Canada
MuskieFever
Posted 7/29/2013 10:02 AM (#654208)
Subject: Canada

Do you need a passport to get into Canada? I may be going to LOTW soon but I don't have a passport.. Would a birth certificate and license work? Could someone direct me to how I could find out? Thanks.
MUSKYLUND1
Posted 7/29/2013 10:11 AM (#654209 - in reply to #654208)
Subject: RE: Canada

I'm not completely sure if you need a passport to enter Canada by car, but you do need one to re-enter the US so you better have one. The rule requiring a passport was implemented a few years ago as part of the increased border security following 9/11. You can get a regular passport or a passport card for trips between US and Canada. If you are going anywhere else overseas you will probably need a regular passport.
MuskieFever
Posted 7/29/2013 10:19 AM (#654212 - in reply to #654208)
Subject: Re: Canada

Thanks. I'm guessing it would take longer than the 10th of August to get one?
Paramuskyhunter
Posted 7/29/2013 10:33 AM (#654216 - in reply to #654208)

you can pay extra to have it rushed
Mr Musky
Posted 7/29/2013 11:25 AM (#654226 - in reply to #654208)

Yes you need a passport to enter both Canada and the U.S. Highly doubt you'll get one that soon though.
Propster
Posted 7/29/2013 1:32 PM (#654250 - in reply to #654208)

If driving you actually only need a passport card. 4-6 week normal, they say 2-3 weeks rush service. Get on the horn with them today. It's touch and go whether you will receive in time.
VonBraun
Posted 7/29/2013 1:49 PM (#654255 - in reply to #654208)

You do not need a passport to get into canada or back into the US but you do need at least a passport card which is cheaper but if you have any plans on ever flying internationally, the passport card will not work so most people just get a full passport. The U.S. Passport Card can only be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book.
Musky Brian
Posted 7/29/2013 3:21 PM (#654275 - in reply to #654255)

get the card as stated above....if you get in there in the next day or two you should be able to get it in time
Nershi
Posted 7/29/2013 3:57 PM (#654287 - in reply to #654208)

I went in March to ice fish and I called ahead because I was not able to get a passport in time. YOU DO NOT need one to enter canada. You do need your original birth certificate and an ID. US side said you really do not need it but they suggested I apply for it and bring a copy of my passport application with me. I would call to be sure but unless they have changed it in the last 4 months or so you are good to go. Do a search and you can find numbers for the customs offices of both sides. If you can't find the number call the resort you are going to and they should have them.

Although both sides said I do not need one they both suggested getting one to make things easier on you and us.
MuskieFever
Posted 7/29/2013 8:21 PM (#654356 - in reply to #654287)

Nershi - 7/29/2013 3:57 PM

I went in March to ice fish and I called ahead because I was not able to get a passport in time. YOU DO NOT need one to enter canada. You do need your original birth certificate and an ID. US side said you really do not need it but they suggested I apply for it and bring a copy of my passport application with me. I would call to be sure but unless they have changed it in the last 4 months or so you are good to go. Do a search and you can find numbers for the customs offices of both sides. If you can't find the number call the resort you are going to and they should have them.

Although both sides said I do not need one they both suggested getting one to make things easier on you and us.

Thanks for the advice, I didn't really know if there was a number so i'll give em a call.
Propster
Posted 7/29/2013 9:11 PM (#654376 - in reply to #654208)

Here's a link with many details. There's an FAQ near the bottom that will answer a lot of specifics, including processing centers bear you. They don't/won't ship the cards back to you overnite. You're still touch and go even if it is your first time applying and have to go in person, which it sounds like you do. I'd get in there tomorrow if you're serious about going when you say.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html
Nershi
Posted 7/30/2013 8:57 AM (#654454 - in reply to #654376)

Propster - 7/29/2013 9:11 PM

Here's a link with many details.

