What size musky fights the hardest???
BTPF
Posted 2/5/2003 4:02 PM (#58772)
Subject: What size musky fights the hardest???

Ive read some books where lots of old timers say that the BIG muskies
are pretty lazy and that actually the mid to low 40's size fish will give them a bigger battle and have more energy to shake the hooks free.

Is this true?

It seems to me that the bigger the fish the harder the fight. Also
in my experience as a multi species fisherman that BIG fish in general
just seem to know how to get off the hook.

Any thoughts?
jonfloater
Posted 2/5/2003 5:07 PM (#58782 - in reply to #58772)
Subject: RE: What size musky fights the hardest???

I think the 35-40 inch fish are hard to beat as far as acrabatics. That size loves to go airborn. The big girls can pull the boat around and have those huge head shakes. I'd take a bit of either right now!
Jason Smith
Posted 2/5/2003 5:27 PM (#58786 - in reply to #58782)

Boy "hard heavy headshakes" are hard to beat on big muskies. They move slower, but its different fight. Big muskies can eat a hawg wobbler and when you set the hook, it looks like a tinker toy in there mouth as they shake thier head and charge the boat.

A good 38" or 39" in August is about as crazy of a fight you are ever going to get. They have lots of speed in low seventy degree water.
The Handyman
Posted 2/5/2003 5:41 PM (#58790 - in reply to #58786)

A mid-40`s fish in November with all that roll`in and shak`in is an awesome fighter! Those that say the fall/coldwater fish don`t fight good must be catching something else.So I like the 42-46"er's in fall,it just seems that the fight is a little different at this time with a little more determination on the fishes part,plus it really warms a guy up! Handy
P.S- that is the most common size range of our fall fishing,not alot of huge hawgs but very decent numbers in that range.Definatly not complaining!
Trophymuskie
Posted 2/5/2003 5:49 PM (#58792 - in reply to #58772)

This is generaly speaking actualy but yes a 45-47 inch muskie will give you the best overall fight..

But don't rule out 53-54 inchers as well when you get some that jump not once but twice and making it out a few feet above water level. Also can't forget the pull and dawg of those 45+ pounders in November.

spieg
Posted 2/5/2003 5:57 PM (#58793 - in reply to #58772)

Those that say the fall/coldwater fish don`t fight good must be catching something else.

I couldnt agree more! Last October we were fishing at night, couldnt have been more than 50 degrees out. The guy I was fishing with put on a jitterbug, and about 10 casts later, a 42" came out of the water with the jitterbug in its mouth. He set the hook, and it made a run. The next time he got it near the boat, when it got about 10-15' from the boat, it came out of the water, completely. There wasnt a part of that fish still in the water. As it shook its head in the air, it pulled drag off his reel. A few minutes later we got a net on it. Awesome fight!
ToddM
Posted 2/5/2003 10:14 PM (#58839 - in reply to #58793)

For whatever reason when I catch a musky, they don't fight me that hard. No crazy jumps, flying leaps or big line ripping runs. I have only had one bone jarring strike a fish that I lost. My personal best casting hit a crankbait and I never felt it and it was summer. My first river musky, I thought I was reeling in a stick untill it got to my feet. Maybe they need some caffiene in the water.
sworrall
Posted 2/5/2003 10:47 PM (#58846 - in reply to #58839)

The hardest fighting muskie I have ever stuck is a 50" to 57" great Lakes strain in a river or impoundment. I have caught a few, and lost a BUNCH because of the crazy acrobatics I encounter with these fish. Magic.