If you could only have 3 setups?
dami0101
Posted 9/9/2013 11:20 AM (#662096)
Subject: If you could only have 3 setups?

Being limited by money and boat space it's not really feasible for me to have more than just a handful of setups.  So I'm wondering if you were limited to 3 rod and reel setups what would they be?
The Swan
Posted 9/9/2013 11:28 AM (#662097 - in reply to #662096)
Subject: RE: If you could only have 3 setups?

Are you new to musky fishing? How tight is the money? Don't put yourself in debt over a sport. Very generally, I would buy two rod and reel combinations that I felt comfortable with that would throw bucktails and crankbaits interchangably. If I could afford a third rod and reel combo, I would buy a rod with a tip stiff enough to handle jerkbaits up to the 9" Suick. You don't need anything more than that.
Zinox
Posted 9/9/2013 11:30 AM (#662098 - in reply to #662096)
Subject: Re: If you could only have 3 setups?

Not cheap but still i would go with.
6ยด6" Musky innowations 10oz (calssic jerkbait) rod with a abu 6501c3.
8' Musky innovation 10oz (bucktail/spinnerbaits) with a Tranx HG with power handle.
ST Croix BigDawg with a Tranx HG.

With this i would be able to throw and work every lure i use.
anzomcik
Posted 9/9/2013 11:34 AM (#662099 - in reply to #662098)

1. St Croix, LT big dawg with Tranx HG.
2. Empty
3.Empty

I have this combo, it does everything great for me. Not a cheap combo, but its the only one you need so you save money by not buying the other two combos.

1 Combo isnt for everyone, but it works perfect for me
muskyhunter47
Posted 9/9/2013 11:38 AM (#662101 - in reply to #662096)

1st set up pounder 9 foot predator xx heavy tranx hg
2nd set up big blades 9 foot predator heavy tranx pg
3rd trolling rod 9 foot glass rod tekota 600 line counter is e it
I fished vermilion for a week these were the only rods I pulled out to fish with
Zinox
Posted 9/9/2013 11:39 AM (#662102 - in reply to #662096)

My BigDawg with the tranx HG is my go to set up as well, for basically anything :P except classic gliders, but i'm sure it would work(not be the most perfect setup for the task, but work) if i wanted to practice a bit :P
Big Perc
Posted 9/9/2013 11:53 AM (#662106 - in reply to #662096)

#1 Legend Tournament 8'6" Sling Blade with a Revo Toro Winch 60 (buck tail, crankbaits)
#2 Legend Tournament 8'6" Big Dawg with a Calcutta CTE400 (jerk bait, topwater)
#3 Musky Mayhem Avaio 9' with a Diawa Saltist 20 H-C Levelwind with Auto-engage (big plastics)
psv
Posted 9/9/2013 12:01 PM (#662107 - in reply to #662096)

If you are on the budget now I'd suggest to buy the best reels you can afford and pair them with "budget" class rods (TI, MI, Okuma, etc)
dami0101
Posted 9/9/2013 12:30 PM (#662112 - in reply to #662097)

The Swan - 9/9/2013 11:28 AM

Are you new to musky fishing? How tight is the money? Don't put yourself in debt over a sport. Very generally, I would buy two rod and reel combinations that I felt comfortable with that would throw bucktails and crankbaits interchangably. If I could afford a third rod and reel combo, I would buy a rod with a tip stiff enough to handle jerkbaits up to the 9" Suick. You don't need anything more than that.

