Stolen Equipment Alert
thrax_johnson
Posted 6/14/2013 10:52 AM (#646529)
Subject: Stolen Equipment Alert

ALERT. Yesterday afternoon I had nearly all of my muskie equipment stolen from my boat, parked at my front door in my yard, while I was gone for a couple hrs to register people for our chapter tournament. My HDS8 was stolen along with 6 muskie rods and reels including 3 Calcutta 401te's, an Abu C3 6500, 2 linecounter trolling reels. Also taken was a fishoflage Lakewood Monster STUFFED with baits and with Plano's stuffed with baits in all 3 pockets, also a Forest Green Lakewood Extreme filled to the hilt, including many custom large crankbaits, also taken was my Frabill net. Please keep your eyes peeled for stuff like this wherever you go, online etc. Crushing. Broad daylight, middle of the afternoon.

Included in these lures were 11 Supernatural Crankbaits, very unique customs and a couple were personalized in addition. In all between 160-180 lures along with all release tools, hooks, leaders etc were in those boxes. I am in the general Bemidji, MN area. This occurred between 1:30pm and 7:15pm yesterday. A suspicious large late model blue SUV and a small boat with a tan or brown cover was reported on a private dead end road immediately behind my property by neighbors to the sheriff while he was here last night, tracks were located on the dirt road leading into and from my property where they would have been obscured from view, along with scuffing indicating loading of heavy gear.

I implore everyone to keep an eye peeled and remind you to always take the time to secure your stuff. I'm in a reasonably secluded location in the country, the boat is parked where it always is and I never leave stuff in it, this is literally the only time I have done that and that one time for a few hrs really cost me. Take pictures of your stuff and keep an itemized list. I didn't. I am working with the insurance companies and don't know how that will go yet.
FAT-SKI
Posted 6/14/2013 11:00 AM (#646531 - in reply to #646529)
Subject: RE: Stolen Equipment Alert

man that is a huge bummer. I can't even imagine what you are feeling right now. There is a lot of trash in this world but thieves are up there in the top 5 biggest pieces of trash that I can think of. Some people just have no sense. That really sucks man. I hope that insurance comes through for you to at least get some of that stuff back.
muskihntr
Posted 6/14/2013 11:12 AM (#646532 - in reply to #646529)
Subject: Re: Stolen Equipment Alert

Brian, Sorry to hear, Ive been there before with my garage getting hit. Start hitting flea markets. I was told by police that most stolen stuff ends up being sold there.
Propster
Posted 6/14/2013 11:13 AM (#646533 - in reply to #646529)

Brian,
Hunter and I are coming up tonight to fish the tourney tomorrow. If you don't have anything lined up by then we have an extra rod and certainly some baits you could use if you are still planning to participate.
derekrusty
Posted 6/14/2013 11:23 AM (#646539 - in reply to #646529)

Ugggh, Just reading your post made me sick. I can't even imagine losing all my gear. Really sorry to hear about your loss and I will keep my eyes open incase anything pops up. I would keep an eye on craigslist and ebay as well over the next couple months.
mastical
Posted 6/14/2013 11:27 AM (#646540 - in reply to #646529)

Suck its fisherman who took your stuff also.
Reilley
Posted 6/14/2013 11:31 AM (#646543 - in reply to #646529)

I bet it's the same group of guys that got all my stuff out of the Fereral Dam campground last year.
oddball
Posted 6/14/2013 11:39 AM (#646545 - in reply to #646529)

That really sucks. My kid just moved into his new house a couple weeks ago and when he came home after being gone for the weekend to find his garage door kicked in and all his ice fishing stuff and tools missing . When I'm done tossing baits for the year I make it a point to hang all my baits in the garage and take pictures .lures , rods , boxes and all the other stuff from the boat .
IAJustin
Posted 6/14/2013 11:43 AM (#646546 - in reply to #646529)

Wow! Just crazy- I hope the insurance claim goes well. Thieves need to be punished more severely!
Kirby Budrow
Posted 6/14/2013 11:53 AM (#646548 - in reply to #646546)

Sorry Brian. That's any fisherman's worst nightmare. I will keep my eyes pealed for sure.
ToothTamer
Posted 6/14/2013 12:08 PM (#646550 - in reply to #646529)

