Machined reel body vs. cast alloy
Rookie
Posted 7/24/2013 1:26 PM (#653382)
Subject: Machined reel body vs. cast alloy

I'm trying to pick out a new reel and I have questions about the quality and durability of musky type reels. Is a machined frame better and more consistent in holding up. as opposed to a cast alloy material. Does anyone know if the revo 60 series is cast or machined. I've looked at them an it sure looks cast to me. I've been reading posts and it seems some people are have some issues with that type of reel. I'm not bashing I just want to make the right choice. 400d or revo toro 60. Thanks you guys are awsome source of info
anzomcik
Posted 7/24/2013 5:00 PM (#653408 - in reply to #653382)
Subject: Re: Machined reel body vs. cast alloy

Way over thinking this, Pick a reel you like and that fits your style of fishing that comfortable and go with it.

In my travels I have never seen a reels frame break under fishing conditions, that's why there is a drag, its meant to be the "weak" link. (it will spool out line vs bending or breaking components)

The right choice for you will be considered the wrong choice to about 50% of the people you talk to.
muskie! nut
Posted 7/24/2013 5:19 PM (#653411 - in reply to #653382)

A sturdier frame keeps the gears alined to prevent binding when cranking under a load and allow smooth operations. While I agree that some folks on this board way way over think what's happening, but the sturdier frame will also aid in the reel's longevity.
anzomcik
Posted 7/24/2013 6:10 PM (#653417 - in reply to #653382)

I would agree that a more rigid frame should provide longer life, but does not guarantee anything.

Besides rookie has boiled his selection down to 400d and toro 60, neither have been prone to frame failures (I cant even think of a "musky" reel that has been prone to frame failure)

I have to ask why the question was asked about frame quality (did I miss a thread or something)? Next people will be asking,"If the frame is machined what alloy of aluminum is used? I would like to know this so I can check if its an alloy that's weld able, if the frame would crack." Where does it end?

We are not comparing a Tranx to a Zebco 202.

Rookie
Posted 7/24/2013 7:50 PM (#653435 - in reply to #653417)

I ask because I had a quantum reel that was cast type alloy material. At the same time my buddy got a Calcutta 200. Mine literally fell apart in 3 months his is still rock solid that was 2 years ago. It seemed like everything really loosened up everywhere. One of the feet to hold the reel on the reel seat even broke off. Maybe I just got a bum one. He's a machinist and said that the solid billet aluminum machined is better than cast because of the inconsistencies and possible pits and cracks coveredby the paint. The machined one is anodized and show the body well. Just don't want to make the same mistake twice. Thanks
anzomcik
Posted 7/24/2013 8:13 PM (#653441 - in reply to #653382)

I do not know what quantum reel you own, but was your reel in the same ball park of the Calcutta? I am asking so to see if your compairing apples here?

Your friend is correct that there could be voids and imperfections in the casting, anything is possible. Do you feel ur quantum issues were caused by this?

Me personally would not be afraid of frames that were cast, the housing on a trucks transmition is cast aluminum. The gears are powered metal (when you think of it is crazy).

When you get some time open up one of your reels and check it out. You will be amazed at the amount of plastic inside your reel. It should alleviate any worries of the frame breaking on musky reels.
Rookie
Posted 7/24/2013 9:12 PM (#653453 - in reply to #653441)

I had a pt series. We opened up his 200 and it looks of good quality. Only a few small nylon parts. If I remember right when I took mine apart there were defiantly more either nylon or some plastic type of material. I no longer have it. Also I was fishing 1 to his 2 days some he really put some hours on it. I ask because I don't have a bunch of money.
muskyhunter47
Posted 7/24/2013 9:36 PM (#653455 - in reply to #653453)

you do get what you pay for.15 years ago I started musky fishing I bought a "Teka" it was a cheap reel I thought it was good lasted one year .then the next year I was working a lot of over time and bought a Callcuta TE I still have that reel. so spend the money if you can .a good reel will last a long time.
wicked
Posted 7/25/2013 6:55 AM (#653488 - in reply to #653382)

Both should be great reels. I haven't tried the shimano but have several revo toros that have a ton of hours on them and a NaCl I added in the mix and they've been awesome reels with no issues. I think you should be safe with either reel mentioned.
jakejusa
Posted 7/25/2013 12:45 PM (#653562 - in reply to #653382)
Subject: RE: Machined reel body vs. cast alloy

In all my years I have broken one frame on a reel, the foot. I dropped it on concrete and it busted. I also have a dozen others of the same model reel and most likely have also dropped most of them at one point or another, but none have broken. I think you will find lack of maint./cleaning/oiling will kill a reel much faster than frame torgue. Buy the best reel you can $ wise and keep it clean and lubed and minor other repairs and it will outlive you most likely. I have a dozen retired reels in my case and everyone of them could get fresh lube and hit the water without fail.