Sorry I forgot to finish this post.
Currently I have an 8' H Cabelas paired with a Calcutta 400 B and a W20H-C Saltist paired with a 8'6" XH Mojo musky. These setups were collected from Christmas and Birthdays and I was thinking of selling some of it and starting over. I think that ideally what I would want is a short setup for jerks/gliders and I figure I could probably use the Calcutta B for this, a rod for bucktails, spinners, and cranks, probably 9' and would need a new reel for this, and then a big plastics setup, 9' and I could keep the Saltist for this. I'm pretty sure that I will sell my Mojo Musky at the end of the season because I don't care for the split grip and I don't like how I need to fight the rod to keep it close to the water so I don't blow my blades out due to the 35" per turn of the saltist. I don't like using my saltist due to the lack of spool brakes because I tend to backlash every 5 throws or so with lighter baits and I don't dare cast into the wind.
Posted 9/9/2013 12:40 PM (#662115 - in reply to #662096)

If you do mostly casting:
1. 8'+ XHF (eg Big Nasty or mojo TI Okuma etc equivalents) w/ high torque 30" IPT reel -- PG tranx or Avet SX or Saltist Trinidad or Calcutta 700 etc -- something that will move blades at a decent pace (forget "true" burning) and not kill you in an hour (for blades)
2. 8'+ HF or MHF (eg Slingblade, Long Ranger or equivilents w/ "normal" geared 25" IPT reel -- Calcutta 400, Abu etc (for cranks, dive/rise jerks, surface propbaits, tubes and smaller plastic -- anything that you want to run medium-slow to medium-fast and doesn't have the kind of resistance offered by big blades)
3. The above 2 could do A LOT of the kind of casting that happens on Shield lakes. Some people would find that gliders and wtd baits (which might not alone be worth carrying a full setup for) and even suicks and other baits they want something heavier and shorter than #2 above. In which case you're looking at a 76-8' HF/XHF with a 25-30 IPT reel. Some people would say a 300D calcutta, or a Abu C4. Throwing pounder plastic requires a setup that might be #1 above, though the Trinidad and Avet w/out levelwind make that harder.

If you troll a little, #2 above would do fine. If you troll a lot, your 3rd set up would be a heavy (cheap) glass rod (dipsy diver rod, Shimano TDR etc) with, ideally, a line counter reel.

If you fish alone, rods longer than 8' can make netting fish a lot harder.
Posted 9/9/2013 12:59 PM (#662120 - in reply to #662112)

dami0101 - 9/9/2013 12:30 PM

Currently I have an 8' H Cabelas paired with a Calcutta 400 B and a W20H-C Saltist paired with a 8'6" XH Mojo musky. These setups were collected from Christmas and Birthdays and I was thinking of selling some of it and starting over. I think that ideally what I would want is a short setup for jerks/gliders and I figure I could probably use the Calcutta B for this, a rod for bucktails, spinners, and cranks, probably 9' and would need a new reel for this, and then a big plastics setup, 9' and I could keep the Saltist for this. I'm pretty sure that I will sell my Mojo Musky at the end of the season because I don't care for the split grip and I don't like how I need to fight the rod to keep it close to the water so I don't blow my blades out due to the 35" per turn of the saltist. I don't like using my saltist due to the lack of spool brakes because I tend to backlash every 5 throws or so with lighter baits and I don't dare cast into the wind.

Changing rods won't help you with the problem of blades blowing out of the water at better than 35" IPT. At those speeds that's the reality -- adding a bunch of lead to your bucktail helps a little, but with any rod you'll be fighting keep the tip jammed underwater to keep the blades submerged. Guys who are burning blades at 40" IPT must have arms and shoulders like Shwarznegger.

Not many people are going all that much shorter than 8' for jerks and gliders. Certainly not for dive/rise jerks. Lots of people throwing those on slingblades. I'd try out a 76 jerk rod first before deciding that the 8' H you have is too long. If you want to go really short, on a budget, there are quality 69 and 63 jerk rods from 10 years ago that go cheap on the buy/sell. Some guys love the super short for gliders. But really, are gliders and walk the dog baits worth having dedicated set up? Depends on your style and water.

