NEWBY

Posted 2/4/2003 8:09 PM (#58604)
Subject: NEWBY

Hello fellow muskymen,

I will be heading to Lake of the Woods at the end of August and I want to fish for muskies. It will be my first time ;-). Any suggestions. I just bought a new Shimano Calyx 100A, I need to buy a pole as well. I will use the combo as a basscaster, northern troller and musky pole. Any suggestions on a good reasonable priced rod?

Any suggestions on how to fish the muskies in the islands area on LOTW at the end of August, what color, types of baits, etc?

Thanks so much boys!!!
Sponge
Posted 2/4/2003 8:14 PM (#58605 - in reply to #58604)
Subject: RE: NEWBY

I'd love to help you BUT...I've never fished that area, but have done a lot of TROLLING...perhaps some others could bite on this one?

Posted 2/4/2003 10:06 PM (#58622 - in reply to #58604)

Anyone have input... I would love to hear anything anyone has to say!!!
Jason Smith
Posted 2/4/2003 10:21 PM (#58632 - in reply to #58622)

On suggestion is to keep watching this site and welcome by the way. An other thing you can do is use "search forums" above. Put in a certain topic and there have been countless answers to rods over the last two years.

I suggest if you are doing muli-species to look at flipping stick. St. Croix, Lamiglas and many others make really nice ones that you can use for Pike, Walleye, Bass and even Muskie with smaller Mepps bucktails.
WV Musky
Posted 2/4/2003 10:24 PM (#58634 - in reply to #58604)

WELCOME!!!
That area is not in my neck of the woods. Sorry. But my advice is to not buy everything you see at tackle stores. (As I did...Doh!!) Just buy like 2 of each!!! I can't help you with what baits to buy for LOTW, but I'd say go with a black bucktail, a suick, a bulldawg, a couple jerkbaits, and a couple minnowbaits. Buy the lures which match the forage in the lake. Look at www.muskyshop.com
Good Luck,
Shawn
zboudreau
Posted 2/4/2003 10:26 PM (#58637 - in reply to #58604)

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/article.asp?aid=57&category=Chat