Need advice on line and reel combo
Billy Quiets
Posted 9/2/2013 6:23 PM (#660923)
Subject: Need advice on line and reel combo

I'm heading up to Northern Minnesota for a week of muskie fishing and I want to get the best line for each of the reels I'll be using. Based on what I've read here so far, I want to put 80# braid on my Garcia 6500. I don't have any idea which one is the best all around, and this is going to be my main rod for casting virtually every bait and trolling so I could use some advice.

I'm also going to be casting a much smaller and lighter lure (rapala floater) with my bass reel. I'm mainly going to be using this for shore lunch, but I managed to catch a really nice muskie on it last year with 12# flourocarbon and I'm not sure my heart can take it again so I wondered if there was any smaller braid or some other line that could cast such a light lure and still stand up to a big muskie.

Thank you for any advice, I really appreciate it!
Posted 9/2/2013 7:28 PM (#660933 - in reply to #660923)
Subject: RE: Need advice on line and reel combo

For the bass reel -- if it is on a light rod rated up to an oz or so, 50# braid is about same diameter as your 12# fluorocarbon and would work fine as long as you don't cast anything heavier than an oz or so. But 12# fluoro/mono on a light rod with the drag set light should do fine too. With those little rapala hooks, you can't go toe-to-toe with the fish and muscle it into submission boatside like we try to do with full-scale musky gear to keep the fight short. So the strength of the line isn't the problem really: Problem is, with 50# braid or 12# mono or fluoro, musky can bite you off. But any leader you put on that is actually gunna stop a muskys' teeth is going to ruin the lure's action in terms of walleye fishing. If you're willing to abandon the idea of finessing walleye, then load the reel with 50# braid, put a light 7 strand steel leader on it, don't cast any baits heavier than an ounce, be fine. BUT if you're going to abandon the idea of walleye and use the outfit to target musky...it's too light for the job and you should cast your floating rapala on the garcia 6500 with 80# braid and a real leader.

I suggest if you're going to cast a little rapala for walleye, use your 12# fluoro, or lighter, and hope a musky doesn't bite LOL
Billy Quiets
Posted 9/4/2013 3:05 PM (#661327 - in reply to #660933)
Subject: RE: Need advice on line and reel combo

Thank you for the advice. I decided to stick with the flouro on the bass reel and just bump it up to 15#. I'm actually casting in the shallows for northerns for shore lunch, that's where I caught the big muskie last year (right on the edge of a steep drop-off). I use a very light nylostrand leader to keep from inhibiting the action on the bait too much.