I searched that site from top to bottom when I went and it did not give me the information I needed to know. Like I said call the customs office where you will be crossing. Bottom line is you can go without a passport or passport card. Unless things have changed again recently. Good luck and post some pics after your trip.
Musky Brian
Posted 7/30/2013 12:29 PM (#654497 - in reply to #654454)

Nershi - 7/30/2013 8:57 AM

Propster - 7/29/2013 9:11 PM

Here's a link with many details.

Bottom line is you can go without a passport or passport card. .

where did you cross the border and how many times have you crossed it?

I have been crossing 3-4 times a year since the law changed and the very first words that come out of their mouths on both sides of the border are " passports please."

They ask in Canada because they know you are supposed to have it on your way back. Will they just leave you in Canada and not let you come back into your own country if you do not have one? I suppose not, but I would expect it to be a major unneeded hassle. Would not advise anyone not to get one
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 7/31/2013 1:31 PM (#654770 - in reply to #654497)

You can get passports in record time, but it will require a letter/email from your hosts saying you have a reservations for whatever dates, what the group name is under, deposit received, etc, etc.

I have done this several times the last few years and it has always helped people get passports within a few days.

Propster
Posted 7/31/2013 4:02 PM (#654805 - in reply to #654208)

And I would certainly not take the advice of the person who says you don't need one. That's not been my experience and I was just there a week ago.
sprigpintail
Posted 7/31/2013 11:01 PM (#654875 - in reply to #654208)

I just got back LOTW. Four days before I could not find my passport. I looked it up on the web, Travel.state.gov, and called the passport agency. You will get the automatied answer. Press 0 to talk to an agent.

I printed off the paper work at home, went to the local post office and got a picture and drove an hour to Minneapolis to the Federal Building. Everything was simple. I could have waited three hours to get my passport, but I came back the next day.

You will have to pay extra 60$, but it was worth it.

Good luck!
MuskieFever
Posted 8/1/2013 1:03 AM (#654884 - in reply to #654208)

Funny you mention that because I was informed Wednesday that Minneapolis would take care of me much faster! Setting up an appointment. Thanks for all the info!
Nershi
Posted 8/6/2013 1:39 PM (#655777 - in reply to #654805)

Propster - 7/31/2013 4:02 PM

And I would certainly not take the advice of the person who says you don't need one. That's not been my experience and I was just there a week ago.

Do you think I am just lying to screw the guy? I made it both ways and there were no additional questions when I did not hand them a passport. In case you missed it I advised the guy to call to be sure. I was just trying to help with my HONEST experience about 4 months ago.
Propster
Posted 8/6/2013 2:47 PM (#655788 - in reply to #654208)

Nershi, no I do not think you are lying, nor do I think you want to screw the guy. I just said I wouldn't take your advice. Seems you were a special case for some reason, and I wouldn't rely on your one-time experience as if it were the gospel, especially when they print it in plain English, and I'm sure other languages :), that one is required to re-enter the US.
beaglerr
Posted 8/6/2013 5:01 PM (#655814 - in reply to #654208)

they will allow you back home with out your passport .Been there.You will not be a man with no country
Nershi
Posted 8/6/2013 7:01 PM (#655830 - in reply to #655788)

Propster - 8/6/2013 2:47 PM

Nershi, no I do not think you are lying, nor do I think you want to screw the guy. I just said I wouldn't take your advice. Seems you were a special case for some reason, and I wouldn't rely on your one-time experience as if it were the gospel, especially when they print it in plain English, and I'm sure other languages :), that one is required to re-enter the US.

I am curious where is that printed? I couldn't find it and when I called US customs they told me they are not sure where people get this from. The lady told me we are here to help US citizens return to the country and screen non citizens from entry. She told me if you are a US citizen you can get back in with no form of identification, it just takes longer. Anyways I don't want to beat a dead horse. Just got a little offended when folks were implying I was giving false info when I just went. It was no special case or exception either.