What a bunch of scum bags... sorry to hear you lost your stuff hopefully it comes up for sale somewhere keep checking local craigslist maybe or flea markets/pawn shops
bladeno20
Posted 6/14/2013 12:12 PM (#646551 - in reply to #646529)

it's late but just encase,did you call your insurance?
TTails
Posted 6/14/2013 12:14 PM (#646552 - in reply to #646529)

I would check every pawn shop in 30 miles. I had all of my stuff taken out of my boat 2 springs ago. i called all of them in our area to ask if anything like that came in. Then I stopped at one on my way home from work, and the kids were actually there trying to sell my stuff as I walked in. Recovered everything except one reel that was sold at another pawn shop. I know Pawn America holds stuff for 30 days before they resell just incase there is a police report filed on any items. Bummer to hear of this kind of crap. We work hard to buy our stuff, and some things are just not replaceable!! I feel your pain. Good luck!!
jdeezay74
Posted 6/14/2013 12:14 PM (#646553 - in reply to #646529)

That's sucks BIG TIME especially when a lot of the gear is irreplaceable. Man this got me thinking I called my insurance company and ask about coverage it was 2500 gear not fixed to the craft. So for a measly 9 dollars it doubled my gear to 5000. I know some fellas here have way more $$ than that in there gear but I would seriously consider double checking and make sure if a dirty crook makes off with your stuff at least your compensated fully for your loss. A lot of our stuff is custom or just not available anymore, or not been made in years. Cover your butt !!
MuskyKarma
Posted 6/14/2013 12:41 PM (#646562 - in reply to #646529)

Sorry to hear man I will keep a close eye out. I will never leave my stuff out anymore ESPECIALLY in that Bemidji/Cass area. The one time I did they opened up my truck tailgate with a tonneau cover on it and took the only 3 rods I had in there and stripped my boat trailer for most of it's parts while I was out on the lake.
Allstate48
Posted 6/14/2013 12:56 PM (#646567 - in reply to #646529)

If you send me a P M I'd be more than glad to send you some baits, if that would help. Good luck Doug
psv
Posted 6/14/2013 2:02 PM (#646578 - in reply to #646529)

Brian,
I'm very sorry to hear such bad news.
I'd like to help. How about couple custom made spinnerbaits ? Just let me know if you are interested and I'll ship the package tomorrow.
Capt bigfish
Posted 6/14/2013 4:07 PM (#646589 - in reply to #646578)

I have a spare knipex and misc release tools for you this weekend. Hopefully they find the scumbags and you get your stuff back.
Clint
Posted 6/14/2013 5:04 PM (#646597 - in reply to #646529)

If you find them l let me know, I have a excavator
MuskieFever
Posted 6/14/2013 5:22 PM (#646600 - in reply to #646529)

That makes me sick. It's a messed up world we live in, hope they catch those scum.
Musk E
Posted 6/15/2013 12:23 PM (#646677 - in reply to #646529)

Clint,

Love the post! I don't have an excavator, but I have a shovel I would be happy to assist with.
breutzy
Posted 6/15/2013 4:59 PM (#646699 - in reply to #646529)

I know exactly where your at and how you feel. Had mine taken out of my boat while running to the bank to get some money for the day. Gone only about 20 minutes, when I got back ,I looked in the boat and felt sick as everything was gone. Worked with my insurance company but lost out on the deal because of the custom made lures I had. I now video and take pics of everything I buy as well as keep the receipts for it all. Good luck and hope they find the people responsible.
LAKESHORE DYL
Posted 6/15/2013 9:12 PM (#646736 - in reply to #646529)

Im sorry to hear about your property man that's a real bum deal It seems I hear about these things happening every year and its sad people have to steal. The company I work for protects our equipment with a product called Snagg its a microchip much similar to the one they put in pets. The possibilities are endless you could put them in trolling motors, tackle boxes, sonars, reels, rods, guns, bikes guitars, power tools, ect. Just food for thought I know my boss is satisfied with the product. www.snagg.com
Nershi
Posted 6/16/2013 12:38 PM (#646778 - in reply to #646529)

Karma and the fish gods will make that gear useless if they ever fish with it.

Remember a lot of thefts are from people that know you. Possibly someone from your chapter who knew you'd be gone? I'd be interested in a follow up to know the total cost of what was taken and how things go with the insurance company.

We as a community need to keep an eye out for these kind of people and watch eachothers back. If you see someone looking in boats, trucks or doing something suspicious take a plate number and report it to the police.
Propster
Posted 6/16/2013 1:04 PM (#646787 - in reply to #646529)

If hate to think a fellow member would ever consider such a thing
esoxaddict
Posted 6/16/2013 1:36 PM (#646790 - in reply to #646677)

Musk E - 6/15/2013 12:23 PM

Clint,

Love the post! I don't have an excavator, but I have a shovel I would be happy to assist with.

