Leaders
chadw18
Posted 9/23/2013 10:21 PM (#665007)
Subject: Leaders

Has anyone tried the hybrid- solid wire connected to fluro leader? Also with fall approaching do people change thier leader at all? I only have one rod which is either double 10s or jerbaits(squirkos, medussa, or hellhounds) so I am not sure which leader to go with.
anzomcik
Posted 9/24/2013 5:12 AM (#665035 - in reply to #665007)
Subject: Re: Leaders

I have not tied a hybrid leader, nor have I tried them. As for changing leader for fall , no it is the same all year long.

It my belief that many people put way to much thought on their leaders. Once you find a good quality leader, one you either make yourself or buy from a company, use it all year.

I run about a 10"long fluro leader I make myself, I use it for spinners, rubber, gliders, jerks, live bait.... every aspect of musky fishing, except trolling the only difference is my trolling leader I use are 30-36 long.

But for casting don't over think it, do your homework on a quality leader, and go fishing. I cant tell a difference if I run a solid wire leader vs a wire leader vs fluro leader in terms of bait action. I acquired a spool of fluro so that's why my leaders are fluro.
Andy
Posted 9/24/2013 6:04 AM (#665038 - in reply to #665007)
Subject: RE: Leaders

I made my own for Lake St Clair. About 5-6 feet of 80 lb flouro with about 4-5 inches of 120 something lb single strand wire for the snap end. First time out I caught two nice, but a slightly smaller, fish with a Tuff Shad on it. It seemed to work fine. I'll likely make a few more, I like the idea of a short piece of the wire right at the bait. I only use the 80 lb leader material on lake St Clair after getting lots of advice from the guys that fish that lake regularly. I use straight 130 lb for trolling and casting everywhere else. Andy
Brad P
Posted 9/24/2013 8:43 AM (#665061 - in reply to #665007)

I fish a lot, so my big change is replace the snap on the leader for my Pounder rod. If you are using a wind-on system and fishing in sub freezing temps it makes sense to switch to a conventional leader as the flouro will bring in more water to your guides which will cause them to ice up faster.
jakejusa
Posted 9/24/2013 12:41 PM (#665101 - in reply to #665007)

I mostly use straight SS wire with no swivel and a stayloc snap at the lure. I do change out the stayloc as fall comes on and baits tend to get bigger. I also keep an eye on them throughout the year any sign of not being hard to open and close they get swapped out. I can honestly say over all the years the only consistent leader failure we have seen has been with floro. We normally use double crimps, melt ends, and super glue. Failures have come at the loop, I have tried loop guards but do not like the extra weight this gives.
chadw18
Posted 9/24/2013 12:53 PM (#665107 - in reply to #665007)

Thanks everyone for the input! I have been using a 14 inch beast leader from MI, I am going to get a 10 in fluro. I was always timid to do this because of hearing that you should only use straight wire leaders with jerkbaits but reading your guys input that might not be 100% true.
anzomcik
Posted 9/24/2013 2:20 PM (#665112 - in reply to #665007)

I use to use strait wire for leaders on gliders, I thought it was the best leader to use (even though I never tried any thing else) since that time I have stopped carrying several rod and reel combos and for the last several years have only one casting combo. I feel that by simplifying my setups to one combo I have freed my thinking that I "need" to have a specific "leader, rod, reel..." for this kind of fishing. So in short you don't need a specific leader

I do not tangle any more with fluro leaders than strait wire using glide baits, I don't have kinking issues, if my leader gets chewed I tie on another.

No need to be timid, if people are saying something, ask why are they saying it. Then you can see if they are saying that because it is truly needed ( example: like putting the plug in the boat) or saying it because that's just how they always did it. If that's how they always did it, then maybe try something else out if it will make your life easier.
Andy
Posted 9/24/2013 5:38 PM (#665143 - in reply to #665038)

Andy - 9/24/2013 6:04 AM

I made my own for Lake St Clair. About 5-6 feet of 80 lb flouro with about 4-5 inches of 120 something lb single strand wire for the snap end. First time out I caught two nice, but a slightly smaller, fish with a Tuff Shad on it. It seemed to work fine. I'll likely make a few more, I like the idea of a short piece of the wire right at the bait. I only use the 80 lb leader material on lake St Clair after getting lots of advice from the guys that fish that lake regularly. I use straight 130 lb for trolling and casting everywhere else. Andy

If that wasn't obvious, I should clarify that I only use the hybrid type for trolling. I use 10-12" of 140-174 lb single strand wire or 130 lb flouro for casting baits like you are talking about. Andy
TheYoungGun_
Posted 9/27/2013 2:52 PM (#665578 - in reply to #665007)

I found the stealth tackle Greg Thomas hybrid leader and I like it so far. No complaints