Help for a beginner
BigRedHair
Posted 8/5/2013 7:57 PM (#655637)
Subject: Help for a beginner

Hey guys,
I just heard about this site from a friend who musky fishes a lot, and I figure it's a good place to go for solid advice. I've fished and caught muskie in the past, but I was always with older guys (I'm only 21) who had been doing it for a long time and basically did everything for me other than the actual fishing part. I'm borrowing my dad's truck for a couple weeks so I plan on getting out on Leech Lake in MN as much as I can this week, and I want to be as prepared as possible. I've already got a great rod and reel combo, and I have some of what appear to be the most popular lures (suick, shallow raider, double cowgirl), and I also have a net big enough to accomodate all but the biggest muskies. I'm just wondering what I should get to make the landing and hook removing process go as smooth as possible. Any suggestions on what to get for hook removal? I'm also aware that I should get a couple more lures, but finances are a bit tight at the moment. I plan on fishing Pelican Reef pretty hard, but I was wondering if there are any other Leech Lake fisherman on here who could give me tips on other places to go as well.

Thanks in advance!
muskyhunter47
Posted 8/5/2013 8:07 PM (#655643 - in reply to #655637)
Subject: Re: Help for a beginner

get your self a long pair of needle nose pliers good pair of hook cutters glove.
ive done good in portage bay 10 inch jakes
muskellunged
Posted 8/5/2013 8:13 PM (#655645 - in reply to #655637)

Jaw spreaders, 10 inch needle nose pliers, hookcutters, camera w/timer and tripod. The rest is practice. Good luck!
Propster
Posted 8/5/2013 9:41 PM (#655664 - in reply to #655637)

Do yourself a favor, double up on the Baker jaw spreaders (the 10") and tape them together. Singles just have never held for us on bigger fish. Lots to fish on Pelican - West Bar, North Bar, Red Rock, not to far to Moakie. Then there's Submarine and Annex, Sucker Bay, Etc. Try em all. Rocks esp if bright and windy. I'd try blades and keep 'em moving. Do good figure 8's or at least an L turn after every cast. With the clearer water you'll see em coming. Stay off the structure and pick it apart. Good luck!
Ranger
Posted 8/7/2013 2:29 AM (#655886 - in reply to #655637)

Have a throw-back rod ready for the follows that don't bite, especially the deep follows that most folks never see because they are looking right behind the bait near the surface and not 8' deep. I use a jig/creature to thow back into the water as soon as a fish fails to hit the 8, or if I see a tanker doing a lazy follow 6-10' below my bait. Again, most people don't see the largest fish that follow because those big lazy gals are much deeper than folks are looking.

ps - instead of a jig/creature, try a 4-6" sucker minnow hooked thru the top lip on an Earie Deary where you have replaced that single hook with a stout treble. Keep the sucker minnow hooked and in an over-O2'ed cooler of water that also contains some ice cubes.
BigRedHair
Posted 8/12/2013 8:38 PM (#657049 - in reply to #655637)

Thanks guys, just finally got my boat up and running today, getting out for about 5 hours tomorrow night after work as long as everything goes as planned! Sounds like the muskie bit has really picked up on Leech this week so I'm hoping to land at least one at some point this week!