Solo musky fishing
flyingfish8604
Posted 8/1/2013 9:04 PM (#655038)
Subject: Solo musky fishing

In a few weeks, my wife (and fishing partner) is going out of town. I'm am going to be on my day if musky fishing without a partner. Just wondering if anyone has any tips to make the day a little more successful, especially if I hook up.

Thanks for the advice,
Eric
black_dawg
Posted 8/1/2013 9:22 PM (#655046 - in reply to #655038)
Subject: Re: Solo musky fishing

Have everything ready to go at the boat landing before you even make a cast. Net extended and locked in. Release tools out and accessible. Keep the boat free of clutter. Put lures away or out of your fishing area, don't leave other rods laying around, or hanging over the side of the boat. I also tend to fight my fish a little bit longer. I want them worn out before i attempt to net them, and especially once i have them in the net and start removing hooks. When netting the fish, I put the hoop of the net under water, and rest the shaft of the net on the gunnel, i keep my rod in my left hand and start bringing the fish over the net. When the fish is at least half way over the hoop, I just push down on the handle and raise the net to the fish. I have yet to loose a fish at the net. Once you do get a fish in the bag, I always set my tackle box on the net handle too. It keeps the net from going over board if the fish thrashes and I'm not right there. I fish alone 90% of the time. My biggest caution is always while unhooking fish. I never wrap the line around my hand, or get too close to the hooks. Take your time and be careful!
ulbian
Posted 8/1/2013 9:28 PM (#655048 - in reply to #655046)

Not sure if I showed you this or not Eric, but in my boat I have a loop tied with baler twine that I can slide my net into if I get a fish. That way you don't have to wrestle with the net when unhooking a fish. Just slide it in that loop and you have both hands free.

It's rare that I'll net a fish when fishing solo. Just "land" it on the side where my release tools are tied to the gunnel and quickly cut/remove hooks and let them swim away. I will net them if popping hooks or cutting them is going to be a little trickier. Then the trick is if that bait gets hung up on the top of the net and you can't keep the fish's head in the water. Simple enough. I have long enough string on a pliers that I can loop that through the net and if the net has to go in the water it is still attached to the boat.
flyingfish8604
Posted 8/1/2013 9:36 PM (#655051 - in reply to #655048)

Thanks guys! I know my wife and I ALWAYS keep the essential tools in the same place. We got into that habit because we night fish too. When I fished with you, you did show me the loop. I think I'm going to invest in a coupe extra bungee cords to put around the seat pedestals so I don't have to worry about the net while I regroup before releasing the fish.
oddball
Posted 8/1/2013 9:49 PM (#655055 - in reply to #655038)

I fish alone 99% of the time black dawgs advice is dead on......
BenR
Posted 8/1/2013 10:32 PM (#655060 - in reply to #655038)

I fish alone quite a bit and am pretty relaxed about it. I pinch barbs, then the rest is up to you. Main thing is go out, relax, enjoy the outdoors and have fun. BR
flyingfish8604
Posted 8/1/2013 10:42 PM (#655061 - in reply to #655060)

This coming Sunday, I am going to be fishing, mostly for pike and bass, but I may have to hit a few spots for muskies. I am going to be fishing with my best friend, who only fishes a few times a year. Am I better off netting the fish alone, or should I let him give it a go? I guess my wife and I are just so comfortable in the boat with each other that it is a little nerve wracking trying to go alone or with someone with little experience. Thanks again for all your help!
ulbian
Posted 8/2/2013 12:15 AM (#655077 - in reply to #655038)

You're starting to over think things. Yeah, yeah...I know. You spent a few hours in my boat listening to my wacky theories on things so hearing me say that must make you chuckle.

The point is that if you get a fish by yourself it is easy to let your mind go in every single direction imaginable. Take a step back and stay focused on the bigger picture. Give your buddy a chance to net one if you hook into a fish. It's a heck of an impressionable moment when a greenhorn is involved in the release of a muskie if they've had no prior experience with them. They feel like they are part of the process and might say; "hey, that was pretty cool....and I was part of it.....awesome!" You may help him catch the bug but more importantly he'll see that you let a fish go that he now has a chance to catch himself.

If he botches a net job so be it. There are so many more important things in life than getting wound up over a messed up net job. How is he going to get experience otherwise? I bet all of us wiped out a few times when we were trying to learn how to ride a bike...and we lived.
flyingfish8604
Posted 8/2/2013 1:08 AM (#655079 - in reply to #655077)

I think over thinking is one of the many downfalls for most musky anglers. In a sport where the hours per reward is so high, it becomes easy, especially for those of us who don't have tons of experience or fish under our belt. I know there are so many other things to worry about than a lost fish or two. Thank you everyone for all your input. I will try to apply it, and hopefully learn to fish with newbies and alone.
esox911
Posted 8/2/2013 5:24 AM (#655082 - in reply to #655079)

I fish alone quite a bit----All good suggestions here---think about what tools you are going to need before hand and put them within reach. Keep the clutter down and BE SO VERY CAREFULL when unhooking a fish---This is danger time when you are alone----Also PICS are tough by yourself. If using camera make sure tri pod or other thinks are set up and ready to go before you throw that first cast
Steve Van Lieshout
Posted 8/2/2013 7:03 AM (#655089 - in reply to #655038)

Connect a loop of wire to the boat (or tackle box) so that you can slide the net handle into the loop while the net bag hangs in the water holding your fish. This allows you to work on the hook removal without having to deal with supporting the net.
The net should be more or less horizontal or slightly pitched down toward the handle. The only weight that is supported is that of the rim and bag. The fish, if it is in the water, is totally supported by the water.
Mojo1269
Posted 8/2/2013 7:11 AM (#655090 - in reply to #655038)

Courtesy of Bob "Hollywood" Turgeon; can't take credit for this... It works awesome

Take a Skate Lace and lash it to the handle of your net. When you get a fish in the bag wrap the lace around the boat cleat on the opposite side with the handle across your bow. The net is not going anywhere and you can proces the fish without worrying about anything other than the fish even in rough conditions...