Don't start over -- evolve. You won't be able to sell the mojo for nearly what its worth as a rod in you boat -- if you don't like the split grip, maybe you can fill in the skinny part with heavy foam and hockey tape. A 8'6" XH rod is pretty useful. And a 400b is a good reel. Maybe think not in terms of having 3 discrete setups but having a number of components (rods and reels) that you can mix and match through a season to see what combos fit best for certain conditions and techniques. You put a powerhandle on a calcutta, put it on the mojo, you've got a nice blades rod. Guys like Hulbert fish pounders with calcutta 400s and swear by them.
cast10K
Posted 9/9/2013 1:46 PM (#662133 - in reply to #662096)

You only need one rod. If you're sure that you're going to stick with muskie fishing, buy one good setup, and add to it as the funds become available. I have a bunch of combos that sit below deck or in my garage, and I'm currently only really using 3 of them - and many days only 1 or 2 of them. Go buy an nacl or 400d, and put it on a MI or Okuma or similar. Heard there are new Shimano muskie rods coming out soon, have had good luck with those in the past, although I'd stay away from the most recent ones, as the balance is terrible. The last thing you want is a garage full of junk that you don't use anymore - THAT is what I consider expensive.

Sorry, didn't see your second post and didn't realize that you already had muskie rigs, but my advice still stands, and that's to buy quality from here on out.
anzomcik
Posted 9/9/2013 2:17 PM (#662140 - in reply to #662102)

Zinox - 9/9/2013 12:39 PM

My BigDawg with the tranx HG is my go to set up as well, for basically anything :P except classic gliders, but i'm sure it would work(not be the most perfect setup for the task, but work) if i wanted to practice a bit :P

I found I love working gliders with the BD, it takes a small tap of the rod or sometimes I use the reel to put in the gliders movement (tranx HG picks up enough line to do that with out needing to move the rod, I know you can with other reels but HG does it better because it is grabbing so much line).

For a one rod combo, its hard to beat.
Ky221
Posted 9/9/2013 3:00 PM (#662150 - in reply to #662140)

I'm pretty new to this myself. I've gotten by with 2 rods since I started muskie fishing back in late march.
To start I bought a 7' heavy Tica rated 1-4 oz. I toss AC shiners, 6" jakes, small bucktails, grim reapers, and topwaters with it. Paired it with a plain jane abu garcia 5500 c3 and spooled it with 50# power pro. It has become my lightweight/spring bait rod. Have about 230$ invested in it and it has caught 6 or 7 muskies for me just fine.

For rod # 2 I bought a Crash mullins head jerker rod and paired it with a Revo Toro HS for larger (large to me is 4,5 and 6ozs) jerkbaits this fall. Spooled it up with 65# power pro. I'm into it for about 370$.

I could probably fish the rest of my days with these two setups and be happy. I don't throw pounders, DCGS, etc.

I am thinking of adding a 3rd setup so for my 3rd id go
St. Croix premier 7'6 or a Tica 7'6 paired with a Revo Toro HS.

dami0101
Posted 9/9/2013 3:49 PM (#662160 - in reply to #662120)

Guest - 9/9/2013 12:59 PM

dami0101 - 9/9/2013 12:30 PM

Changing rods won't help you with the problem of blades blowing out of the water at better than 35" IPT. At those speeds that's the reality -- adding a bunch of lead to your bucktail helps a little, but with any rod you'll be fighting keep the tip jammed underwater to keep the blades submerged. Guys who are burning blades at 40" IPT must have arms and shoulders like Shwarznegger.

Not many people are going all that much shorter than 8' for jerks and gliders. Certainly not for dive/rise jerks. Lots of people throwing those on slingblades. I'd try out a 76 jerk rod first before deciding that the 8' H you have is too long. If you want to go really short, on a budget, there are quality 69 and 63 jerk rods from 10 years ago that go cheap on the buy/sell. Some guys love the super short for gliders. But really, are gliders and walk the dog baits worth having dedicated set up? Depends on your style and water.

Don't start over -- evolve. You won't be able to sell the mojo for nearly what its worth as a rod in you boat -- if you don't like the split grip, maybe you can fill in the skinny part with heavy foam and hockey tape. A 8'6" XH rod is pretty useful. And a 400b is a good reel. Maybe think not in terms of having 3 discrete setups but having a number of components (rods and reels) that you can mix and match through a season to see what combos fit best for certain conditions and techniques. You put a powerhandle on a calcutta, put it on the mojo, you've got a nice blades rod. Guys like Hulbert fish pounders with calcutta 400s and swear by them.