That's the nice thing about rural areas. Everybody has a gun and a shovel, and nobody is afraid to use either one.
thrax_johnson
Posted 6/16/2013 2:43 PM (#646795 - in reply to #646529)

Well, still no word about anything as of yet, but I've gotten unconfirmed reports of some similar grab and dash thefts in my area from the same afternoon, evening. A chainsaw from the back of a guys truck at a nearby public landing and at least one other boat completely cleaned out a little north of me. Still have to contact the sheriff's dept to see if they can confirm that and if they've gotten any other info yet.

To those offering to help me out its very much appreciated. Keep your eyes peeled on websites etc. Some very unique stuff here so there is a chance... To those offering baits, I may take you up on it later but want to wait to see how insurance and police investigation goes. No need to rush anything, my local friends have scrapped up some gear for me to borrow in the meantime along with some baits.

I would like to thank Kevin Cochran, Ethan Rogers, Chris and Duff Thury for the use of some equipment and baits until this gets settled. Even bigger thanks to Tom Wartman of Big Mama Lures and Jerry Sondag of Headshaker Guide Service who nearly brought me to tears with some donated baits and equipment this weekend.
T_Peterzen55
Posted 6/16/2013 9:42 PM (#646840 - in reply to #646529)

Im sorry to hear this man! I hope we can find these guys! Most of the stuff has sentimental value which is the more important thing. If someone ever stole my 9 Inch weighted custom sucker Suick I would freak!
bladeno20
Posted 6/16/2013 10:10 PM (#646841 - in reply to #646778)

Nershi - 6/16/2013 12:38 PM

Karma and the fish gods will make that gear useless if they ever fish with it.

Remember a lot of thefts are from people that know you. Possibly someone from your chapter who knew you'd be gone? I'd be interested in a follow up to know the total cost of what was taken and how things go with the insurance company.

We as a community need to keep an eye out for these kind of people and watch eachothers back. If you see someone looking in boats, trucks or doing something suspicious take a plate number and report it to the police.

yes
i think they are musky anglers that will use the lures and reel that's why looking at ebay will be useless,anyway insurance will pay you some brand new one so.......
imho a just in cASE would be a good thing for you
Muskie Bob
Posted 6/17/2013 9:26 AM (#646896 - in reply to #646529)

"We as a community need to keep an eye out for these kind of people and watch eachothers back. If you see someone looking in boats, trucks or doing something suspicious take a plate number and report it to the police."

And, how easy it would be to just take a few pictures using your I-phone. Even if you don't think it deserves reporting, a picture or two might come in handy later.
If someone sees you taking pictures and they plan to steal, they probably will leave.

You may not have a paper and pen to write down information, but an I-phone is normally close to you......use it.

Sorgy
Posted 6/17/2013 10:05 AM (#646909 - in reply to #646896)

Thrax,
I feel for you. I talked to your brother the other night. I will definitly be on the lookout. I hope they find the criminals. I hope you find your gear and do not have to try and replace it all.
I took pics of all my gear layed out last year. I also take pictures of my boat with all the stuff shown in it as well.

If there is anything I can do to help send me a PM

Steve
handlebarz
Posted 6/18/2013 5:09 AM (#647090 - in reply to #646529)

Dang what are some people thinking well not thinking when they can rip off another person of there passion and love. I hope the karma gods get them.

Sorry to here this I also hope the insurance battle goes in your favor
musky slut
Posted 6/19/2013 10:38 AM (#647407 - in reply to #646529)

Hey man , If you don't get your stuff back let me know , I make some gliders I would be happy to send you one ..... I couldn't imagine all my #*#* gone !

