Why muskies have a yellow eye lens?
ESOX Maniac
Posted 1/20/2014 4:07 PM (#685943)
Subject: Why muskies have a yellow eye lens?

I've always been curious about the yellow eye lens, what we see is not the same as what the muskie see's.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/01/140108-coral-reef-f...

" The different patterns and colors of fluorescent light would be a good way of communicating secretly, since only organisms with a yellow filter in their eyes could see the flamboyant colors.

The shortfin false moray eel (Kaupichthys brachychirus) above may look unassuming under normal lighting conditions, but put it under a blue light, photograph it with a yellow filter, and it lights up like a glow stick."

Maybe the muskie can also neutralize the prey's camoflage pattern(s) during periods of dominant blue light or at depths where blue light is the dominant lighting. I found this very interesting.

Have fun!
Al

Edited by ESOX Maniac 2/3/2014 6:05 AM
ESOX Maniac
Posted 2/1/2014 9:07 AM (#688703 - in reply to #685943)
Subject: Re: Why muskies have a yellow eye lens?

LOL- Well this thread got a lot of discussion. Anyone who has ever did any ocean scuba diving at depths greater than 15' probably understands my inference to blue light...try doing a search on "color absorbtion of water. jlong - where are you hiding? No one wants to chat about this topic.. Let's discuss Peukert shift's. LOL!

Have fun!
Al
CiscoKid
Posted 2/1/2014 9:30 AM (#688711 - in reply to #685943)

LOL! Great discussion All!

When this was kind oif discussed when MI came out with the UV dawgs my interest was peaked. However I can't help but think do fresh water fish use the ability like saltwater fish do? Saltwater medium is a whole lot different than freshwater medium. I am not so sure that just because fresh water fish have the ability to use UV that they actually use it.

I don't have answers, but I would sure like someone to provide the info to persuade me that freshwater fish use UV like saltwater fish do.

Al maybe the problem with discussion here is that no one knows much about it.
ESOX Maniac
Posted 2/2/2014 7:43 AM (#688852 - in reply to #688711)

Travis - Being an experienced ocean diver, I don't think that salt water & fresh water are that different, except for biological diversity. Which is really related to the sheer mass of interconnected water in the worlds oceans or sea's, e.g., they are mostly all connected. Ocean fish use structures, current edges, open water and the upper & lower edges (surface & bottom). Fresh water fish have greatly restricted environments, yet there are many species with specialized adaptations, e.g., walleye's, pike & muskies are good examples of adaptation..

F.ex. We know muskies feed more when light levels are low, sunrise - sundown or at night or on cloudy days. Pike are more active during higher light levels. The difference is an adaptation by muskies, e.g., pike are the ancestor species.... The only thing that explains this is vision. I'm curious if the muskie yellow lens can unmash the camouflage pattern of other fish, like a perch in a cabbage bed - perch have those dark bars for a reason! Ask any photographer what a yellow lens filter will do to a photograph? The article is a good example of serendipity while using a yellow lens filter, I find it very interesting.

Edited by ESOX Maniac 2/2/2014 3:10 PM
horsehunter
Posted 2/2/2014 8:06 AM (#688856 - in reply to #685943)

I attended a talk by Dr. Bruce Tufts fisheries researcher (and avid angler ) Queens University who emphatically stated that freshwater fish do not see UV light. He also stated that the biggest triggering factor was a barred pattern and the colours didn't much matter. One other point he made was that scent had to be water soluble to be detected by fish and that most commercial scents were oil based.
Dr. Tufts will be heading up a new tracking study of muskie on the Larry beginning this spring involving students of Queens and the Gananoque chapter of Muskies Canada.
ESOX Maniac
Posted 2/2/2014 3:55 PM (#688971 - in reply to #688856)

horsehunter- I would be very interested to see the research papers that prove all freshwater fish cannot see UV light. Blue light is not UV light by definition or any scientific standard that I am aware of for that matter.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-f0zQ_Ex08u8/TjfZr0Q733I/AAAAAAAADY0/EezgS...

The article link I originally posted, specifically cites blue light and a yellow lens filter.

The barred pattern on perch are a form of fish camouflage, used to hide from both prey and predators in weed beds or in schools. I do not throw perch patterns in cabbage bed's, unless its a top water/floating lure that I'm using to imitate a surface feeding or injured perch. In open water they are typically in schools, e.g., for protection and even then the barred camouflage helps hide the individuals, stray from the school and you become a muskie's dinner.

I wish Dr. Tufts all the best in his tracking studies....

Have fun!
Al
ESOX Maniac
Posted 2/3/2014 5:58 AM (#689129 - in reply to #688971)

These have some interesting tidbits.. about perch

http://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:377602/FULLTEXT01.pdf

http://www.in-fisherman.com/2012/11/03/ice-fishing-perch-with-dave-...

Have fun!

Edited by ESOX Maniac 2/3/2014 6:02 AM