Best Rod Holder
derekrusty
Posted 5/26/2013 6:43 PM (#643363)
Subject: Best Rod Holder

Hey Guys, I am adding a propwash rod holder that will at the back of the boat on a flat surface. The rod will angle down towards the water and want a rod holder that will securely hold the rod in place without the risk of it popping out when I get a strike. What do you guys use for this application? Thanks!
cave run legend
Posted 5/26/2013 6:49 PM (#643364 - in reply to #643363)
Subject: Re: Best Rod Holder

I like scotty powerblocks when tilting extremely.
jarrod0607
Posted 5/26/2013 7:18 PM (#643366 - in reply to #643363)
Subject: RE: Best Rod Holder

My vote goes to Down East's. Very versatile and solid as they come in my opinion.
DonPursch
Posted 5/26/2013 7:34 PM (#643368 - in reply to #643366)

Down Easters or fobes?
pondigger
Posted 5/26/2013 7:40 PM (#643371 - in reply to #643366)

I had to mount mine to a flat surface too.....I got Folbe's.....they have a 12" extension.....I used them to get the rods over the gunwales and the rod tips in the water.....some guys don't like them because they are plastic....other guys swear by them.......don't know if down easter's have a deck mount option.....somebody will know tho.....good luck.....
allegheny river kid
Posted 5/26/2013 10:16 PM (#643399 - in reply to #643363)

Have no experience with folbes, really like downeasts. They come in almost all the mounting options you would want. I have rail mounts, c clamps and deck mounts on my rig. If you gets tracks ie. berts, trax tech, or cisco you really open up mounting options.
CU301DSV
Posted 5/27/2013 4:19 AM (#643416 - in reply to #643363)

http://trojantackle.ca
bladeno20
Posted 5/27/2013 8:03 AM (#643434 - in reply to #643363)

easy,use the one made out of metal we are talking musky no?
larryc
Posted 5/27/2013 9:23 AM (#643446 - in reply to #643434)

Downeasters are good but being metal does not make them better. Diecast zinc is not known for strength.
Salmon guys catch more , bigger and harder hitting fish than muskies and do just fine with Folbe and other non metal rod holders.
kevin cochran
Posted 5/27/2013 9:36 AM (#643448 - in reply to #643446)

I love my Folbes. At first I wasn't sure if they would hold up. We have caught multiple mid 40lb fish on them. They have never failed. I have broken the pins on Easters. Always secure all trolling set ups with Trojan Tackle safety lanyards.
bladeno20
Posted 5/27/2013 2:35 PM (#643488 - in reply to #643446)

larryc - 5/27/2013 9:23 AM

Downeasters are good but being metal does not make them better. Diecast zinc is not known for strength.
Salmon guys catch more , bigger and harder hitting fish than muskies and do just fine with Folbe and other non metal rod holders.

Iam a ontario salmon guy and musky hit harder and fight harder,and good luck if you caught a musky 4 feet away from the prop wash on your plastic rod holder,btw salmon don't bite near the prop wash.for obvious reason all the speed troller from east dont play with plastic,and concerning a failure i have never a single story about that.do you really do some propwash trolling at 1000 lacs?
jdsplasher
Posted 5/27/2013 3:56 PM (#643499 - in reply to #643488)

Actually, I use both holders. My stern,straight backs are Folbes. My side mounts are downeast/W trax.

I have both the downeast, AND The FOLBES fail on me. That is how much trolling I do. I had a diecast-shatter   from downeast. I sent the holder back to the CO. And they did nothing for me. SO, I went with Folbe, and after a 2 years, the splines got rounded, and their folbe failed on me. I called folbe, and talked with the son of the business...He told me that if I was to fish musky, that they suggested I go with down east, that they would hold up better. I, would pick the Folbe first, as ease of use, BUT they simply do NOT hold up to SPEEDS of Musky guys use, especially the guys out east that go, 6- 10MPH. Supposedly, FOLBE was working on a holder for Saltwater, and hopefully it will hold up to the riggers of the musky Man.

As for the downeast, The maker, or president of Sales, Steve, said that the downeast are NOT designed to tilt rods down in the water, as most musky guys do, to detour floating weeds. KInd of funny as all downeast users I know, tilt rods down into water as I have been doing for close to 30 years. Also, all the out east TV shows, depict prop wash trolling with tips down in water.

If you Salmon fish, Most trolling is done with slow speeds, and if your drag is set properly, it does not matter what rod holder you use. Both salmon and Musky hit hard, BUT, trolling MUSKIES seems to demand more speed, and with rods set under the surface, Just demands more pressure on your holder. Salmon fight longer and harder, but most have the rod in your hand by that time.

You would think therewould be a rod holder built strong enough to hold up to the riggers of our sport.

I still seem to NOT be able to find ONE. Sense MY frustration. I have gone round and round with both makers. Hopefully FOLBE gets their act together, and comes out with this saltwater holder, and should guarantee the holder for a lifetime of use.

