InternationalFalls
EsoxHawk
Posted 7/8/2013 1:48 PM (#650459)
Subject: InternationalFalls

going to a new spot this summer - have always crossed at Thunder Bay - this summer it will be International Falls - Have heard it's the stickiest of all the border crossings? Not sure what this even means - looking for advice or ideas - best time of day - things to be aware of? thanks in advance
Lundbob
Posted 7/8/2013 3:07 PM (#650475 - in reply to #650459)
Subject: RE: InternationalFalls

I went through last summer for first time. Smooth as could be. No problem what so ever. Long lines on saturdays of course but thats to be expected.

Showed passport. Where are you going. How long will you be here. Have a nice day.
Muskyfisher
Posted 7/8/2013 4:09 PM (#650492 - in reply to #650459)
Subject: Re: InternationalFalls

I cross there all the time only being 40 miles away it is very smooth crossing even if its your first time they can be pretty rough on ya coming back into the states
Louis
Posted 7/8/2013 6:32 PM (#650509 - in reply to #650459)

Its WAY easier getting into Canada than getting back into the states. If you are returning on a Saturday, get there as early as possible. Our first year we arrived at approx 10am and waited 3+ hours. Never made that mistake again.

Edited by Louis 7/8/2013 6:33 PM
Capt bigfish
Posted 7/8/2013 6:42 PM (#650510 - in reply to #650509)

the rule I was told was stay away between 8am-8pm weekends, and I always follow the rules
canada
Posted 7/8/2013 8:28 PM (#650531 - in reply to #650459)

Just got back last weekend.Piece of cake.
No jokes or wiseguy stuff.
Listen to their complete questions and then answer with no additional chatter.
The earlier the better crossing on a Saturday AM. 7 works fine for me.
We stayed this year at the Canada Super 8 and crossed in 2 minutes Friday late.
They will ask where you are going,when you were up last,and how long you are staying.Also,do you have food,alcohol,or weapons.
Coming back they seem more aggressive.USA was running drug dogs last weekend which I had never seen in 5 trips previous.
We have never been pulled out of line or hassled but we are pretty clean cut and our rig is in good order.
It's not that big a deal.
mitch2245
Posted 7/9/2013 10:00 AM (#650598 - in reply to #650459)

Never had any problems crossing at Internations Falls in 22 years I've been doing it. Only been searched once and that was coming back into the US. Canada's questions are pretty standard as mentioned above. Where are you going? How long are you staying? What is the purpose of your trip? Any alcohol or firearms? Any live bait? I'm sure this is only asked when they know for sure you're fishing. Just got back from Canada last month and it took the least time ever. They didn't even ask how long we were staying. Just when are we coming back and did we have any alcohol, firearms, or bait. I think it took about 2 minutes total to cross. We crossed on a Friday at about 3:00 pm.
jonnysled
Posted 7/9/2013 10:16 AM (#650602 - in reply to #650459)

i cross international borders monthly ... they know who you are. if you answer quickly, accurately and don't "show-up" in legal problems, you will fly through. physically, have your things in order and packed neatly, roll yours and your passenger's windows down before getting to the officer so that there is a clear view of who is in the party. the relationship of the party can and will be asked ... if you are all from different places and not related they will want to know how you know each other. my assumption is they are looking for guides when this happens.

Brian
Posted 7/9/2013 1:53 PM (#650629 - in reply to #650459)

Anyone cross on a Sunday morning and if so, how long were the lines?

Brian
Bucky_Musky
Posted 7/9/2013 2:03 PM (#650630 - in reply to #650629)

Never had any long hold-ups or issues crossing at International Falls. It is also the only place I have ever crossed. It seems we normally go through Int'l Falls on a Tues/Weds morning after breakfast and usually come back on Sunday mid-morning.

I don't believe I have ever waited longer than 20 minutes to get across. Pretty smooth operation IMO....except if you are one of the "random" vehicles that gets pulled out of line to get searched. That seems like a nightmare, but likely I have never been on that side of things.

As JohnnySled said, have all of the windows down and passports ready. They will ask you names and how everyone knows each other/ is related. They don't want small talk either. Just answer the questions they ask, be courteous and be on your merry way. I've gotten through fine every time, but the border patrol never looks as happy as I am on the way up to Canada.
kustomboy
Posted 7/9/2013 6:57 PM (#650673 - in reply to #650459)

We just crossed last week. Going in on the 3rd around noon there was no line and took about 2 minutes. Came back on Sunday the 7th at about 8:00 a.m. no lines took about 2 minutes.
riverrat09
Posted 7/9/2013 8:15 PM (#650692 - in reply to #650630)

Bucky_Musky - 7/9/2013 2:03 PM

...except if you are one of the "random" vehicles that gets pulled out of line to get searched. That seems like a nightmare, but likely I have never been on that side of things.

