Frozen bilge
setme31
Posted 3/10/2014 11:14 AM (#697901)
Subject: Frozen bilge

I bought a new to me boat this Winter, and apparently the previous owner left his plug in his boat. I always remove my plug when I pull out of a lake, so I didn't even think to check for the plug.

Some of the snow and rain that we received this winter got into the boat. My bilge area is frozen solid. You can see the pumps through the ice.

My question is, what kind of damage do I need to look for? I'm assuming the livewell and bilge pumps are toast. Is there anything else in there that I need to inspect.

The boat is a Tuffy 1760 GC.
VMS
Posted 3/10/2014 11:36 AM (#697919 - in reply to #697901)
Subject: Re: Frozen bilge

Hiya,

First and foremost, get it thawwed... If you are lucky, the only damage that might be done is a cracked bilge pump as the livewell pump has an ability to somewhat drain itself as it is a separate and closed system from the bilge area itself. One thing you possibly have going for you is that if the whole bilge pump was encased in water, expansion is near impossible on the inside of the unit as air would easily transfer up through the hose and not be trapped, and water fills in everywhere. It is not quite the same as having a pipe or hose burst as the hose or pipe has nothing compressing it from the outside, thus it can expand on it's own and burst.

Worst case, I believe you will see is a replacement of the pump. Not sure how much water is in there, but I would bet your hull is probably o.k... Steve Worrall could tell you more about fiberglass hulls as he worked with Tuffy for a number of years....glass is not my forte...yet... Gotta save quite a few thousand dollars before I get to that point...

Steve