Dinver
Pikiespawn
Posted 6/19/2013 1:32 PM (#647442 - in reply to #646896)

Very sorry to hear this, the stuff will show up at pawn shops or ebay. Prob addicts, unfortunately. I was robbed a little over a year ago, stole all my wifes jewerly and electonics, musical instruments, everything, about 40k.
They were caught after the stuff was pawned and gone, dirt bags got probation, no jail, and restitution (which they can get out of). Unfortunately, our legal system doesnt care about theft, and the attorneys know it. Hope you have better luck than i did.
Nell
Posted 6/21/2013 12:21 AM (#647748 - in reply to #646529)

Wow good reminder to lock up and take pictures of every thing... I am going to take a bunch of pictures of our stuff asap... As criminal Justice major from bemidji... pawn shops.. plus beltrami county has second highest crime rate per capita so huge theft there. Sad but true.. I hope they figure it out. One would think most fishing people are okay non theft types and plus resale not easy to sell lures or equipment so hard to make a profit unless pawn shop. Otherwise eBay and criagslist rather time consuming to sell and risky. Will keepan eye posted in our area... they may drive to sell at pawn shopsso surrounding areas would be good to have people on here check.
Propster
Posted 6/21/2013 7:44 AM (#647758 - in reply to #646529)

How are you doing in your classes?
Average Joe
Posted 6/21/2013 2:13 PM (#647840 - in reply to #647758)

Man, I'm sorry to hear about that

I can't even fathom what you're dealing with. As with most people on here, muskies are my life and that's pretty much where I spend any and all extra income. Between the graphs, boxes, baits, rods, reels, etc.. I hate to think how much I've spent, so if I lost that I don't know what I'd do.
ToothyCritter
Posted 6/21/2013 2:26 PM (#647845 - in reply to #646529)

Sure would be nice to hear that the perps got busted for a change.
thrax_johnson
Posted 6/21/2013 5:34 PM (#647868 - in reply to #646529)

No news yet. Active investigation is ongoing. I also hope they get caught! Thx to all who are keeping eyes and ears peeled.
Eaglescout2012
Posted 6/23/2013 9:35 AM (#648056 - in reply to #646529)

Wow... I cannot believe people in this world. I'm going up to Wisconsin in a few weeks and ill see if any of the locals are selling some used Muskie gear and ill try to get you something. The only other thing that you could do was remember if any of your poles, reels, baits have any marks that you would immediately recognize that would make you know that they are yours. Get your Friends that have fished with you to be on the lookout for the things you lost. Finally, check ALL garage sales by you because its easier to sell stuff at a garage sale than at a pawn shop. Good luck and hopefully you will find your stuff again.

-Zachary
thrax_johnson
Posted 8/15/2013 7:51 PM (#657623 - in reply to #646529)

Its time to present some good news. Two people have been arrested in my case and are suspects in over 10 total theft cases involving well over $40000 in stolen goods. Burglaries were also involved, just not in my specific case. I've recovered most of my stuff and am currently dealing with the insurance companies as to how we proceed, but its essentially all got to be turned into them and I can purchase items back from them.

The original reason for this post was to GET THE WORD OUT and not a sympathy plea. It turns out that getting the word out is what got these crooks caught. An observant person saw things that didn't add up and given the special nature of many of my lures and other equipment that was very identifiable, knew it was my stuff. They did the right thing and alerted me and we took it from there. I hope many of you who've also had things taken can appreciate the joy me and many others are feeling as they're getting the things they worked hard for and to buy over the years back in their possession where it belongs.

What's really interesting is one of the suspects has been a lifelong criminal, the other young man had never been in trouble before. The one who had never been in trouble before had the gall to reply to a similar alert posted on another site. He "felt bad and would keep his eyes open" - something to that effect. Gutsy hey! Many local people whom I know knew them, but I didn't. They were using my equipment, had my Lowrance mounted on their boat etc. The younger of the two is a super avid outdoorsman and may even have been trying to pursue a career in the industry. That's over now. Never let the criminals win, always keep your eyes open, ears peeled and do the right thing when it matters.
Landry
Posted 8/15/2013 8:05 PM (#657627 - in reply to #657623)

Wow. That's great news. Congratulations.
erico
Posted 8/15/2013 8:05 PM (#657629 - in reply to #646529)

Glad to hear a positive end, now hopefully the couurts won't just slap their hands.
Sorgy
Posted 8/15/2013 8:10 PM (#657631 - in reply to #657629)

Brian,
Great news!!! Now get those baits wet this fall. They have something extra special in line for you.

