horseshoe chain richmond,mn
loudogg
Posted 8/5/2013 10:32 PM (#655675)
Subject: horseshoe chain richmond,mn

my parents just bought a cabin on the chain this spring. the mn dnr just started stocking muskies in the chain in the fall of 2011. (1000 fingerlings and around 150 adult fish)i know it will be a long time until it will be fishable for muskies, but i have a couple questions for everyone. how long do you think it will take for them to grow to a catchable size and what is everyone thinking of how good this chain will be for their habitat. i cant wait to be able to not have to make a day or weekend of fishing, i can just go out for a couple of hours and fish and not have to trailer anywhere or load up the boat everytime i want to go muskie hunting. also, does anyone have any luck out there for anything other species than catfish? you catch them fishing for everything. thanks guys
carl
Posted 8/5/2013 10:45 PM (#655678 - in reply to #655675)
Subject: Re: horseshoe chain richmond,mn

I used to go there to my buddies cabin when we were young. We always did well on bass, pike and crappie. and catfish obviously. Actually, my buddies dad caught a 24" muskie there this year so they must be surviving ok.
Pedro
Posted 8/5/2013 11:27 PM (#655682 - in reply to #655675)
Subject: Re: horseshoe chain richmond,mn

Not positive. But I would think in about 8 more years your going to have those first stocked fish being in that 50" range.
Posted 8/6/2013 7:39 AM (#655700 - in reply to #655675)
Subject: RE: horseshoe chain richmond,mn

8 to 11 years for first 50. 3 to 4 years for 30s to start showing in numbers. Too bad the lake can't be left alone for 10-12 years before musky fishing started, that would really pump the numbers of big fish! Fortunately I was around to fish stupid fish from newly stocked lakes in the 80s in the late 90s and those fish were big, dumb, and easy to catch. Crazy good fishing. In my opinion the newer stocked lakes get pounded long before the fish have the chance to get big in masses and still haven't learned lure avoidance. I sure miss the late 90s catching skis that hadn't seen a musky lure in the 10 to 15 years of their lives.