Pulling boat with Class C motorhome
fishpmc
Posted 3/2/2014 3:08 PM (#695393)
Subject: Pulling boat with Class C motorhome

I'm thinking about getting a class C motorhome 22' range and pulling my boat and launching my boat at the boat ramp with it, any words of wisdom on this idea? I travel alot and spend time in my suburban but having a more comfortable ride would please myself and the admiral. Anyone out here tow boat with RV. Most RV's in this size have a 5k weight towing limit which I would be pushing wiht full load. Any advise would be greatly appricated. I know just stay in hotel right
Top H2O
Posted 3/2/2014 3:34 PM (#695402 - in reply to #695393)
Subject: RE: Pulling boat with Class C motorhome

I've been RVing for 26 yrs. and Bigger IS always better....Comfort is what you want after a long day on the water.....Believe me. ...She will thank you too .
With that said: Go a bit longer,.....Say maybe 28-30 ft. and a back up camera is a must have.
22 ft. is just to short, If possible get one with a Slide out, this option really "opens" up the interior.
Keep good tires on both the RV and Boat Trailer. Get the biggest one you can afford, and remember you can use your RV. to just "get away" without Pulling the boat.
Good Luck
fishpmc
Posted 3/2/2014 4:02 PM (#695408 - in reply to #695402)

Top H2O - 3/3/2014 4:34 AM

I've been RVing for 26 yrs. and Bigger IS always better....Comfort is what you want after a long day on the water.....Believe me. ...She will thank you too .
With that said: Go a bit longer,.....Say maybe 28-30 ft. and a back up camera is a must have.
22 ft. is just to short, If possible get one with a Slide out, this option really "opens" up the interior.
Keep good tires on both the RV and Boat Trailer. Get the biggest one you can afford, and remember you can use your RV. to just "get away" without Pulling the boat.
Good Luck[/QUOT

How is it launching boat attached to a larger RV? Is it possible wiht the overhang of the rear of hte RV? I only seen smaller RV's loading and unloading. Great info through, i appricate it.
muskyhunter47
Posted 3/2/2014 5:09 PM (#695422 - in reply to #695393)
Subject: Re: Pulling boat with Class C motorhome

When I was a kid my dad had a Winnebago. He put a ball on the Font bumper when we got to where we were staying unhooked used the ball On the front bumper he Could see what the boat was doing made it easy to lonch the boat

Edited by muskyhunter47 3/2/2014 5:10 PM
jerryb
Posted 3/2/2014 5:44 PM (#695431 - in reply to #695408)

I have a 22' and been getting 7mpg ha ha for about 10 years now and imo there's no better way to go! No issues with towing, manoeuvring around at smaller boat ramps or backing up.

There are a lot of factors to consider, first, how handy are you? There are the obvious upfront costs, storage fees, upkeep and the ongoing maintenance etc. Remember this is a house on wheels that rattles around, takes jolts from pot holes and rail road tracks etc. Roofs leak and tires rot out when they're not used. It's defiantly not for everyone but if you are somewhat mechanical and like the idea of having the freedom to pick up and go when the weather is bad or stay when the fishing is good a motorhome is a great way to go. Even with all the possible down sides I could go on for hours of all the many more up sides. In 1971 I took my first road trip in Dads new motorhome 1500 miles to Flin Flon Manitoba and never forgot how great it was. We launched the boat on a log ramp.

To keep the motorhome loaded and on any given whim just flip a switch, fire up the frig and be down the road is priceless! To be totally self contained and go anywhere time and money will allow, again priceless!

I would suggest looking into a "A" class over the "C". With an A class you will gain more usable square footage, efficiency with the space you have will soon become very important.

Buying used is definitely the way to go, if I was buying tomorrow I know of at least 2 nice ones at my storage facility where the owners have not put tags on them for a couple of years.

Best of luck!

Edited by jerryb 3/2/2014 5:47 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(0.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 0.jpg (74KB - 1213 downloads)
fishpmc
Posted 3/2/2014 6:17 PM (#695441 - in reply to #695431)

alot of great information. I am very mechanically inclined so that isn't an issue. Will have to look at all our options (as to wehich class)which are a ton out there. Used looks like the way to go. ALot of great deals out my way.
Thanks
Top H2O
Posted 3/3/2014 9:49 PM (#695894 - in reply to #695441)

Used IS the WAY to go.....We have a 35 ft that gets about 9-10 mpg ...But.... The fun starts as soon as you leave the Driveway.......Launching the Boat is not a problem.
jerryb
Posted 3/4/2014 3:43 PM (#696152 - in reply to #695894)

Top H2O - 3/3/2014 9:49 PM

Used IS the WAY to go.....We have a 35 ft that gets about "9-10 mpg" ..

Show off
schleprock82
Posted 3/4/2014 7:31 PM (#696257 - in reply to #695393)

Before buying a Class C motorhome make sure the frame goes to the back. May sound funny but some motorhomes have a sub frame in the back Had a late 70's model used to tow with all the time. Back of motorhome started sagging and pulling away from the frame.
Jerry Newman
Posted 3/4/2014 11:29 PM (#696333 - in reply to #696257)

Jerry and Jerome pretty well covered the convenience factor, and I agree bigger is better to a point but opted to stay in the 30 foot range. I would add that using a motorhome is somewhat of a secret weapon because you really maximize time on the water and rest… the two most important things to me when fishing.

It's also nice not to worry about the gear in the boat when you pull out at night because you're right there basically guarding it, I put my boat on a trailer every night for that reason alone. I also really like just leaving everything in the MH between trips, you can also bring almost everything but the kitchen sink (okay I guess you bring that too) and everything stays conveniently in one place.

I have owned 4 MHs that I have mainly used for pulling my boat. Matter of fact, I rather back my boat up with the motorhome than my pickup truck anymore . I remember it being a little intimidating at first, but would guess you will be driving and launching just about anywhere you go now after some practice (you will not need the up front trailer hitch deal). I have a backup camera, but only look at it when I pause while backing up or it throws me off… probably just gotten use to using the mirrors. When you're backing straight and can’t see your boat in the mirrors, that's a good thing.

My first MH was a 25 foot class C, my second a 25 foot class A that I quickly traded in on a 29 foot Ford class C and ended up putting over 100k miles on it before selling it after buying my latest 30’ class C, my last three were bought privately with low mileage as recommended. I've put about 30k on this last one so far and this gas 10 cylinder Ford F450 with heavy-duty suspension is definitely my favorite rig by a long shot (my preference is absolutely for the class C design over the class A).

The reason I like the class C is the standard size single bed over the cab for myself, and having 2 rear bunk beds that keep the other 1-2 fisherman as far away from me as possible for privacy. It's pretty hard to find one with those bunk beds, and this one even originally came with 4 bunk beds, but I removed the top two beds leaving part of them in place as shelves for convenient storage… when the guys hop in they just throw their gear above their bunks and we roll.

That's about all I can think of, good luck.