What to use for a leader on Jerkbait or Glider
superstockbigblock
Posted 8/10/2013 9:10 PM (#656744)
Subject: What to use for a leader on Jerkbait or Glider

What do you use or what have you tried to get the best action on a jerkbait or glider? I watched a video on youtube and they used wire wound to the eye in the lure and looped the other end and tied straight to it. What size wire and what brand have you had the best luck with? Looking for some ideas on how to get a the best performance out of a phantom, or weagle. Any help is appreciated, thanks for reading.
muskie! nut
Posted 8/10/2013 9:28 PM (#656746 - in reply to #656744)
Subject: Re: What to use for a leader on Jerkbait or Glider

Most folks use 174lb test that is .029 in diameter. They work best with a split ring on the bait and double looped single strand wire leader. No snap or swivels. You can use heavier and I have used wire up to .035 diameter and that work good too, but wouldn't go over that. I use this set up for all side-to-side baits (both jerks or topwaters) and all the dive and rise jerks. I have a rod set up just for those baits.
superstockbigblock
Posted 8/12/2013 2:22 AM (#656881 - in reply to #656744)

Thanks for the reply I ordered some leader material, we'll see how it works. I was using a single strand with a barrel swivel and a stay-lok.
CU301DSV
Posted 8/13/2013 3:54 AM (#657088 - in reply to #656744)

I've been using Huskie Muskie jerk bait leaders for the last couple years now. I have them made for me with no snap and no swivel. Pretty sure you can buy them this way now? Before that I used the heavier Stringease leaders with snaps and swivels but found them to only work with certain lures. The lighter wire Huskie Muskie leaders allow your bait to move more freely. Definitely they don't last as long, I could post pics of what one fish can do to them but I see way more fish now using them.
DH.Pare
Posted 8/13/2013 11:33 AM (#657146 - in reply to #657088)

Hi Gerard,
Do you feel that wire over .035 dia. is to heavy? How long do you make your leaders?
David
anzomcik
Posted 8/13/2013 12:08 PM (#657155 - in reply to #656744)

I use to use solid wire for jerks and gliders, but it was discuraging when a fish would bend and kink it up. I would worrie about how many times you can straiten it before it breaks.

The last several years I use a standard fluro leaders i make out of 100#. Like every leeader you need to check it after a fish. I really like how they have held up and doesnt hinder the action.