on Georgian Bay challenged me to build a lure that would withstand smashing and banging rocks over and over again. So I gave them the Titan. The guys who have them say they are one of the toughest Cranks ever built. I just talked to a guy in Illinois who has piles of my little 4 inch shads and swears they the best thing since whole wheat. I see lures being great in certain areas not everywhere. Pounders and bigger don't catch fish everywhere and neither do double 10's and bigger. My wife and I got an education on Lake Webster one year. We were throwing the bull Dawgs and Kickin Minnows like most of the other guys fishing that day. Lots of follows and no strikes. This little old man in row boat comes over by us and he starts tossing small gold spoon and he catches two muskies in minutes. He looks at us smiles and rows on. Is there really ever one single lure that works everywhere? Not in my experience. Baits are regional. What works in Minnesota most likely does not work in Ohio. It is for this reason I build 16 different baits from 4 to 21 inches and in various versions. I am always tweaking my own designs . For instance my 8 inch Claw. Built from Cedar it is light, trolls well and catches fish on the St. Lawrence at slow speeds trolled. It sucks as a casting lure because it rises too fast. If I build the same lure out of Hard Cherry wood and add a second lead pocket ? It becomes a suspending bait that barely floats and acts like a dying bait fish when ripped and cranked while casting. Many times the "ONE" is right under your nose most likely already in your box. Guys like Larry Dahlberg made a living tweaking baits. Adding weight, removing lips etc. I will always be tweaking lures. To me it is the name of the game. Mike
jdsplasher
Posted 3/25/2014 6:47 PM (#702093 - in reply to #701964)

jimjimjim - 3/25/2014 11:52 AM someone will electronically crack the "vibration code" that drive muskies into a feeding frenzie ,,, install these battery operated vibration units inside a large plastic crankbait or on the shaft of a bucktail and the rest will be history -----<*)}}}}}}}}}}}><{{

jimjimjim, this bait already exists. Anchor a couple hooks to a vibrator, seal it off, flip the switch, and go jerk it around your favorite lake, and YES, use bubble gum color... sure to get a couple of follows...LMAO...

;)  

Edited by jdsplasher 3/25/2014 7:59 PM
nar160
Posted 3/27/2014 12:34 PM (#702606 - in reply to #701836)

TomBoley - 3/24/2014 10:19 PM
To me the ability to modify a lure to be fished in a different manner whether it be speed, depth, action is much more vital than having the new HOT bait.

I like this too. I think the Hardhead is a great example of a step in the right direction. By adding weights you can change depth and even the style of presentation, but swapping tails you can change color, and apparently they even have different styles of tails coming out. If one bait and a few parts can replace 5-6 baits in the tackle box, that's a big win in my book.

Weighting is something that gives good flexibility. People already add water to crankbaits or clip bell sinkers on with the hooks to make floaters into suspenders, change the action a bit, etc. It would be really nice to see more manufacturers putting variable weighting systems on crankbaits and jerkbaits. Take something like a believer and put a couple screw holes for places to add weight in the bottom. Without any weight you can already run that thing over a wide range of depths just by switching the eyes. Now you add weight to the rear to make it a surface twitch bait. Add to the middle and you have a suspender that runs about like normal. Add to the front and you can get extra depth. With one device you can cast or troll nearly any depth, have buoyancy when working in cover or suspend for twitching.

Another idea might be a way to quickly attach/detach rubber tails. Instead of having an 8" phantom, 8" softtail phantom, 8" deep phantom, and 8" deep softtail phantom, you just buy 1 lure, which is basically the shallow 8," attach/detach the tail as necessary, and add weight via screw holes to create the deep version. I'm thinking of something like a small hard piece that the tail is attached to and screws or clicks into the main body - might not be trivial to design a lure that has good action in all configurations, but something could probably be figured out.

Of course this kind of thing probably means selling fewer lures, so it's hard to imagine how it would ever come to be. At least there are a few weighting systems out there that allow you to DIY.