top raider modification?
adubs
Posted 8/11/2013 5:46 PM (#656836)
Subject: top raider modification?

I just got back from a week on LOTW in SAB bay (mylies) We had a good week but could have had an amazing week (especially myself). I had 4 fish hooked up on a top raider that got off after 4-5 cranks of the reel. I waited until I felt pressure and set the hooks solid and kept the rod loaded on all of them and the bait simply came out. I was obviously frustrated but kept throwing it because it was producing lots of follows and eats or boils. I only boated one fish all week on it and it was literally as I was calling the action for my brother as he was running a figure 8 boat side, my rod loaded and I set the hooks on a lil' 36". My question is are there any modifications to use on the back treble to increase the hooking percentage on this bait? The hooks were sharp and sharpened during the week with the same results. I'm not sure if its just this type of prop surface bait with the prop in the back that gets in the way while setting the hook and getting them to drive in or what? Any thoughts or feedback about the low hookup percentage I experienced would be appreciated.

Thanks,

adubs
Riverrat351
Posted 8/11/2013 5:54 PM (#656837 - in reply to #656836)
Subject: RE: top raider modification?

I think a Topraider is the best hooking musky bait out there... I'll catch 10-15 to every 1 lost. Knock on wood!
Maybe it was the way the drag was set, light rod, when you set, I'm not sure why you'd have problems with this bait, honest.
adubs
Posted 8/11/2013 7:08 PM (#656845 - in reply to #656837)

7'6 TI xxh with drag locked down as tight as it gets...wasn't a drag issue or soft rod
muskie! nut
Posted 8/11/2013 7:14 PM (#656847 - in reply to #656836)
Subject: Re: top raider modification?

I always change out the tiny 5/0 hooks and put 7/0 on them for the extra gap they provide Remember the rear hook is always two tines down and one up.
jlong
Posted 8/12/2013 10:58 AM (#656935 - in reply to #656845)

adubs - 8/11/2013 7:08 PM 7'6 TI xxh with drag locked down as tight as it gets...wasn't a drag issue or soft rod

This would not be my first choice for throwing topwaters.  Too short and stiff... making it difficult to prevent slack line.

When fish head-hunt the topraider it is a great hooking lure.  When they blow up on the tail... they often get snoot hooked... and when that happens a large gap hook and a long rod with a soft tip can be  your best friend.  You don't need to worry about buring the hooks in that case... as all you have to work with are skin and bone.  Think grappling hook.

As for modifications... I have not had much success upsizing the tail hook... but I have had success swapping out the front hook.

Good luck.

MD75
Posted 8/12/2013 3:10 PM (#656989 - in reply to #656836)
Subject: Re: top raider modification?

That sucks that you missed those fish, but sounds like a great trip regardless...a couple things to think about:

1. Are your hooks razor sharp?
2. As was mentioned a longer rod with more flex in it can help with keeping a fish pinned.
3. Don't lock down your drag.
4. Sometimes they just get off...nothing you could've done.

You'll get'em next time!