Good Luck

Steve
guggd2868
Posted 8/15/2013 10:36 PM (#657662 - in reply to #646529)

Glad to hear you got everything back. I had a tackle box stolen out of our boat at a gas station earlier this summer. No where near the collection that you describe, but it still sucks. I've been lucky enough to buy a bunch of used stuff from a retiring musky fisherman and am selling much of it in smaller lots to make up the cost, while getting to keep a box and a few lures. I think I'm going to come out even too, but was pretty bitter for a while there.
Again, glad to hear it worked out for you!
toddb
Posted 8/15/2013 11:18 PM (#657665 - in reply to #646529)

Great news!
Capt bigfish
Posted 8/15/2013 11:40 PM (#657666 - in reply to #657665)

is your black hawgworbler back safe?
thrax_johnson
Posted 8/16/2013 5:44 AM (#657674 - in reply to #646529)

Yes my baby is safe Capt Bigfish, along with my treasured baits that are known to start fights!
jfreborg
Posted 8/16/2013 7:16 AM (#657683 - in reply to #657674)

Awesome news Brian! Hard to hide in a small town, especially when you're stupid. I hope the judge makes an example out of them. Maybe I'll see you on the water this week. Jeremy
Netman
Posted 8/16/2013 7:22 AM (#657685 - in reply to #646529)

Great News Brian....I hope the judge strings them up be thier weagles.........I can't believe that they were so bold to mount your locator. I hope that the court system makes an example out of these thieves and that they get a judge that fishes.
Netman

Edited by Netman 8/16/2013 7:27 AM
Captain
Posted 8/16/2013 7:46 AM (#657686 - in reply to #646529)

Super cool that you were able to track them down! What a relief. Still have to feel violated, but at least you were able to find who did it and get items returned. Awesome news!!!
Ja Rule
Posted 8/16/2013 8:13 AM (#657690 - in reply to #646529)

Awesome end to the story. It seems like way too often you hear these stories and nothing ever happens. It's nice to see the good guys win.
ToothyCritter
Posted 8/16/2013 8:24 AM (#657694 - in reply to #657690)

Ja Rule - 8/16/2013 8:13 AM

Awesome end to the story. It seems like way too often you hear these stories and nothing ever happens. It's nice to see the good guys win.

X2
nocturnalmotors
Posted 8/16/2013 8:36 AM (#657695 - in reply to #646529)

That's awesome!
Shep
Posted 8/16/2013 8:41 AM (#657700 - in reply to #657695)

Great news that you will have most of your stuff back.

Please post a link to the news article about the arrest or court proceedings, so everyone knows who these bad actors are.

KentuckyMuskie
Posted 8/16/2013 8:53 AM (#657704 - in reply to #646529)

Very glad to hear that you got your stuff back.

It really tears me up when I read on here that someone had their gear stolen. I don't know how I would deal with it...
Storm Strike
Posted 8/16/2013 10:52 AM (#657733 - in reply to #657704)

Great to hear Brian!

Spent a good long night on the water with Jeremy and he also said you were feeling much better about things....(footnote---man he was on a serious role for a while during my 5 weeks up there--our night we put a 45 in the net)

Sorry about your aunt!

Glad the crooks were caught---did I mention some nut tried to break into our cabin basement over the winter--all my stuff was down there---luckily a super heavy dead bolt stopped them!!!

At least they didn't get your Ranger LOL

World is getting worse not better!
Pepper
Posted 8/16/2013 3:00 PM (#657764 - in reply to #646529)

Unless you have already settled with your insurance why does it have to be turned into them and you buy it back. Seems pretty akward to me why not just make a claim for the suff that was damaged or you didn't get back. If it comes back after the settelemnt then they get it as salvage
thrax_johnson
Posted 8/16/2013 6:33 PM (#657790 - in reply to #646529)

Already paid out for the theft. Its been 2 months. Spent most of the money already as it took long enough to get the $$, I started replacing stuff the day the check came. Not giving up my whole summer and there was no indication at that time that my stuff would ever be recovered. Word is, it is very rarely recovered and in this case, lots of peoples stuff was recovered. I personally think that's the best part, how many other people are getting their stuff back. I met one of them, very nice old guy, couldn't believe his face when he saw his stuff and knew he was getting it back, much of it he'd had for a very long time, and some was brand new.
LOTWbeachbum
Posted 8/17/2013 1:26 PM (#657925 - in reply to #646529)

I spoke with Brian at the Bemidji Chapter Challenge and he was heartbroken to say the least. Glad to hear the bad guys were caught.
Good news all around.
All the best,
StevenJ1981
Posted 8/18/2013 1:43 PM (#658053 - in reply to #646529)

Do you have any neighbors you don't trust? Someone near by you that knows what you have and was just waiting for the right moment.
Gobble!
Posted 8/20/2013 7:52 PM (#658495 - in reply to #646529)

Sorry. Hope you find the guys.