Jointed vs. non-jointed cranks
dami0101
Posted 9/18/2013 11:05 AM (#664008)
Subject: Jointed vs. non-jointed cranks

Are there situations where one is better than the other when given the option between the same lure i.e. jointed shallow raider vs non jointed shallow raider? Is one typically superior to the other? I'm talking straight retrieve with maybe 1 or two twitches boat side. These are for my dad who sits in the back of the boat and doesn't figure 8 due to lack of mobility and he refuses to use anything more than a 7'6" rod so he can't reach far into the water.
Posted 9/18/2013 11:42 AM (#664021 - in reply to #664008)
Subject: RE: Jointed vs. non-jointed cranks

Either can be good any time. Sometimes you have to try both and let the fish tell you which to use. However, I have found that straight cranks seem to be better than jtd in colder water periods like spring and fall and sometimes jtd are best in the warm water of summer.

Jtd baits also appear to be moving faster than straight baits so maybe if the fish want fast baits and are active, jtd may be better.

I also seem to do better deep with straight baits, but that is probably just because most of my deep running cranks are straight vs jtd.

I think I remember seeing a video on this subject on MH site, but I didn't watch it. You might want to see what Saric has to say on the subject.

Brian
Posted 9/18/2013 2:09 PM (#664064 - in reply to #664008)
Subject: RE: Jointed vs. non-jointed cranks

If he can't figure eight, then have him throw a straight model and do a "deadstick" at boatside.

Brian
jonnysled
Posted 9/18/2013 2:18 PM (#664066 - in reply to #664064)
Subject: Re: Jointed vs. non-jointed cranks

negative fish like to follow jointed baits ... that's when i use em anyway. gets em off their fat, lazy butts.