I've tried working Suicks and hell hounds with the 8' Cabelas but I can't seem to get a rhythm going and I keep hitting the water with the rod. That's why I was thinking about the shorter rod.
Ky221
Posted 9/9/2013 4:32 PM (#662174 - in reply to #662096)

Snap your rod to the side instead of up and down with the hell hounds. The HH is easy to walk with light sideways pulls
wicked
Posted 9/9/2013 4:45 PM (#662180 - in reply to #662096)

I'd get the either the top n tail or long ranger with revo toro hs. A big nasty with the toro NaCl. Those two should handle most baits and then a rod for trolling/live bait.
bowhunter29
Posted 9/9/2013 4:54 PM (#662184 - in reply to #662096)

My go-to setups are a Big Dawg with a Tranx and a TI XH with a Revo Toro 60 HS. Those two setups will throw anything. The only other outfit I use is a smaller rod, either a TI MH or a Phenix C796H to throw small baits. This smaller rod is paired with a Revo SX. It's a great combo to fish the rattlebait bite at Cave Run.

jeremy
tolle141
Posted 9/11/2013 7:14 PM (#662669 - in reply to #662096)

I currently rock 2 1/2 setups.
1. TI XXH 9' w/ Tranx PG for big blades and the heavy stuff
2. 8'6" Mojo Musky w/ Curado 300 for everything else
1/2. An old 6'9" St Croix backup that get's the Curado whenever I break my Mojo (no idea how I keep breaking those things)
Brad P
Posted 9/11/2013 8:44 PM (#662689 - in reply to #662096)

Best General Purpose set up you can buy IMO:
9' Heavy Predator with 2" off the tip and Titanium Oxide guides, paired with a 400D
Get this rod first, it will do everthing except Pounders and weighs about as much as a heavier bass set up.

From there get a XH Predator with Tranx for Pounders and 13s and a custom glide bait setup with a 300D. You'll be a happy camper. After that look into a custom trolling set up. Well worth the cost if versatility is part of your game.
dami0101
Posted 9/11/2013 9:19 PM (#662698 - in reply to #662689)

Brad P - 9/11/2013 8:44 PM

Best General Purpose set up you can buy IMO:
9' Heavy Predator with 2" off the tip and Titanium Oxide guides, paired with a 400D
Get this rod first, it will do everthing except Pounders and weighs about as much as a heavier bass set up.

From there get a XH Predator with Tranx for Pounders and 13s and a custom glide bait setup with a 300D. You'll be a happy camper. After that look into a custom trolling set up. Well worth the cost if versatility is part of your game.

Why 2" off the top?
Brad P
Posted 9/12/2013 8:36 AM (#662736 - in reply to #662096)

It makes it slightly stiffer so it has more muscle up top. Better figure 8s with stuff like Cowgirls, also tolerates "mag" sized rubber. The Titanium guides are really what makes the thing shine though, they are where you save weight. Casts everything great, 400D handles just about everything well. If you really want to get creative, make one with the new reel seat the St. Croix is putting on the their LTE series. I did this in a split grip and it really pays dividends on the Figure 8 transition.

Best Rod I've built so far, it is just awesome.
jasond
Posted 9/12/2013 12:39 PM (#662782 - in reply to #662736)

I think Brad hit it on the head for the best all purpose rod. That Thore Bros 9' -2 H Predator is on my wish list for the next time $400 falls in my lap For my liking I would also add a jerkbait specific rod to your lineup as well. My jerkbait rod is a 7'6" H and it always has a single strand wire leader on it. I have worked jerkbaits with longer rods, but i just like a shorter rod for topwater WTD lures and most gliders.
Ronix
Posted 9/12/2013 1:16 PM (#662790 - in reply to #662096)

2 big nastys paired with revo 61s and 1 XH predator with a Calcutta TE.
BenR
Posted 9/12/2013 1:46 PM (#662797 - in reply to #662096)

