Lowrance LCX 27c - good enough?
jaultman
Posted 8/9/2013 8:04 AM (#656429)
Subject: Lowrance LCX 27c - good enough?

Does anyone use this sonar/chart unit? I can buy a used one from a stranger for $300. Assuming it works, is it worth it? It would definitely be an upgrade from my current Eagle unit. I think the 7" display is plenty for me. I understand it has some built-in charts but also can use chips for better data.

Just wondering if anyone has used it. Thanks for sharing any info.
Skyblaster
Posted 8/9/2013 8:26 AM (#656439 - in reply to #656429)
Subject: Re: Lowrance LCX 27c - good enough?

I use one on the bow of my boat and it will suffice. It has a little slower processor than say the HDS series but will certainly be a night and day upgrade from your Eagle. Remember, it will require an external antena, just something to consider if one isn't included in the price.
jaultman
Posted 8/9/2013 10:49 AM (#656498 - in reply to #656439)

Great, thanks for the notice on the puck GPS.

Something I've noticed with Lowrance - and my handheld Garmin has the same issue - when moving very slowly, say under 0.8 mph, the GPS totally loses track of me. It will show the direction I'm pointing, but it will show that I am not moving, when in fact I am, for up to 10 minutes, then suddenly my position icon will move 100 yards to where I'm actually at.

Do you have that issue with your LCX?
Lundbob
Posted 8/9/2013 12:24 PM (#656533 - in reply to #656429)
Subject: RE: Lowrance LCX 27c - good enough?

I've had my 27c for probably 7 years now. It's been rock solid. Just make sure to set your depth setting to shallow water. It's somewhere in the systems settings.

Also note that you cannot use modern map chips as the older lowrance units can only read 1GB memory chips. All the newer chips are on bigger cards and it will not read them.

The best example i can give you is the Lake of the Woods map. Last year i bought a Lakemaster chip for my trip up there and it would not read it. After a couple phone calls and investigating i found out this issue. The chip that was in the stores by then was version 4. The 27c will only read up to version 3. I got lucky and went back to the local store and found a version 3 still in stock and it worked.

The maps preloaded are pretty much worthless.

If you can find the older chips it's a great unit. I have no reason to update until it breaks.
Skyblaster
Posted 8/9/2013 12:38 PM (#656539 - in reply to #656429)

Yes, I have that problem too but generally it will catch up in a minute or maybe two at the most, and as you said it is when traveling very slow. Don't get me wrong, it is a great set up and I certainly don't intend on upgrading at this time.

I will second Lundbob in that the maps included are a joke. Where are you located? I have a 2007 MN Lakemaster Map that I took out of mine that I would sell for cheap if you are interested. The only downside of the 2007 is you can't see the shallow water shading like on the new chips but the contour lines are still present.
danmuskyman
Posted 8/10/2013 3:10 PM (#656708 - in reply to #656429)

I ran a lcx-26HD for a couple years and loved it! i have an Elite 7 now and its a little clearer but i actually liked the lcx better. it loaded maps faster i think and showed more detail on the same chip. id say you would be happy with the lcx 27
whynot
Posted 8/12/2013 9:50 AM (#656924 - in reply to #656429)

I run a 27c and a 520c, no issues at all with mine...knock on wood. i know others who had/have 27c's that are slower. i don't know if that has to do with them being earlier models with slower processors or what, but i'd put whatever chip you're going to be using in there and test it before I bought it.
jaultman
Posted 8/12/2013 11:17 AM (#656939 - in reply to #656539)

Thank you all!

Skyblaster, I may want that chip. I'll shoot you a PM if I get the unit, which would be soon. I'm in Grand Rapids, MN... Sometimes I make it down to the metro area.
Dansken
Posted 8/12/2013 12:43 PM (#656961 - in reply to #656498)

jaultman - 8/9/2013 10:49 AM

Great, thanks for the notice on the puck GPS.

Something I've noticed with Lowrance - and my handheld Garmin has the same issue - when moving very slowly, say under 0.8 mph, the GPS totally loses track of me. It will show the direction I'm pointing, but it will show that I am not moving, when in fact I am, for up to 10 minutes, then suddenly my position icon will move 100 yards to where I'm actually at.

Do you have that issue with your LCX?

Make sure "Pinning" is off. I had the same problem with an older Lowrance unit, it should run at approx 0.5 knots to "see" any speed and movement on the plotter, but with pinning off it works with the slowest speed. Unfortunately I don't know the new menu setups, so I can't tell you where you do it.