CHICAGO: ARRRGHHH ... my 1st muskie
T Dot
Posted 8/22/2013 11:59 AM (#658843)
Subject: CHICAGO: ARRRGHHH ... my 1st muskie

1st trip & 1st muskie... now that im hooked - whats next?

what tackle sites are recommended to get all the proper tools?

thanks in advance!
MuskyMo
Posted 8/22/2013 12:24 PM (#658850 - in reply to #658843)
Subject: RE: CHICAGO: ARRRGHHH ... my 1st muskie

First off congrats on your first Muskie. Obviously you are a beginner in the muskie world. Your picture will be getting some people balled up im guessing, as the fish is just laying in the bottom of the boat. If you dont know, musky are very fragile and have a high death rate if not handled properly. You probably dont know any better. They cannot take being out of the water very long. First before you go out any more you need to get yourself the proper net, hookout, pliars, and hook cutters. When you hook a musky try to net the fish and leave the fish in the water until you are able to get the hook out of its mouth. Once your camera man is ready for a pic, hold the fish, snap the pic and IMMEDIATLY put the fish back in water(should be no more than 20-30 seconds out of water tops). This is vital to the fishs chance of survival. The fish you caught going by the pics most likely had a delayed mortality. There are many good tips on proper tools and techniques on handling muskys on the site. I highly recomment you read them. But maybe the fish lived. A musky should never be laying in the boat with a hook in the mouth unless you want the fish to die. Good luck.
T Dot
Posted 8/22/2013 12:41 PM (#658854 - in reply to #658850)
Subject: RE: CHICAGO: ARRRGHHH ... my 1st muskie

MuskyMo - 8/22/2013 12:24 PM

First off congrats on your first Muskie. Obviously you are a beginner in the muskie world. Your picture will be getting some people balled up im guessing, as the fish is just laying in the bottom of the boat. If you dont know, musky are very fragile and have a high death rate if not handled properly. You probably dont know any better. They cannot take being out of the water very long. First before you go out any more you need to get yourself the proper net, hookout, pliars, and hook cutters. When you hook a musky try to net the fish and leave the fish in the water until you are able to get the hook out of its mouth. Once your camera man is ready for a pic, hold the fish, snap the pic and IMMEDIATLY put the fish back in water(should be no more than 20-30 seconds out of water tops). This is vital to the fishs chance of survival. The fish you caught going by the pics most likely had a delayed mortality. There are many good tips on proper tools and techniques on handling muskys on the site. I highly recomment you read them. But maybe the fish lived. A musky should never be laying in the boat with a hook in the mouth unless you want the fish to die. Good luck.

thanks for the detailed information! i will be sure to keep this in mind for future trips.

i want to note, the fish was back in the water within 60seconds (roughly what i do when it coming to swimbaiting for bass). we had a few issues removing the hooks.
MD75
Posted 8/22/2013 6:01 PM (#658915 - in reply to #658843)
Subject: Re: CHICAGO: ARRRGHHH ... my 1st muskie

Nice looking IL muskie! The bait shop at the lake sells leaders and release tools last time I checked...I wonder how long until they start selling rat wake baits? FYI- Thorne bros in MN. is having a 20% off sale right now with free shipping if you drop enough $ or MTO has a bunch of great stuff as well. There is a video on this site somewhere that details "proper" release techniques. Good work!

Edited by MD75 8/22/2013 6:02 PM
Jeremy
Posted 8/22/2013 6:07 PM (#658916 - in reply to #658843)

Congrats man. Once bitten, never forgotten!!

Yep, you'll need to get your release techniques down and handling issues but I'm sure you'll dig that stuff up soon. Nice fish!

Fun, eh??

Jeremy.
sworrall
Posted 8/22/2013 6:13 PM (#658919 - in reply to #658843)

Nice fish, and good questions. Tools are important, and a place to hold 'em so in the heat of battle you'll easily locate them.
MuskyMATT7
Posted 8/22/2013 7:06 PM (#658926 - in reply to #658919)

Is that a Nezuma Rat?
ILmuskie
Posted 8/23/2013 7:56 AM (#658999 - in reply to #658843)

Great fish and good job!
T Dot
Posted 8/23/2013 12:58 PM (#659080 - in reply to #658843)

thanks all for the great tips and words of encouragement. i read here often and was reluctant to post as a new kid on the block. it took me several years of swimbaiting to learn that part of the game, and this is a total different beast.

i am on the search of a quality net. however, it appears my beloved tacklewarehouse does not carry these types of tools. so the search goes on!

muskie tales is at a local pond i fish. i am going to stop by there and speak to a couple knowledgeable people.

my buddy rodel (which some of you may know or be familiar with), has always bugged me to lay off the bass and start playing with the real fish. well - i now know why he bugged me for these many years.

<thanks rodel - now i need more gear and more lures!>
thewal2
Posted 8/23/2013 3:31 PM (#659117 - in reply to #658843)

Look up:
Musky Tackle online if you like tackle ware house I find that they are both 2 of my fave shops for baits....But I also like thorne brothers as well. Both of those places will have what you need.
The Nate
Posted 8/23/2013 4:25 PM (#659134 - in reply to #658843)

Grander mountain in Geneva, Bass Pro down in Bolingbrook or Cabelas in Schaumburg will have a suitable net. Get a Beckmann or Frabile, both are excellent nets. Order a pair of knipex and a long nose pliers and some leaders and you will be good to go.

Congrats on the catch!
KentuckyMuskie
Posted 8/23/2013 4:43 PM (#659139 - in reply to #658843)

Nice job!
Congrats on catching a musky on your first time out.
Now, just try to stay at 100% and catch and release at least one on each fishing trip.

Took me 7 months between my first musky and my second. 7 months of very dedicated musky fishing.
Congrats on the catch!
ILmuskie
Posted 8/23/2013 7:19 PM (#659161 - in reply to #658843)

Do not forget to go to Chicago Musky Show in early January! NICE!
ToddM
Posted 8/24/2013 8:49 PM (#659366 - in reply to #658843)

You have to like this guys attitude and understanding the need to move forward. Musky Tales will help you. Not sure what town you live in but our musky club holds meetings in Schaumberg and your welcome to visit. Click on the frv link below for more info.
archerynut36
Posted 8/25/2013 9:54 AM (#659424 - in reply to #659366)

ToddM - 8/24/2013 9:49 PM

You have to like this guys attitude and understanding the need to move forward. Musky Tales will help you. Not sure what town you live in but our musky club holds meetings in Schaumberg and your welcome to visit. Click on the frv link below for more info.

todd is right about this.. there is a lot to learn about our sport . and the frv guys can teach you a lot. I have known many of them for years and they are all good guys that will go out of their way to help you in your new endeavor also a good guide can teach you a lot too not just how to catch them but handling them and using all the tools of the trade....bill