Opinions on Motors?

Posted 1/17/2003 8:43 AM (#6095)
Subject: Opinions on Motors?

I'm looking at buying an 18' to 18.5' Lund or Crestliner. Looking for opinions on a couple of motors. Most of the dealers are selling them rigged with 115 Yamaha Four Strokes. I'm afraid this won't be enough power? I don't want to be underpowered, these boats take up to a 175. So the other options I was considering was a 2002 135 Optimax. I've heard good things. The other option being presented is a 140 Suzuki Four Stroke -- which I've heard nothing about, of course the dealers selling that motor only rave about it. Any opinions on either of these motors regarding maintenance, repair, reliability, re-sale, etc, would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted 1/17/2003 11:10 AM (#56617)

Grog:

I can't speak from personal experience yet; however last fall I ordered a Crestliner 1850 Fishhawk with a 150 hp Evinrude for spring delivery.

I did some homework on outboards and the Evinrude was proven to outperform all others in all categories (fuel efficiency, power, emmissions) except decibel level. Granted, there seem to be some that have had bad experiences with Evinrudes, particularly prior to Bombardier taking ownership. I've spoken to a few owners of newer motors and heard nothing but high praise.

Gather as much info as possible on all outboards and don't be swayed one way or another by a couple bad experiences. Every outboard on the market has an opponent somewhere that experienced problems.

My only other recommendation is to max out the horses if possible. You'll be glad in the long run. The boat will plane faster and get over big water waves safer.

Ask again in mid-April and I'll be able to give you personal experience!

Doug

Posted 1/17/2003 2:33 PM (#56618)

Doug,
I haven't had a lot of success finding consumer information/research comparing motors. Can you point me in the right direction -- magazines,
internet sites, etc. Good Luck with your new toy. I'd considered the
Fishhawk, but I have 3 young children and need a little deeper boat with safer seating. Thanks for the reply.

Posted 1/17/2003 8:53 PM (#56619)

Grog;
For comparisons you might look in Bass and Walleye
Boats magazine.They run tests on multiple engines and
boats. Worthwhile mag.........
dennis

Posted 1/17/2003 8:55 PM (#56620)

This is just one man's opinion, but that 140 'zuk would be my choice without batting an eye. The motor is chain driven, extremely efficient, and smooth, quiet running. 2nd choice would be the 135 Opti. Not quite as smooth, or as quiet, but still a good runner.

Suzuki's website has a section where you can do comparisons to other motors.

Posted 1/18/2003 2:57 PM (#56621)

Try the websites of the manufacturers, as well as BoatTest.com. Through boattest.com I found other websites comparing engines.

Good luck!

Posted 1/22/2003 9:48 AM (#56622)

Grog:

I have a 2000 150 Opti which is the same motor as the 135, the 135 is just a little de-tuned. It has not been flawless but when it runs its a good motor. Do not buy this motor with intentions of trolling it. It will load up and fowl the spark plugs and possibly carbon up and detonate, read POP! If you get an Opti, make sure you don't run anything but 87 Octane gas and Opti oil in it. Also, seriously consider an extended warranty.

Posted 1/22/2003 10:23 AM (#56623)

5 year warranties on Opti's again this year, or at least this spring. I have the 135 Opti, and it has been flawless. Instant starts, no smoke, lot's of power, smooth, quiet, easy on fuel and oil. I would buy another Opti without a second thought!

Posted 1/22/2003 6:27 PM (#56624)

I think if you can afford it you are right to want to max out to the rcommended HP. I run the Honda 130hp on a 18' Crestliner & am seriously in love with it. Got a letter several months ago from Honda about them finding trouble in some fuel pumps so they replaced it though mine ran fine. They also extended the warrenty on the engine block for 10 years after finding a small number of engines were having problems. This includes a free inspection of mine. Pretty good cutomer service I think. Of course you may have seen all the adds Yamaha has in the magazines about JD Powers giving them some top awards. Probally for good reason. Good luck!

Posted 1/23/2003 12:18 PM (#56625)

I just bought a 2001 18'Lowe with a 2001 115 Evinrude FICHT. I have only put about 8 hours of breakin on her, but so far, so good. She starts right up, runs quite and somewhat smokeless. Shoots the 18' Lowe out of the hole in about 2 seconds. I beleive if you taqke care of the FICHT it will take care of you. I am going to be putting the BIO-D oil in it as well as the carbon guard in every gas tank fillup. I also will de-carb it at the end of every season.
Good luck,

Doc