Trolling Question
asingua
Posted 3/14/2014 9:52 AM (#699170)
Subject: Trolling Question

I have a question that I've wondered about for awhile. When approaching a drop off, you want to troll, is it better to approach the deep side first or the shallow and work out to deep? I've always tried to get in the 15 -20' depth and go from there. Maybe it doesn't matter, but am curious to what you guys think. I'm still learning and hope to put a few more in the bag this year. Thanks!
Drakl
Posted 3/14/2014 10:43 AM (#699186 - in reply to #699170)
Subject: Re: Trolling Question

Personnally, I usually will try to do both by doing big S with the boat. I will spent 75% of the time in the drop zone and 25% of the time in the higher part with my lure on the same side higher in the water column, maybe a foot higher than the platform so that I can hit it a couple of times before getting the lure back in the deeper zone for open water trolling.

If it is not possible to do it that way, since the bait fish leaves the shallows for deeper water in the morning and goes back before sunset, I would start the day in the shallow zone toward the drop off and I would do the opposite in the evenings assuming that the muskies are positionned to intercept..
ToddM
Posted 3/14/2014 10:59 AM (#699194 - in reply to #699170)
Subject: Re: Trolling Question

It depends on what is deep and what is shallow. Where is the structure on the drop is there a weeds edge shallow, rocks or a bottom transition deep? contour change along the drop and what part? Hit the best of it then work your way in or out from there.