In between reel
dami0101
Posted 7/26/2013 3:13 PM (#653772)
Subject: In between reel

Currently I have a Saltist Levelwind STTLW20H-C and a Calcutta 400 B. I'm looking for a reel that could fit between these for both gear ratio and line retrieval, after 4 hours of burning bucktails on the saltist my arms get sore but the calcutta has less pickup per crank. I liked the NACL HS at 30" per crank but it has a higher gear ratio then the saltist so I'm thinking it will probably end up being more work and not accomplish what I'm looking for. Any thoughts?
FAT-SKI
Posted 7/26/2013 3:36 PM (#653784 - in reply to #653772)
Subject: RE: In between reel

Don't take this the wrong way. but I don't think your fatigue issues are because the reel isin't good enough. I think it is your conditioning. If you are new to the sport it is going to take a little while to get used to all of the hard pulling baits that you will be throwing. I remember when I thought double showgirls had a lot of pull. Clearly I was wrong. The saltist has great line pickup and powerful gears to make it not so bad on the forearms. There is also different ways you can hold the rod, whether it be by palming the reel, or holding the foregrip that can lead to fatigue... depending (there is the possibility that the reel is to heavy to use on a full trip, or the reel does not balance well with your rod. and that can cause fatigue issues also) but from a strictly blade burning side. I honestly don't think it is the reel. If you are looking for a reel to do all of the work for you. you would probably need to get a TranX. There are not many reels out there, that are going to make your life easy and without fatigue. The TranX is one of them, and maybe a SHimano Trinidad. But both of those you could easily spend $300-500 to get one.

I have a Revo Toro and a Saltist. If I spent 8 hours on the water burning blades all the time I would choose the Saltist EVERY time without question. It makes reeling in blades easy IMHO.

You want a reel with a lower gear ratio. The lower the ratio the more 'power' the reel has and the easier it will feel on your arms. the higher the ratio the more line pick up it has, but generally is less powerfull. the Winch is a nice reel for reeling in blades, but wont bring them in fast. The NACL HS has a high gear ratio, thus high line retrieve. but less power so more fatigue on the arms. You will do more work with that reel then you would on the Winch. The NACL 5.4:1 reel is a great all around reel and would be the one I would get if you were going to get an NACL. That being said the Saltist is more powerful, and has faster line retrieve then any of the NACL lineup

IMHO I think the Saltis is the best reel for what you are trying to do (without buying a TranX or Trinidad) Its one of those things that you just need to get used to doing. ONce you burn blades for 10 straight days, your conditioning will be better and you will be able fish harder then before. its just like going to the gym, you can't expect to bench 400 lbs the first day you join, you have to work at it and condition yourself to be able to get to that point. Everyone starts somewhere.
muskie! nut
Posted 7/26/2013 3:50 PM (#653790 - in reply to #653784)

FAT-SKI - 7/26/2013 3:36 PM
Don't take this the wrong way. but I don't think your fatigue issues are because the reel isin't good enough.

Agreed! The only way you get relief is if you install a motor on the crank handle and have the 12V battery do the cranking for you.
PIKEMASTER
Posted 7/26/2013 3:54 PM (#653793 - in reply to #653772)

dami0101 - 7/26/2013 3:13 PM

Currently I have a Saltist Levelwind STTLW20H-C and a Calcutta 400 B. I'm looking for a reel that could fit between these for both gear ratio and line retrieval, after 4 hours of burning bucktails on the saltist my arms get sore but the calcutta has less pickup per crank. I liked the NACL HS at 30" per crank but it has a higher gear ratio then the saltist so I'm thinking it will probably end up being more work and not accomplish what I'm looking for. Any thoughts?

Sell both reels and buy a TRANX low speed. I think there is one for $350.00 on this site.
FAT-SKI
Posted 7/26/2013 4:37 PM (#653796 - in reply to #653790)

muskie! nut - 7/26/2013 3:50 PM

Don't take this the wrong way. but I don't think your fatigue issues are because the reel isin't good enough.

Agreed! The only way you get relief is if you install a motor on the crank handle and have the 12V battery do the cranking for you.

--
Sounds like you jsut came up with the next big thing in the musky world!
muskie! nut
Posted 7/26/2013 5:45 PM (#653801 - in reply to #653796)

FAT-SKI - 7/26/2013 4:37 PM

muskie! nut - 7/26/2013 3:50 PM

--
Sounds like you jsut came up with the next big thing in the musky world!

We can recycle and used our old 12V trolling motor heads.
dami0101
Posted 7/26/2013 7:13 PM (#653809 - in reply to #653793)

PIKEMASTER - 7/26/2013 3:54 PM

Sell both reels and buy a TRANX low speed. I think there is one for $350.00 on this site. :-)

Haha, yeah, but then that would leave me short a reel.
anzomcik
Posted 7/26/2013 7:20 PM (#653811 - in reply to #653809)

dami0101 - 7/26/2013 8:13 PM

PIKEMASTER - 7/26/2013 3:54 PM

Sell both reels and buy a TRANX low speed. I think there is one for $350.00 on this site. :-)

Haha, yeah, but then that would leave me short a reel.

I found with my tranx I use only one rod for everything, so being short a reel would be a good thing, because you can sell the empty rod and buy more baits!!!

Seriously I run one rod, and its a Tranx HG with a Lt big Dawg. Best combo I ever owned. Yes retail price is close to 1k but how much does 3 good combos cost? I am also not tripping over rods when I fish because I am holding my only casting rod. Soemthing to think about.
btfish
Posted 7/27/2013 8:03 AM (#653865 - in reply to #653772)

I have found that yes the reel makes a difference. Larger after market handles provide more torque and reel help.

However, to me the thing that causes the most muscle stress is figure 8ing 10s. To help this I have gone to a XH rod so the tip doesn't bend much during the figure 8.

So you need to look at the entire setup (reel, handle, & rod)

I run a (Revo Toro 50 HS with a Super Cranker Handle {Rocky Brand I think} on an 8'6" XH St Croix.

That's what has worked for me.