Spinnerbaits and leaders
dami0101
Posted 6/18/2013 10:27 AM (#647162)
Subject: Spinnerbaits and leaders

So I really like spinners but I have an issue where 50% of the time they seem to get fouled with my leader getting wrapped around the upper arm. I'm using 130# flour leaders, should I be using something else?

On a side note, do people like spinners? I rarely hear people talk about catching fish on them, seems to always be bucktails, dawgs, gliders, and top waters. Am I wasting my time throwing these?
handlebarz
Posted 6/18/2013 12:24 PM (#647200 - in reply to #647162)
Subject: Re: Spinnerbaits and leaders

I love spinner baits and use them a fair bit when casting them I find you need to lob them out and control the bait more as its flying through the air you don't want to to wobble or tumble and start to tighten the line when its on the arch down towards the water that is where your line will get caught most times as it will tumble over the line and ruin a cast. I just add pressure to the spool to keep the lure pulling straight out from the rod as it hits the water.

I have used many different ones but designed my own that have a different twist as you can cut the hook off and just replace it like any in-line bait. I did this as I would find at times guys were ripping hooks from musky just because they did not want to destroy a good lure. My design stops this and you can change the single hook to a treble hook if your fishing open water or deep rivers with little weeds.
muskihntr
Posted 6/18/2013 12:43 PM (#647208 - in reply to #647162)

Like stated above or you can go to a solid wire leader and that helps as well. Also have had people tell me that going to heavier fluoro (180 or 200) that doesnt flex as much helps.
psv
Posted 6/18/2013 2:31 PM (#647254 - in reply to #647162)

No. You are not wasting your time throwing spinnerbaits. One of the most universal and underrated lure,IMHO

Many people do really well with them. There are many designs available for different types of structure, depth etc, as well as different techniques. Spinnerbaits are not as simple as they might look and if you learn how to/when to they might be on of the best lure in your box.

muskieman23
Posted 6/18/2013 5:40 PM (#647290 - in reply to #647162)

I throw soinnerbaits a ton and the one thing I can say is when you cast thumb the spool the whole time so the spinnerbait stays straight while flying through the air. Also try putting your thumb down and stopping the bait before it hits the water.