Their check are definitely "random" . Of the times I've been up there the vehicle we have that is pulling the boat has NEVER been pulled over for a "random" check. But just about every time our other vehicle with no boat has been pulled over for a "random" check both entering and leaving Canada.

So I guess if you plan to smuggle something across the border make sure it is in a boat.
Bucky_Musky
Posted 7/9/2013 8:19 PM (#650695 - in reply to #650459)

Haha. Good to know Rat. Never been up to Canada without a boat hooked up. Now that I think about it, if I didn't have a boat, it would be #*^@ near torture.
Captain
Posted 7/10/2013 9:02 AM (#650775 - in reply to #650459)

We went through Baudette back and June. I havent been to Canada in many years, another guy in my group hadnt ever been while the other goes every year.
They asked the question "when was the last time you were in Canada?" I said "about 20 years ago". This wasnt good enough. He asked "How long exactly?" So I had to think because it was back in college "18 years". Which he then followed up with "what took you so long to come back?"
So, yes, they can get very particular about working and if you answer their questions very definitively you will likely have an easier time.
Note to those bringing beer. You can bring a case, but a case of pounders will cost you extra. Its technically ounces not number of cans.
The Canadian folks were generally nice, but the US guy was a dick when we came back.
Shep
Posted 7/10/2013 11:32 AM (#650810 - in reply to #650775)

If they ask you if your crawlers are in bedding or dirt, don't say "Yes".
jheminva
Posted 7/10/2013 12:17 PM (#650814 - in reply to #650459)

I went to Lac Seul with my father, two brother in laws, and a friend in 2010. We went through international falls mid day on a saturday. Not sure why they pulled us to the side, but they went through everything, I mean everything. They checked under floor mats, took every laptop and went through them, went through almost evry bag, every compartment in our boat. We had nothing we shouldnt have, but what a pain that tookup alot of time. Coming back in, I don't think they even asked one question, took 10 min. I would still go again, if I have the chance!
Booch
Posted 7/11/2013 9:11 AM (#651001 - in reply to #650459)

I've been through there for a fishing trip nearly every summer for the past 20+ years, on Saturday mornings. Get there before 9:00, and don't be offended if you are pulled to the side for a search. These searches may be random for the vehicles not looking or acting suspicious, but if you appear nervous in any way odds are you are getting pulled to the side.

They are supposed to be dicks. You are supposed to be a little intimidated. But if you respectfully do what you are told/asked, and have your gear neatly packed odds are you'll be through in a few minutes. If you do get searched, just sit back and enjoy the smell while you wait! lol.
DonPursch
Posted 7/12/2013 4:03 PM (#651304 - in reply to #651001)

I-Falls is the training center for all of Canada coast to coast that's why it gets very specific just don't be smart and answer the questions no hesitation and its all good,oh take your glasses off and look right at them.
freddy
Posted 7/13/2013 2:12 PM (#651403 - in reply to #650459)

We got turned around This Friday because my brothers simple assault charge from 1986 and he has been to canada 8 times? in the past 15 years they started to scan passports and tolds us we could not enter. So we are now at the BigV out a grand in deposits
riverrat09
Posted 7/13/2013 5:01 PM (#651415 - in reply to #651403)

freddy - 7/13/2013 2:12 PM

We got turned around This Friday because my brothers simple assault charge from 1986 and he has been to canada 8 times? in the past 15 years they started to scan passports and tolds us we could not enter. So we are now at the BigV out a grand in deposits

I would of told your brother you'd pick him up in a week on your way back through.
freddy
Posted 7/13/2013 10:48 PM (#651464 - in reply to #650459)

Yea he said he would take a rental home but we voted to all stay back. Kinda bull when you just fished Canada last year and had been there 8 times then you get the boot for a mistake after a football game when you were in high school
que
Posted 7/14/2013 7:54 AM (#651499 - in reply to #650459)

Check out Canada customs section on, rehabilitation for past criminal acts, for your brother freddy.,
Posted 7/19/2013 9:06 AM (#652607 - in reply to #650459)

All it takes is one dude with a burr in his saddle to ruin somebody's day !