Edited by Mojo1269 8/2/2013 7:12 AM
FISHFINDER101
Posted 8/2/2013 9:00 AM (#655105 - in reply to #655077)

I recently took a freind who has never musky fished out last wednesday. We have gone hunting and worked together plenty before, but never fishing. I assumed he had a handle on things, he was casting great with my baitcaster, working lures great. Things were going well until I hooked into a musky. I yelled musky on grab the net. Brought the musky up to the boat and looked over for the net but he didnt have it ready, I said drop my pole grab the net. he was trying to organize the boat and put everything away while i was fighting it. By time he had the net, bam fish gone. I fish by myself 90% of the time. I had things set up the way I always do except the net. I fish out of a 12ft tuffy and once you add all my tackle, net and another person it gets cramped. I failed to go over what we do exaclty if we hook into a fish. I'm pretty sure with all the excitment he's got the musky bug now though.
jakejusa
Posted 8/2/2013 10:07 AM (#655116 - in reply to #655038)
Subject: RE: Solo musky fishing

I fish out of a bass boat. I take a few things out when by myself now that I am older and wiser (no comments or support needed on that, I'm married, get enough at home) I took some rope and made loops I throw one end into the rod lockers which leaves the loop outside. I use that to hold the net handle freeing both hands, works slick. I also take all the tools and put them in one box that I keep on the front deck handy. The last thing I do is take my rope ladder and tie it off to the back cleat. If I do go over I can climb back in without having to shimmy the motor. The ladder is more of a fall thing but I am training myself by doing that now when alone. I then strap it into the back rod tie down when running or going down the road. Camera part...I don't even bother unless she's a big girl and then if no boats are around to help, I shoot the best I can with her in the net (showing the back & then girth). All of it works solo, loading the bass boat is most likely the worst part no one to drive the trailer out while you keep the boat pegged.
hozeman
Posted 8/2/2013 2:01 PM (#655168 - in reply to #655038)

Lots of great tips and advice from everybody. I fish alone most of the time.I have released some nice fish without ever getting a photo for the trophy book, including my largest Tiger. But those experiences will always be in my memory. A couple of years ago while trolling at night I caught and released a heavy 48 incher and a couple hours later a 40 . That was on a deep clear lake with lots of boat traffic that had skunked me until that night, no pics , just memories. Most of all be careful , the last thing you want is to be hooked on a lure that is hooked to a thrashing fish and no one to help you. Good luck.
Posted 8/2/2013 5:10 PM (#655203 - in reply to #655038)

I would consider running the trolling motor only on pulse. If you set it on continuous and do fall out, the boat will continue on without you.
Steve Van Lieshout
Posted 8/2/2013 5:20 PM (#655205 - in reply to #655038)

There have been some great responses to your post request.
To nearly guarantee success in connecting with muskies, leave your tackle box on top of the landing net with the handle not extended, with the net bag solidly tangled into boat cleats!
The only way improve to your odds beyond this is to take someone who has never fished before, or use ultralight equipment!

Edited by Steve Van Lieshout 8/2/2013 5:21 PM
krunchbait
Posted 8/2/2013 6:24 PM (#655209 - in reply to #655038)

AHH, Nuts! (nets) for a party of one.
Experience tells me if you bring your landing net, chances are you won't touch it unless its gotten in your way.
So, no matter what the conditions are and you're unusually anxious to get out there, forget it or intentionally leave it behind, but probably wear an ADULT DIAPER because that's when you'll make history! (My first monster fish)...
flyingfish8604
Posted 8/2/2013 6:30 PM (#655210 - in reply to #655038)

I know all about that! In 2010, my brother and I were fishing, and had a sucker in tow. The whole weekend we fished, it rained, and with a half hour to spare, my brother ended up with a 36"er. BUT, my brother had half his stuff in the bag of the net, including the but if the sucker rod. I grabbed the net, which moved the rod, and snapped it off on the boat cleat. Needless to say, that situation doesn't happen any more. Thanks again for all the advice. Hopefully I will be able to stick a fish or two alone, and prove to myself that I can do it, and just make it fun.
black_dawg
Posted 8/2/2013 9:44 PM (#655224 - in reply to #655038)

Concentrate on getting your buddy a fish! Then he wont jack up a net job! Just teach him before hand what needs to happen when netting a fish. Remember when fishing alone, take it one step at a time. Hook the fish. Fight the fish. When said fish is tired, then concentrate on getting the net (keep your rod tip high while doing this, a tired fish normally comes to the surface, if it panics while your not looking, it will usually try to dive instead of jump), then bring the fish to the net. Deep breath, hoot an holler, then calm yourself. Take your time unhooking the fish so it can recover while in the net. Talk to her and tell her it will be all right, your just going to let her go, and the more she panics the worst it will be.
Posted 8/3/2013 5:26 AM (#655241 - in reply to #655038)

Watch a bucher video.
DRPEPIN
Posted 8/3/2013 8:42 PM (#655335 - in reply to #655038)

Wear a pfd.