Good first aid kit...
Otter
Posted 2/19/2003 7:59 AM (#60576)
Subject: Good first aid kit...

Who makes a good first aid kit? The ones I have seen ranged from being woefully inadequate to having enough for an infantry batallion.

Edited by Otter 2/19/2003 8:01 AM
Sponge
Posted 2/19/2003 8:29 AM (#60580 - in reply to #60576)
Subject: RE: Good first aid kit...

I got one as a gift from someone awhile back, but prefer to make my own. For sure you want it to be h2o proof! I keep sterile gauze, disinfectant, pain medication, and ointment in mine; fairly simple yet effective. You also might want to include tweezers, chap stick and sun screen. I use the Bullfrog brand as it is in a small container, won't sting your eyes and is very effective. A small clean towel can come in handy, and the pliable cold paks are great to put in a cooler in case you need them for emergency swellage. I try to keep a variety of pain meds in case someone in the boat can't take a certain kind. I have poured pure alcohol onto a cut etc, but now use Peroxide to prevent "extra" pain!
muskyone
Posted 2/19/2003 10:36 AM (#60598 - in reply to #60580)

Sounds like something that needs to be marketed to me. Derek, you out there? Why don't we put something together for the "fisherman" and we could get rich............Hehehehehehe. All I can say is that you want lot's of band aids and some good tape and gauze combinations, as sooner or later in a Muskie boat, someone will be bleedin' on the carpet. I have, in the past, used electric tape and a handkerchef to stop the gushing. Once had to borrow a whole box of band aids to soak up the blood. Better to be prepared me thinks.
Otter
Posted 2/19/2003 1:49 PM (#60632 - in reply to #60576)

Thanks, guys, looks like I'll just "build" my own from the components you suggested. It'll probably be best, anyway, if it all fits in a Plano 3700.
Mark H.
Posted 2/19/2003 4:08 PM (#60649 - in reply to #60576)

Your buddy's Isuzu Trooper and directions to the Bemidji hospital have worked well in the past...:)

I bought a waterproof bag and then went and purchased my own supplies. Much more cost effective and you get better quality stuff.

Lots of the same stuff Muskyone mentioned but I also recommend.

Tylenol
Ibuprophen
Instant ice (2 packs)or more for Canada trips
Burn Cream
Scissors
Tweezers
Bee/Insect sting kit (for anaphelactic shock)
Alcohol wipes
Iodine or betadine scrub
Rubber/latex gloves
Super glue (the surgical kind or the walmart version both work to close a laceration temporarily)
CPR mask w/rebreather valve (if you know CPR)
Gatorade or bottled water (dehydration or heat stress injuries)

A good first aid/emergency handbook.

If you hunt/fish in Canada or other areas where Emergency Medical Services "EMS" is more than a few miles away it would be wise for someone in your group to have some formalized first responder type training.

Don't forget a good first aid kit for your Dog if you take them hunting and fishing with you. Talk to your vet they will help you put one together.

Posted 2/19/2003 6:37 PM (#60670 - in reply to #60576)

I went on an 8 day way up in canada last summer. I got a pretty nice kit on ebay..at about 25 cents on the dollar! ZEE Medical makes good kits. I even added sutures. A friend works at a dentist. I figured if I have em along then we probably won't need em. Forget them and somone is gettin a deep cut. The sutures are even available on ebay as well. Lotsa bargins out there and lots of NOT Bargins, I saw a Triple D go for like $36! Made me consider buying extras to sell.
I stuffed lots of extra pain meds in my kit too, even added stuff like chapstick and antacid tabs.
MuskieMedic
Posted 2/22/2003 7:53 PM (#61093 - in reply to #60576)

Mike,

How about a kit called "Muskie Fishing Crash Cart" I carry the usual bandaids, gauze, and tape. I also carry a sterile suture set, betadine, Lidocaine, Coban, Xeroform and other assorted items to do a field hook removal. If you get hooked in my presence you won't even have to leave the water.

Tip: Carry a syringe and fresh drinking water with you for irrigating hook removal wounds, or any wound for that matter. We have little saying in our business "Dilution is the solution!" This will clean punctures and cuts better than anything.
sworrall
Posted 3/20/2003 2:33 PM (#64362 - in reply to #61093)

Walmart has a great kit, waterproof, in the fishing section. I bought two last year for about $15 each.
Trophymuskie
Posted 3/20/2003 4:45 PM (#64385 - in reply to #60576)

We are fortunate to have a great selection of kits to choose from made by the folks at St-John's ambulance. The same guys run those CPR schools and so on almost like the red cross.