Jerk baits boat side
Apex
Posted 8/13/2013 9:30 PM (#657268)
Subject: Jerk baits boat side

Hey to all you old timers! I have been moving a lot of fish on jerk baits but can't seem to seal the deal, any advise for boat side tactics?
Bucky_Musky
Posted 8/13/2013 9:45 PM (#657272 - in reply to #657268)
Subject: Re: Jerk baits boat side

There were some great videos posted by another user last week in one of the forums here that show the users getting fish after fish on working jerks & topwaters in their 8s. Worth a look.
Posted 8/15/2013 12:46 PM (#657555 - in reply to #657268)
Subject: RE: Jerk baits boat side

Rather than do a figure 8, draw a box in the water, square off he corners will get some good action out of your lure boatside.
NPike_Guy
Posted 8/15/2013 5:58 PM (#657609 - in reply to #657268)

Another thing to consider is the action of your bait during the retrieve. I generally like jerkbaits because I don't get a lot of lookers/followers. Try mixing it up on the retrieve, I've found that the "stupider" the bait looks coming in the more strikes I seem to get.
Apex
Posted 8/15/2013 8:28 PM (#657636 - in reply to #657268)

Thanks, all the fish are about to open thier mouths, ready to eat and its like they see something's wrong? Been using wood jerk baits like Suicks and Bobbie baits
Jeremy
Posted 8/15/2013 9:09 PM (#657647 - in reply to #657268)

Apex....read Sorgy's post on the "Beginner fig. 8's" a few days ago.... Copy/paste but the entire topic is worth your time!

"Several things have helped me out with hits on figure 8's or ovals at the boat.

1) Long rod- I have a Okuma 9'3" XH
2) double bladed bucktails
3) reel with horsepower- Saltist 20, 30, or any strong reel.

Steps for me
1-keep a fairly fast (daytime) retrieve and at the fist sign of a follow shift into a higher gear- the Saltist 30 let my baits lunge forward like 4 feet and many times that trips a trigger in the fish to close on the bait.
2- as the speed is kicked in I also start to lower the rod tip into the water to get the fish looking at something other than the sky or my ugly face.
3- I try to transition into a smooth curve into the 8-coming in deeper near the boat and high on the outside turn. The trick is to keep the blades moving faster or playing keep away from the fish. Many times if you have a very fast and smooth transition into the turn the hit will come on the high outside corner. Then it is fast on the straight away and slowed a little in the turn. ( This is where the XH rod comes into play- too soft and you get very tired doing good 8's- Too stiff of a rod and you sacrifice some casting ability).

At night the transition into the turns are even more important.

there are some other thing that guy's are doing with wind on leaders that will help with the nice smooth boat side moves.

You also need to fish with confidence at all times. You need to pay attention and in the case of the big MN fish they always come in when you glance at your locator, foot pedal or turn to see where you are. Never fails.

I don't fish as hardcore as many- but these tips have helped me convert many more fish at boat side. 50% of my fish now come at boat side.

Jeremy Johnson from Whispering Winds on Lake Vermilion shared some of these tips with me and they have helped me convert more of those boat side fish. My largest to date came on a boat side strike.

Good Luck

Steve"

I learned a good bit from it myself. Might help you relate!

Jeremy. -(not the Jeremy Johnson mentioned).

Edited by Jeremy 8/15/2013 9:12 PM
Apex
Posted 8/17/2013 8:47 PM (#657995 - in reply to #657268)

Thanks I fish with Jeremy's buddy Ryan, not to be rude but thanks for the advise on a how to figure 8.
HomeTime
Posted 8/18/2013 8:30 PM (#658103 - in reply to #657268)

I tend to always dead stick every return about 10ft from the boat, and twitch it ever so slightly. I custom weight my suicks to suspend.... It is deadly for a suick to sit 8ft down for 20 seconds and barly move
AndrewR
Posted 8/19/2013 12:47 AM (#658131 - in reply to #657268)
Subject: RE: Jerk baits boat side

Rather than a traditional figure-8, try drawing huge circles with the lure. I was on Lake of the Woods a week and a half ago and the circle was the only way I could convert the boatside strike with a suick. The fish in there are weird, but try to experiment in order to accommodate to the weirdness of any muskie.