Umbrella Rigs for musky and pike
Tackle Industries
Posted 7/11/2013 7:26 AM (#650977)
Subject: Umbrella Rigs for musky and pike

Anyone use umbrella rigs or better yet, have concerns about umbrella rigs for musky and pike? Just toying around with this bait and thinking about musky sizing it but to me it looks like it might harm a musky/pike if the fish got caught up in the rigging. Also not sure about the number of hook points in this for regulations. I think most states you can have 9 hook points on a lure but to me this could qualify as a lure with 5 lures if I put 5 mullet baits on the rig. I know some of you have used this type of rig here. Thanks for any technical or regulations input.
James
Posted 9/8/2013 8:52 PM (#662031 - in reply to #650977)
Subject: RE: Umbrella Rigs for musky and pike

In MN where I live, an angler is only allowed one lure with a hook on the umbrella rig. With that guidance, I bought and experimented a little with the musky sized Fudally umbrella rig. I loved how the rig looked - when it wasn't fouled up. I was using the U-rig with blades as teasers and not hookless swim baits. My one lure was a DCG. Problem with this rigging is the whole thing windmills on the cast, fouling in the line and the one lure about half the time. I'm really not sure yet how to mitigate the problems, but haven't given up on the rig. It looks too good and the results in the bass world tell me not to give up.

Can anyone explain how to rig the U-rig for musky casting without so much fouling on the cast?

BrianF

Mtn Hunter
Posted 9/8/2013 9:57 PM (#662044 - in reply to #650977)
Subject: Re: Umbrella Rigs for musky and pike

Try trolling it instead