Reel Grease and Oil
bob1
Posted 10/23/2013 8:35 PM (#669928)
Subject: Reel Grease and Oil

What do you find is the best Grease and Oil to use on baitcasting reels?
Do you grease the brake discs as well and if so, how do you know how much grease to apply?

Thanks, Bob
RyanJoz
Posted 10/23/2013 9:02 PM (#669935 - in reply to #669928)
Subject: Re: Reel Grease and Oil

Quantum hot sauce is by far the best oil for bearings in reels. I use the Abu silicote oil for level-winds, and Kluber Asonic SL II for the rest of the reel internals and gearing. This grease is an exotic grease that "expired" so the company i used to work for was throwing it away. A standard grease cartridge of this grease is usually around $220! It does amazing things for fishing reels though. I do not grease drag discs as they do not come greased from the OEM of most reel manufacturers. Grease makes the drag smoother, but would you want to grease the brakes or clutch in your sports car?
TC24
Posted 10/23/2013 9:31 PM (#669939 - in reply to #669928)
Subject: RE: Reel Grease and Oil

Yes. Just rub/brush some on it. Yamalube all purpose for anything internal and corrosion x for anything external and bearings.
Propster
Posted 10/23/2013 10:02 PM (#669943 - in reply to #669928)

I use either Shimano drag grease or Cals drag grease on the drag washers. Even though they come "dry" a little grease helps them start better and run smoothly. Even the carbontex ones get grease. Shimano recommends it for their dartanium drag washers as well. Just a bit on both sides, rub it in, just a light film.
esoxaddict
Posted 10/24/2013 12:17 AM (#669954 - in reply to #669928)
Subject: RE: Reel Grease and Oil

I use "whatever crap came with the reel" for oil, and the blue Penn reel grease for grease. When cleaning/re-lubing reels, I spray everything down with Reel Magic, which has both cleaning properties, and leaves behind a very light oil film. Pikemaster can elaborate here, but I think it's more important to keep key components clean, oiled, and greased than it is to use this or that specific oil or grease. I keep a small tube of oil in with my tackle and will add a drop here and there throughout the day. The Penn grease seems to keep worm gears/pawls functioning properly. I'll usually coat the worm gear at the end of the day. Also helps to keep a paper towel handy on the boat to wipe off any excess. For a longer trip, I'll pull the side plate and add a drop of oil on the spool shaft just for good measure.

I never put anything on my drag washers. The stuff seems to find its way there all on its own no matter what I do. I will flip them around and re-arrange them when cleaning a reel. Does it help? Who knows?

I'm just flying by the seat of my pants on this stuff, but generally speaking, if it's got teeth, I keep it greased. And if it spins I keep it oiled. If it builds up black #*#*, I wipe it and keep it clean.

Most important:

1. Whether it's a rag or a bag or something fancy, cover your reels before a long trip on a fire road/dirt road, especially in wet conditions. That #*^@ red mud gets in everything, and will literally grind your reel to junk.

2. Pull the side plate at the end of the day and leave your reel sit in the cabin after a long day in the rain. It won't rust overnight, but water gets in places that won't dry out on their own.

I collect those little silica gel packets that come with shoes and electronics and such. I'll typically put my reels in a Tupperware container with a handful of those after an unusually wet trip.
PIKEMASTER
Posted 10/24/2013 9:26 AM (#669996 - in reply to #669928)

If U do grease the drag washers use only Cal's Drag Grease or Shimano Drag Grease, DO NOT USE REEL GREASE, only a very light coat !!!
On Bass reels I use a dry lube for the spool bearings, on musky reels that are used for baits over 3oz I will grease the spool bearings, that way the bearings will stay lubed for a good 6 months, if U use a reel oil then U will have to reoil every couple weeks of hard fishing. On Musky reels used in very cold weather I will use a liquid grease for the spool bearings. All the Lubes and Grease I use have a Polar Bonding Technology and Corrosion Inhbiting Properties. Also do not over lube a reel !!
Keep a old tooth brush in your tackle box and once a month clean all the dirt and weeds off your reel on the frame, that will keep dirt from getting inside your reel.
bob1
Posted 10/24/2013 11:10 AM (#670015 - in reply to #669928)

How about Corrosion X and Yamaha grease?
PIKEMASTER
Posted 10/25/2013 9:00 PM (#670341 - in reply to #670015)

bob1 - 10/24/2013 11:10 AM

How about Corrosion X and Yamaha grease?

Both are very good lube. Also ck out Reel X and Speed X
On Bass reels for the spool bearings I use TSI 301 a dry Lube.
bob1
Posted 10/26/2013 7:37 AM (#670358 - in reply to #669928)

Thanks Richard!
Killerbug
Posted 10/29/2013 9:38 AM (#670795 - in reply to #669928)

I use Magnalube-G. It costs the same pr pound as you pay for 2oz of Calls. Magnalube does not emulsify as easily as Calls in humid conditions, so I use it for everything else as well. Magnalube is a US made industrial grease, with PTFE(also called Teflon by Dupont). It uses PTFE both as thickener, and lubrication enhancer. This means, that Magnalube wont decintegrade plastic parts, often found in modern reels, as well as function as a lube, even when the reel runs dry

For bearings, I use CorrosionX for smaller Bass reels, and Rocket fuel for larger baitcasters.

If you clean and lube your reel often, you can use almost anything, Oils are basically oils.