Favorite time to fish?
sworrall
Posted 2/5/2003 2:07 PM (#58737)
Subject: Favorite time to fish?

Do you have a time of day you just seem to gravitate to to head out Muskie fishing? I have a habit of picking evenings if I only have a couple hours to spare, even if there is a morning major. Probably is a bad habit, anyone else suffering from this?
Mark H.
Posted 2/5/2003 2:09 PM (#58738 - in reply to #58737)
Subject: RE: Favorite time to fish?

Yup...with me it's evenings too.

I think it's more due to work schedule than anything else. I prefer mornings and pre-dawn if I can get to the lake.
esoxjunkie
Posted 2/5/2003 2:17 PM (#58740 - in reply to #58737)

Let me be the first to post this-My favorite time to fish is when I can.

For the most part though, I really like the first half hour before sunup, and the first hour or so after. Hasn't proven particular effective for me, but the lakes have much less traffic going on then, and the whole experience is much more enjoyable.

If I absolutely had to catch a fish, my money is on the last half hour of daylight.
Sponge
Posted 2/5/2003 2:23 PM (#58741 - in reply to #58737)

Good question...I suffer from many things, and seeing as how I rarely know the difference between night/day according to Dr. Spongette, I can't really say...I'll have to give it some thought...if there is a med. you can take for it, I probably got it in the cabinet...I'm starting to think about it now....
Had to hit the edit button, as I left the "a" out of start in the last sentence...

Edited by Sponge 2/5/2003 2:25 PM
sworrall
Posted 2/5/2003 2:28 PM (#58742 - in reply to #58738)

Really Mark, you have done well predawn? I can get out then quite a bit if I am back in my office by 8 AM. Are we talking about starting in the dark?
mavmskyb8
Posted 2/5/2003 2:43 PM (#58746 - in reply to #58742)

I prefer to fish later in the day and work twords sunset. All of the really big fish (one) that I've caught have been near dusk. I've caught some decent fish at all hours of the day, but the most active fish i've seen have been closer to dusk.:O
nwild
Posted 2/5/2003 2:44 PM (#58748 - in reply to #58741)

I am a huge fan of the last two hours of light and the first hour of dark, with the half hour that you can't tell if it would be called light or dark my favorite. About a third of my fish last year came in this half hour, to an hour period. All of my weekday trips are taken after work so fortunately this coincides with my favorite time on the water.

I am now finding that most of my weekend trips are also taken with this in mind. I tend to do my work around the house in the AM and load up the boat and take off about 1:00PM, after an hour of road time that gives me about eight hours on the water, and I end up fishing my prime time.

I wonder if its just a coincidence that I don't like to get up early in the morning and my favorite time to fish is the evening????
The Handyman
Posted 2/5/2003 2:57 PM (#58754 - in reply to #58748)

Have to go with Mark on this one.Last season did ALOT of 4am to 6:30am fishing and it always was a productive time before work.I have a boat launch less then a 1/4 mile away which helps.So maybe that time frame was good because we were the first out there?Shear time of alot of fishing?Or it was a good feeding window often,whatever the case it worked extremly well.It was almost 3to 1 to the evening bite(with people too!) Handy
muskyaddict
Posted 2/5/2003 3:24 PM (#58763 - in reply to #58737)

I have to go with evenings also.

Muskies to all.....Pat
MuskieMedic
Posted 2/5/2003 4:17 PM (#58775 - in reply to #58737)

I guess evenings are my favorite time out on the water, but morning has always been more productive for me.
guideman
Posted 2/5/2003 5:10 PM (#58784 - in reply to #58737)

Late evening on the Big V, is like
being in muskie heaven.
Jason Smith
Posted 2/5/2003 5:20 PM (#58785 - in reply to #58784)

I once fished for three weeks straight never missing a day. A guy I know meets me at the landing on a rare Saturday morning. He says.."Where have you been, I have not seen you for a long time". I said fishing!.....The guy says where?..I said HERE. He starts calling me a liar because he has never seen my truck in the lot. I laughed said I also pounded the fish. He gets all mad at me and the whole time I was laughing to myself. Then I said...."Well I did not see you puting your boat in two hours after dark and fishing after midnight"....lol

The point of the story....I love darkness and 1 AM does not bother me.
Matt Collins
Posted 2/5/2003 7:06 PM (#58803 - in reply to #58785)

