Fly fishing for muskies
Paramuskyhunter
Posted 3/24/2014 7:30 PM (#701809)
Subject: Fly fishing for muskies

I am looking at giving this a try this year. Where does one start to learn what to get and when to use it?
muskyhunter47
Posted 3/24/2014 7:37 PM (#701812 - in reply to #701809)
Subject: Re: Fly fishing for muskies

I have not tried that but looks fun. Thorne Bros has a fly shop they would be able to get you started. just a thought
whynot
Posted 3/24/2014 8:02 PM (#701816 - in reply to #701809)

Look up Brad Bohen, he's a fly-fishing guide for muskies and I'm sure would be happy to give you advice on gear and techniques. Buddy of mine fishes with him a few times a year and fly fishes out of my boat a bunch, too.
BenR
Posted 3/24/2014 9:11 PM (#701834 - in reply to #701809)

I think you could probably get away with fly fishing with a predator blank and a tranx:-) seriously though go to a local fly shop and rent a set up for the day and find a lake with bass and try it out. Make sure you like it before you take up the challenge. I will warn you though, if you like it...muskies equipment seems very inexpensive in comparison!
DonPursch
Posted 3/24/2014 9:52 PM (#701848 - in reply to #701812)

X2 on Brad Bohndid a New Fly Fisher show with him on Rowan Lake last summer and he is the real deal when it comes to Muskie on the fly great guy let me know if I can get his number for you no problem
SixOught
Posted 3/24/2014 10:18 PM (#701855 - in reply to #701834)

Probably best to hire a guide. Are you looking for a guide down in the Appleton area, or somewhere else? I can probably point you in the right direction either way. Be proficient at double hauling. It will save your shoulder, elbow, and wrist from a lot of aches and pains.

Rod wise, I'd start out with a 9wt. They're much easier on your shoulder than a 10wt or higher, especially when your first starting out. Don't try to throw outlandish flies all day either. It's not worth it most of the time. Flies in the 6-9" range move the most fish for me.

Most major manufacturers sell rods that will handle the rigor of fishing for muskies. Buelah Bluewater is my rod of choice right now, but they also have a Opal series rod coming out in the next month or so that should be another winner. TFO Mangroves, Redington Predators, St. Croix Legend X's are some of the rods that are pretty popular among the musky fly guys. If those don't fit your needs, there are plenty of other rods out there that will perform great too. It's just a matter of being comfortable with the rod.

Lines are a little tough sometimes. I wouldn't worry much about a floating line right away, as most of us don't fish topwater too often. It's a subsurface game most of the time. Intermediates and sink lines are used more often than not. If you went with a 9wt, I'd look at getting something like a 350gr SA Wet Tip Express or equivalent from the other manufacturers. They're solid lines that can handle bigger flies. Rio makes a new pike/musky line that I'm really fond of in an Intermediate as well. But that's generally a lake line for me. Sinking lines are the most useful line IMO.

If you want flies, you have a few different options. The major fly companies like Umpqua sell some patterns. But if you want quality, I'd look for a custom tyer. Chris Willen is a local guide in the Hayward area and ties some really great, durable flies. He's also a heck of a guide if you're ever looking to do a float trip in NW Wisco. If he can't put you on fish, nobody can.

Leaders are usually shorter. I like something in the 4-6' range depending on what lines I'm using. Here's an example of what I'm using: 2' of 40lb hard mono butt section ---> 2-3' of 25lb flouro mid section ---> ~8" of wire bite guard with snap swivel on the end to make changing out flies on a river float quicker.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more specific questions about gear or anything else.
Paramuskyhunter
Posted 3/24/2014 10:22 PM (#701858 - in reply to #701809)

Thanks everyone
eightweight
Posted 3/25/2014 5:39 AM (#701875 - in reply to #701834)

While Ben is right on with the Predator and tranx, you are best going with a guide as they will have rods /reels / line for you to try. normally the 10 weight is the rod and dependent how you fish can get away with a cheaper reel .
I use a "stiff" 10 weight as its needed to throw the larger flys "baits"

best to try before you buy as noted a flyrod setups are not cheap .but a investment that can last you a long time . I fish a rod that I bought 19 years ago

Best of luck
Bill

BenR - 3/24/2014 9:11 PM

I think you could probably get away with fly fishing with a predator blank and a tranx:-) seriously though go to a local fly shop and rent a set up for the day and find a lake with bass and try it out. Make sure you like it before you take up the challenge. I will warn you though, if you like it...muskies equipment seems very inexpensive in comparison!
BenR
Posted 3/25/2014 6:49 AM (#701884 - in reply to #701809)

I use an 8 wt, smaller than most but seem to do fine. I fly fishing more due to location these days. I will say wading really ups the experience. I have always enjoyed the finesse and technical side of Muskie fishing, so fly fishing is just that. You create the reaction strike. BR
Flambeauski
Posted 3/25/2014 9:14 AM (#701928 - in reply to #701809)

I would contact Larry or Wendy @ Hayward Flyfishing Co. They can not only make recommendations but sell you the stuff, too.
Personally I'd go 10 weight to start, fly rods are expensive and eventually you'll need a 10 anyway. Get an expensive one with a lot of power in the butt. Sinking line is better for starters, it will have you casting bigger flies farther, faster.
I have no advice on leaders. Have someone who acts like they know what they're doing show you how to make one.
Get a nice set of breathable waders. Don't spend too much on the reel.
eightweight
Posted 3/25/2014 5:31 PM (#702068 - in reply to #701928)

+2 on the 10 weight as you will be there some day if not soon

Flambeauski - 3/25/2014 9:14 AM

I would contact Larry or Wendy @ Hayward Flyfishing Co. They can not only make recommendations but sell you the stuff, too.
Personally I'd go 10 weight to start, fly rods are expensive and eventually you'll need a 10 anyway. Get an expensive one with a lot of power in the butt. Sinking line is better for starters, it will have you casting bigger flies farther, faster.
I have no advice on leaders. Have someone who acts like they know what they're doing show you how to make one.
Get a nice set of breathable waders. Don't spend too much on the reel.