Any Advice??
codyd
Posted 8/14/2013 3:43 AM (#657293)
Subject: Any Advice??

I've Been moving a ton of fish on plastics and cant seem to get them to commit in the 8. I've tired speed and direction change but no takers.... Any tips or advice would be great.
thanks, Cody
wicked
Posted 8/14/2013 9:59 AM (#657333 - in reply to #657293)
Subject: Re: Any Advice??

With baits like dawgs I treat them like a bucktail when it comes to the 8. As you approach the boat I will straight retrieve the last 10' or so and go right into the 8 just as you would with a tail. That's what works best for me. Good luck Russ
jerryb
Posted 8/14/2013 8:35 PM (#657455 - in reply to #657293)

Your not moving your bait fast enough, it's August and water temps are at there highest point. Your dealing with a cold blooded creature, move your bait faster! If need be,,, Troll at 5- what ever it takes. Last weekend I fished a cooling lake where we found water temps that hit 114, it took 8+ mph to get the blue cats to strike.

Edited by jerryb 8/14/2013 8:36 PM
sworrall
Posted 8/14/2013 11:45 PM (#657479 - in reply to #657293)

Water temps on the lake I fished tonight were 67.5. Not close to the highest for the year.
CiscoKid
Posted 8/15/2013 5:55 AM (#657483 - in reply to #657293)
Subject: RE: Any Advice??

Trigger them before you get to the point of figure 8's. If you are moving a lot of fish but they aren't eating that means you have them interested. You really shouldn't get a ton of follows. Change your retreive up and see what happens. Not sure how you are working the bait but if it is slower, sweeping pulls or just a straight retrieve go to a retrieve that has you jerk the bait every so often.

I use to get a ton of follows when I first started throwing dawgs many years ago. It wasn't until I started ripping them that the fish would eat. My retrieve consisted of a slow steady reel with a jerk every so often. Almost every fish ate right after the jerk.

If you are already jerking the bait, but am not pausing at all start adding pauses in. I will just stop reeling, or after a jerk will let the bait drop a bit. This tends to trigger fish that are a bit gun-shy as they have been pressured a lot and have seen rubber a time or two.
vegas492
Posted 8/15/2013 8:53 AM (#657516 - in reply to #657293)

Good advice from the prior posts.
I'll go a little more of the beaten path....
If you are moving them on soft plastics like bulldogs, throw them something a little different. Maybe a Medussa? Maybe an Eel? Maybe a Tube? Something very similar, but different. Maybe those fish are "conditioned" to dawgs. You may even want to try a Shallow Invader/hybrid kind of bait. I'm never without a Heli-Dawg in my boat either. Sometimes one little change can make the difference.

And if you are still getting only follows, have another rod rigged up with a pitch back bait. Something different like maybe a large walk the dog style bait. Get a follow, then put that rod down, grab the other and pitch the same spot a few times with the topwater and see if that'll get 'em to eat.

Good luck to you and let us know if anything helps!
DonPursch
Posted 8/15/2013 11:04 AM (#657539 - in reply to #657293)
Subject: RE: Any Advice??

Your aggressiveness at boat side and speed are the trigger its like a cat and a yarn ball and you have the long end and the cat is just sitting there but if you move it steady the cat gets more excited and chases it the fish does the same thing at boat Sid if you know what I mean all the best to you and all ways calm waters to you