ok rod builders.....
esox69
Posted 7/19/2013 10:42 PM (#652724)
Subject: ok rod builders.....

which rod blank (just the blank) is physically lighter in weight- 9' st croix XH legend or T.I. 9' XH ? actually, which 9' XH blank is the lightest available, PERIOD?
montei
Posted 7/20/2013 12:19 AM (#652740 - in reply to #652724)
Subject: Re: ok rod builders.....

im not sure if its the lightest but i have a 9' XH thorne bros predator and its pretty dang light.. its a st croix blank but not sure which one.. im sure someone can chime in that know which st croix blank it is.
esoxone
Posted 7/20/2013 4:39 AM (#652744 - in reply to #652724)

Esox69,

call St.Croix and James (Tackle Industries) and ask it.
It's the best thing you can do.

esoxone
Flambeauski
Posted 7/20/2013 7:20 AM (#652751 - in reply to #652724)

St. Croix doesn't have a 9' XH blank. They build a 9' XH for Thornes, you'd have to ask them how much it weighs.
Their 9' HF weighs 6.9 oz.
Posted 7/20/2013 9:25 AM (#652763 - in reply to #652724)
Subject: RE: ok rod builders.....

the t.i. xh blank is 5.8oz
Tackle Industries
Posted 7/20/2013 9:49 AM (#652766 - in reply to #652763)

Guest - 7/20/2013 9:25 AM

I am not home right now but can confirm this. I know its under 6oz. Our finished 9' is about the same as a 8'6" St Croix in a similar setup but honestly is very little difference. Imaging a shot of water and that is what you are looking at for difference in weight. If you want a premium rod blank go with the St Croix. If you want a less expensive rod blank that is similar, go with a TI blank. Mike Hulbert just caught his 57.5" on a custom TI rod that Thorne Bros built for him. Thorne Bros does not carry Tackle Industries blanks though so if you want an extremely sick custom rod take a look at what Jeremy with Tuscarora can do for you. Jeremy is a true artist and can build you about anything you need on one of our TI blanks. He will have our new 7'6" blanks in a week or so as well as our full line of 9' blanks. He has built a 10" rod on our blanks before.

Here are some pictures of what he can do. He built us a US-Army rod for the shows last year and put a 50cal shell in the butt end just to finish it off. Side note about Jeremy, he donates a lot of his time, money and rods to Veterans and Children's charities. Great guy with a big heart. Good company to support.

http://tuscaroratackle.com/rods/

Thanks,
James

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Army1 [800x600].JPG)

(Army2 [800x600].JPG)

(Badgers [800x600].JPG)

(Heavy Metal1 [800x600].JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Army1 [800x600].JPG (142KB - 180 downloads)
Attachments Army2 [800x600].JPG (122KB - 179 downloads)
Attachments Badgers [800x600].JPG (149KB - 179 downloads)
Attachments Heavy Metal1 [800x600].JPG (134KB - 183 downloads)
Tackle Industries
Posted 7/20/2013 9:53 AM (#652767 - in reply to #652766)

Tackle Industries - 7/20/2013 9:49 AM

Guest - 7/20/2013 9:25 AM

I am not home right now but can confirm this. I know its under 6oz. Our finished 9' is about the same as a 8'6" St Croix in a similar setup but honestly is very little difference. Imaging a shot of water and that is what you are looking at for difference in weight. If you want a premium rod blank go with the St Croix. If you want a less expensive rod blank that is similar, go with a TI blank. Mike Hulbert just caught his 57.5" on a custom TI rod that Thorne Bros built for him. Thorne Bros does not carry Tackle Industries blanks though so if you want an extremely sick custom rod take a look at what Jeremy with Tuscarora can do for you. Jeremy is a true artist and can build you about anything you need on one of our TI blanks. He will have our new 7'6" blanks in a week or so as well as our full line of 9' blanks. He has built a 10" rod on our blanks before.

Here are some pictures of what he can do. He built us a US-Army rod for the shows last year and put a 50cal shell in the butt end just to finish it off. Side note about Jeremy, he donates a lot of his time, money and rods to Veterans and Children's charities. Great guy with a big heart. Good company to support.

http://tuscaroratackle.com/rods/

Thanks,
James
bowhunter29
Posted 7/20/2013 12:30 PM (#652786 - in reply to #652724)

I've found TI, St Croix, and Thorne Bros (built by St Croix also) blanks to all be high quality. I've built quite a few rods on the Tackle Industries and the St Croix blanks but not as many on the Thorne Bros blanks. The Thorne Bros blanks appear to have an extra wrap or two on them making them heavier walled and therefore more durable. While I haven't weighed them, they feel heavier than LT or TI blanks.

I use an old spring style scale to weigh rods and lures. While not as accurate as a digital scale, it at least gets me in the ballpark. I just went down to the shop and weighed the 9' TI blanks and here's what I got:
MH: 5.25oz
XH: 5.5oz
XXH: 8.75oz
Again, these weights were taken on an old spring style scale and are approximate. Don't be surprised if your measurements aren't exactly the same.

The problem is trying to compare apples to apples. St. Croix doesn't make a 9' XH, so do we compare the TI 9'XH to the Big Nasty? If we do, then the TI is lighter by almost 1.5oz. The TI 9' XH is even lighter than the Big Dawg while giving away 6".

The real issue is that you don't fish a bare blank. How is your rod builder constructing the rod to keep weight to a minimum? It doesn't matter if you start with the lightest blank out there, if the right components aren't used in the construction, you'll end up with a heavy rod anyway. It's things like grip material, grip length, guide choice, etc, that make the biggest difference in overall rod weight.

I prefer that my personal rods are super light weight and super durable. With that in mind, I build my personal rods with split grips, no fore grip. and single foot heavy-duty guides. By going to this style of guide over the big double foot guides that are traditionally used, you can easily drop 70-80% of the weight off of the top half of the rod where it matters most. That makes a HUGE difference! You can have two rods built on the same blank with exactly the same grips but if you use double foot guides on one and single foot on the other, you'll swear they aren't the same blank because of the difference in weight and feel in the hand.

If you want a truly light weight rod, my advice is to start with the lightest blank available and find a builder who knows how to build it light and durable.

jeremy
Tackle Industries
Posted 7/20/2013 5:43 PM (#652815 - in reply to #652724)

XH 9' blank is 5.8oz. Winner is..... "Guest"

James