GoPro Videos - Do's and Don'ts
jaultman
Posted 1/29/2014 10:26 AM (#688123)
Subject: GoPro Videos - Do's and Don'ts

Right off the bat, I'll say I don't have a GoPro, so I'm not qualified to make recommendations on how to utilize one. However, I have suggestions, as an end-product consumer (I watch the videos), on how to better share your musky-catching experience with viewers.

Additionally, I would like to have and use a GoPro someday soon, and I would love to hear others' tips on using one and editing the videos. So if you're a GoPro Pro, or just like watching the videos on youtube, maybe you can put in your two cents.

A few thoughts:
- DO, at all times, watch (as in, keep the camera pointed toward) where the fish is most likely to be, while also capturing your bait in the frame. The best part about GoPro videos is watching how the fish acts and responds to the bait movement.
- DON'T turn your head toward your boat partner when he goes into the 8. I don't want to see him drop to his knees and twirl his baton, I want to see the fish eat!
- DO use the head mount. Almost always the higher vantage point yields the best, unobstructed views of the water, bait, and fish.
- DON'T use the chest mount. All I can see are your wrists and your rod.
- DO include the real audio. I think the dialog and environmental noise enhances the video.
- DON'T use the song "Sail" by Awolnation. It was cool on one video, but needs to be laid to rest.

What are some things you think to yourself while watching videos or setting up your camera?
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 1/29/2014 10:34 AM (#688127 - in reply to #688123)
Subject: Re: GoPro Videos - Do's and Don'ts

Maybe they blame their erratic camera work on their ADD?
Pointerpride102
Posted 1/29/2014 11:08 AM (#688141 - in reply to #688123)

1000% agree on the AWOL nation song for gopro videos. The very few I watch, if that sing pops on, I shut the video off. It shows a lack of creativity.

I had a gopro that I recently sold. I wasn't overly impressed by it. Too much time to breakdown and edit film into something good. I can see how many would enjoy it, however. I'd rather just go out and fish/hunt rather than worry about setting up a camera.
horsehunter
Posted 1/29/2014 11:36 AM (#688148 - in reply to #688123)

I bought one that I have only played with in the boat in the driveway trying to figure out placement. The neighbours think I'm nuts anyway and are used to seeing me sitting in the boat in the driveway. I'm not overly impressed with the distortion caused by the wide angle lens. My idea was to have it set to take continuous still shots with one touch so I can get shots when alone without playing with a timer.
M Winther
Posted 1/29/2014 1:40 PM (#688184 - in reply to #688123)

i static mount mine on a side rail, and angle it so that it will capture figure-8s and netting the fish. then i try to cast mostly inside the wide-angle coverage of the camera. when trolling i just point it towards the back. the advantage is i don't have to wear anything annoying on my head and the camera is much more stable. the downside is occasionally missing some action that moves outside the view of the camera.

i'm not expert at video editing by any means and just use Movie Maker, but here's a couple examples from my collection:

- longer combo video of pics and GoPro footage from last summer's trip to LotW:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqXE-ljluuo

- short video of a big surprise fish from last fall on LotW: (contains swearing)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcpuDlsbXcU

horsehunter
Posted 1/29/2014 2:02 PM (#688188 - in reply to #688123)

Really enjoyed your videos well done. Would you happen to have any pictures of how and where you are mounting your go pro particularly for the trolling sequences.
jaultman
Posted 1/29/2014 4:03 PM (#688216 - in reply to #688184)

M Winther - 1/29/2014 1:40 PM

i static mount mine on a side rail, and angle it so that it will capture figure-8s and netting the fish. then i try to cast mostly inside the wide-angle coverage of the camera. when trolling i just point it towards the back. the advantage is i don't have to wear anything annoying on my head and the camera is much more stable. the downside is occasionally missing some action that moves outside the view of the camera.

I like it.
azmuskyman
Posted 1/29/2014 7:00 PM (#688247 - in reply to #688123)

heres my first video I made from last summers footage. Once you get the hang of the editing software it starts to become pretty easy. I didnt have too much footage as I threw in some other random stuff but did manage a nice 50 plus on my gopro. I mount mine on a pvc pipe and attach it to my side rail to get an overhead view of the boat. As you can see sometimes the fish want to move outside the camera view but for the most part it does pretty well.

http://youtu.be/LawXzbXJ5J4
SW MN
Posted 1/30/2014 1:22 PM (#688362 - in reply to #688123)
Subject: RE: GoPro Videos - Do's and Don'ts

One thing I have learned to help with the editing time, is to start the camera over everytime I think there is something I want on video. Then when editing, all you have to do is go to the end of that clip and not spend countless hours trying to find the 5 minutes you are looking for.
M Winther
Posted 1/30/2014 7:25 PM (#688416 - in reply to #688188)

Would you happen to have any pictures of how and where you are mounting your go pro particularly for the trolling sequences.

here you go (pictures of mount). i stuck a few GoPro quick mounts on a RAM base attached to an arm/ball on the side rail of the boat. i put multiple GoPro quick release on the RAM base so that I can point one camera forward and one towards the back in order to cover both anglers figure-8s.
when trolling i just mount the camera on the rail facing towards the back. the wide angle gets the driver, rod action/strikes, and we try to net the fish in that location whenever it cooperates.

i'm planning to add another GoPro next year mounted on a pole placed in the anchor light hole for another/wider perspective on the boat.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(GP2 (500x308).jpg)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(GP1 (500x299).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments GP2 (500x308).jpg (149KB - 262 downloads)
Attachments GP1 (500x299).jpg (155KB - 217 downloads)
CedarLakeMusky
Posted 1/31/2014 8:56 AM (#688483 - in reply to #688123)

Here is one of my first videos with a non gopro camera. I did very little editing. Still looking for some good free editing software. Made a few mistakes but should get better with experience. One mistake was I didn't get video of the release. I shut the camera off to take hook out of fish. I should have left the camera on or turned it back on before grabbing fish out of the net. I got fish slime on my hands and didn't want to slime my camera. I learned something for the next time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQEzYhRD4G4&feature=youtube_gdata_pl...
gumbygold
Posted 2/9/2014 5:32 PM (#690534 - in reply to #688123)

Don't: use foul language...or at least bleep it out.
dae06
Posted 2/12/2014 9:55 AM (#691125 - in reply to #688123)
Subject: RE: GoPro Videos - Do's and Don'ts

A few thoughts:

- DO include the real audio. I think the dialog and environmental noise enhances the video.

While I agree 100% to this, the GoPro water proof case really limits the microphones abilty to pick up audio. This is more advanced, but I may try an external audio source and combine seperate tracks on my Vegas Studio program I use.