I love the night life, I love to boogy, fighting a big musky from the bow of my Tuffy. Summer night fishing on those clear lakes up north. The lakes around me I've done best in early morning hours due to lack of water clarity and floating weeds make dodging the mine field hard when you can't see.
muskiekid
Posted 2/5/2003 8:19 PM (#58822 - in reply to #58737)

1700 - 1900 hours Zulu time

Edited by muskiekid 2/5/2003 8:21 PM
Steve Van Lieshout
Posted 2/5/2003 8:24 PM (#58823 - in reply to #58737)

The best time to go is when you can! It always has been, it always will be!
Starting you day by watching dawn arrive is wonderful! Ending the day in the dark on the Magnum is awesome too!
It is like having a coin toss with heads on both sides of the coin, you can't lose!!

Posted 2/5/2003 8:45 PM (#58824 - in reply to #58737)

Any day that ends in "Y". The mornings are the best for me. The peace is the important part, the fishing second.
ToddM
Posted 2/5/2003 10:00 PM (#58836 - in reply to #58824)

If it's really pressured boat traffic water mornings have always shined for me even in late fall. Less pressured waters I like evenings best.
Mark H.
Posted 2/6/2003 7:27 AM (#58869 - in reply to #58737)

Steve...

Mark's dictionary:

Pre-dawn means anytime from 3am till sunrise (when it starts to brighten up to where you don't need a flashlight any more)

My oh my....this is an awesome time of day.

Tie on a crankbait with rattles, or a topwater....

Safety note....

Fishing in dark alone can be a bit dangerous...make sure your prepaired.

Also a topwater bite in the dark will about make you pee in your cheerios. So eat your breakfast when you get back home...

Damn I miss the yellow smiley faces...I would have used one there..

We'll discuss this more at the shows or give me a call..You will love this time of day.

Mikes Extreme
Posted 2/6/2003 8:50 AM (#58878 - in reply to #58737)

Weekends would be mornings early 4am till 9am. Weekdays I can only fish after 4pm due to full time job(7am till 3pm). The only eception to this is Sunday nights when I have my best action after dark(June- Aug), no one is out and the fish seem to like the quiet after a buisy weekend with all the boat traffic. Bottom line is anytime you can get out, time on the water is the ticket.
7Islands
Posted 2/6/2003 9:19 AM (#58882 - in reply to #58737)

Suprised nobody mentioned this but my second favorite times are moonrise and moonset. Favorite time is when a moonrise or moonset corresponds with a sunrise or sunset or is close within an hour to two hours apart. BELEIVE IT: Works for Hunting also
FishingFool
Posted 2/6/2003 11:04 AM (#58890 - in reply to #58737)

For me it depends on the season.In the spring and summer I like the evening.In the fall,I like mid day fishing best.
Jim K
Posted 2/6/2003 11:31 AM (#58895 - in reply to #58737)

Mine would have to be getting on the lake before the sun rises. I have caught more fish just as it starts to get light than any other time of day. But also like nights watching the sunset over the horizen.. But as far as catching fish I will take the morning as it gets light out and the sun isnt up yet.

Jim
BigO
Posted 2/6/2003 3:13 PM (#58924 - in reply to #58895)

Early weekday mornings.  1 hour before sun up 'till 8:00 or 9:00am.  I work most weekends, and weekday mornings I have the water pretty much to myself.  I do enjoy bumping into the guys most weekday nights.  Good group on the local waters, chatin' on the radio and meeting up after dark at the launch.

I do agree though, whenever you can get out!

Otter
Posted 2/6/2003 3:58 PM (#58932 - in reply to #58737)

Foggy mornings.

Edited by Otter 2/6/2003 4:04 PM
muskyone
Posted 2/6/2003 4:19 PM (#58934 - in reply to #58737)

I am genuinly surprised that not one Muskie nut mentioned mid day. I see a lot of morning and evening guys but not many that stick it out the whole day long. I can tell you from many years of experience that if you are not fishing from 10:00 AM till 2:00 PM cdt. You are missing a few bites. As a tournament fisherman, we generally do not get to fish pre dawn or any where close to sunset. There is something magical that happens many days around 10:00 AM. Can't really explain it but just look at the tournament leader boards and take note of what times fish are caught. Lots of them go on the board between 10 & 2. Go figure.............