I really like light rods, so I have a 8'5" Dadson custom for big plastic, I made it that length to fit in my truck if need be. The rod has a 400d with the 300D gears in it. 9' 2 piece Dadson custom with 400D for pretty much anything that needs to be thrown. I would also need to bring a 7'10" dadson custom creature/jig rod with okuma 40a. I have others, but these would cover everything and travel well. BR
dami0101
Posted 9/13/2013 11:08 AM (#662961 - in reply to #662797)

BenR - 9/12/2013 1:46 PM

I really like light rods, so I have a 8'5" Dadson custom for big plastic, I made it that length to fit in my truck if need be. The rod has a 400d with the 300D gears in it. 9' 2 piece Dadson custom with 400D for pretty much anything that needs to be thrown. I would also need to bring a 7'10" dadson custom creature/jig rod with okuma 40a. I have others, but these would cover everything and travel well. BR

Can you order the 400 with 300 gears direct from Shimano or how do you go about doing that?
Posted 9/13/2013 11:11 AM (#662965 - in reply to #662961)

dami0101 - 9/13/2013 11:08 AM

BenR - 9/12/2013 1:46 PM

Can you order the 400 with 300 gears direct from Shimano or how do you go about doing that?

Aftermarket. Only a few people have done it. Talk to Propster -- he was the first.
BenR
Posted 9/13/2013 11:16 AM (#662968 - in reply to #662096)

Propster is a great person to touch base with. He really helped me out. If you need a real for big rubber and large baits, the reel is great. It also would be good for smaller blades. BR
dami0101
Posted 9/13/2013 11:32 AM (#662970 - in reply to #662968)

BenR - 9/13/2013 11:16 AM

Propster is a great person to touch base with. He really helped me out. If you need a real for big rubber and large baits, the reel is great. It also would be good for smaller blades. BR

I'm thinking the Tranx is just going to be too big for my hands, my Saltist 20 already has my hand aching after a day of using it. So I was thinking perhaps a 400D for blades and then a 400D with 300 gears or NACL HS for everything else. Course all of this requires a lot of money so it would be slowly accrued, perhaps 1 new rod and reel by next season.
Cranker
Posted 9/13/2013 11:39 AM (#662974 - in reply to #662096)

If price isn't a problem i would have
1) Rod, St. Croix Legend Tournament Musky "Big Nasty" 9 footer, with a Abu Garcia Toro 60,
2) Rod, St. Croix Legend Tournament Musky "Long Ranger" 8'6 footer, with a Abu Garcia Toro 60
3)Rod, St. Croix Legend Tournament Musky " Top-N-Tail" 8 footer, with a Abu Garcia Toro Winch 60

Those are my combos of choice. Crank
Brad P
Posted 9/13/2013 11:50 AM (#662978 - in reply to #662970)

dami0101 - 9/13/2013 11:32 AM

BenR - 9/13/2013 11:16 AM

I'm thinking the Tranx is just going to be too big for my hands, my Saltist 20 already has my hand aching after a day of using it. So I was thinking perhaps a 400D for blades and then a 400D with 300 gears or NACL HS for everything else. Course all of this requires a lot of money so it would be slowly accrued, perhaps 1 new rod and reel by next season.

Hold the foregrip. Problem solved. You have more hook setting power and figure 8 transition is smoother.
BenR
Posted 9/13/2013 12:05 PM (#662982 - in reply to #662096)

I think "power" on the hookset is overrated with 9 foot rods, 100lb line, and sharp hooks. Perhaps speed and the quickness of the snap is more important. Some pretty good videos on here I believe from this type of discussion in years past. I stick with palming reels to improve my hooksets and success rate. BR
Posted 9/14/2013 8:26 AM (#663126 - in reply to #662096)

My 3 setups

Predator 9 XH with Shimano 400D - Rubber and all around
STC Sling Blade 8.6 with Tranx PG - Bucktails, cranks and jerks
STC Long Ranger 8.6 with Revo Toro - Topwater and smaller bucktails