JD

Reef Hawg
Posted 5/27/2013 4:05 PM (#643503 - in reply to #643363)

We catch fish, and big ones in the prop wash, and otherwise on my Folbes. Swear by them. After 15 years of fighting my Downeast, I'm glad I made the switch. I do have a half dozen downeast for sale(clamp on) super cheap if needed.
CU301DSV
Posted 5/27/2013 5:10 PM (#643513 - in reply to #643363)

We made the switch from down easters to Scotty Orca's a few years ago and have had no issues.
BWB
Posted 5/27/2013 7:15 PM (#643530 - in reply to #643446)

larryc - 5/27/2013 10:23 AM

Yup your 100% right about salmon, but its not the fish where talking about here is it. Let me know how many salmon guys are trolling 5 plus miles an hour with rods buried in the water with a 12 inch bait pounding the bolts loose off your reels? Its not the fish its the baits. if your using 5-6 inch baits by all means use your scotty or folbe, your pulling big baits, there's not a close second, salty.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 5/27/2013 9:50 PM (#643571 - in reply to #643530)

I used Downeasters for years but made the switch to folbe a few years ago and would not go back. I have felt ham-handed more then once with the D.E.'s.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 5/27/2013 9:53 PM (#643573 - in reply to #643530)

In action.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(DSCN6066.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCN6066.JPG (121KB - 2011 downloads)
drreilly
Posted 5/28/2013 11:10 AM (#643660 - in reply to #643363)

I musky and salmon fish a ton and I run both Down East and Folbes. Both are great for different applications. I rub down easts for my down rods for musky fishing and for first dipsey rod for salmons. I prefer them for both of these. I run folbes for flatlines, outside dispeys, and boards and like them better for these applications.

Both rod holders are extremely well built. While salmon fishing does not require the speed and pounding of a large crankbait, having a mag dipsey running off a rod puts a tremendous amount of strain on a rod holder. Both are great rod holders and each, in my opinion, is better for some applications. You will have good luck with both of these.
nocturnalmotors
Posted 5/28/2013 11:54 AM (#643669 - in reply to #643363)

I like my Scotty Powerlock #230's.
Slimeduptuffy
Posted 5/28/2013 7:05 PM (#643751 - in reply to #643363)

Love my Folbe's
Flambeauski
Posted 5/29/2013 8:40 AM (#643840 - in reply to #643363)

Don't troll a whole lot, but Folbe's and Scotties haven't failed me. I've used Down East too, can't say the same about them.
Shep
Posted 5/29/2013 8:40 AM (#643841 - in reply to #643751)

I made the switch to Folbe's in 2006, and would never go back. I talked with Bill, the dad, and Joel, the son, at length. They explained how the Folbe rod holder was designed for Salmon angling, and they use them in the ocean(Saltwater) and catch salmon up to and over 70 lbs! Had me convinced and I put 8 of them on my boat. I pretty much gave away my Downeaters, just to get rid of the noise, and hard to use issues. Plus, the Folbe's rail mount attachment is 1000 times better than the Downeaster. Never had an issue with them constantly loosening, having to put tape or inner tube rubber on the rail to keep them tight. In fact, the Folbe mount is adjustable for how tight you want it to be on the rail with a screw driver. Lock it down, or just enough to be able to tilt it to the desired angle.

To call them plastic is not accurate. They are a composite material, very strong, in all temps. Just like calling the Downeaters metal. Sure, it technically is metal, but it's diecast. Not exactly known for it's strength and durability.  

I've caught salmon to 25 lbs, and many muskies up to nearly 40 lbs. The biggest of those was caught with 3 feet of line out, right next to the prop, in 15 degrees weather. Pretty sure a 70lb salmon is a bit tougher on them than a muskie.

I'd like to know how long it was before the ribs wore to the point of slipping, Jim? There is a work around for that. Yes, I agree the toughest thing is the baits we pull.

My next boat will have Folbe's. 

jdsplasher
Posted 5/29/2013 9:55 PM (#644014 - in reply to #643841)

Shep, the spines in the housing, and spines on the post got worn down, and would slip in approximately 2years of use. Folbe did cover the post and housing, but told me that if I was going to fish musky, that they would no longer cover those parts for me...:(

I would pick Folbe In a heartbeat, but, folbe told me downeast would hold up better for what I am doing, so I use DE for my side mounts, and Folbe holder for straight back so there is no twisting of those spines.

JD

Esox1850
Posted 5/30/2013 2:09 PM (#644144 - in reply to #644014)

They're no longer made but the Bullet Proof rod holders from about 6-7 years ago were rock solid. Beat up your rod butts but were the most solid holders I ever used. Cant find em anywhere..
Shep
Posted 5/30/2013 3:37 PM (#644160 - in reply to #644014)

Overused and abused, JD!

I would probably drill a hole through and pin them in place if they wore out on me. But then I don't troll 24/7 like you do.

You get those tubes?

jdsplasher
Posted 5/30/2013 6:12 PM (#644184 - in reply to #644160)

Shep; I did drill holes in my rams. They lasted a good time, but got frustrated with them swinging out also.

Wednesday, when the tubes were to be delivered, the shop was open till at least 10pm, but Rick said they never arrived that evening, nor were they left outside, so either someone stole them, or your buddy never dropped them off. NEVER GOT THEM...;(

JD

Shep
Posted 5/31/2013 9:26 AM (#644258 - in reply to #644184)

I'll check with him. Sorry for the confusion.

You know what they say. "If you want something done right, do it yourself."

Kingfisher
Posted 6/3/2013 2:41 PM (#644669 - in reply to #643363)

As a Musky Lure Manufacturer I have heard so many failure stories related to rod holders I cant even count them all. Reels have the drag freeze and rod holder snaps off at the base. Scotty and Roberts have been the the brunt of so many stories its become a regular part of my instruction to guys who buy bigger baits NOT TO BUY PLASTIC. Folbes will snap right off if you are pulling baits bigger then 12 inches and have your drags cranked down running 100 pound braid then encounter a solid snag like a stump or downed tree. Most time with the Salty s-10 from down east they break the line or the rod instead . When getting into really big baits like our 15 inch Deepthreats and 21 inch models even the Down east S-10 will break on solid snags. I have several clients who build theirs fron 1/4 inch thick stainless steel tube and plate mig or tig welded together and special cut outs for the reel and rod. Halibut rods 130 pound line, where does it end? Run plastic if you want its your misery not mine.

Ill share a story from a good client of mine. I was trolling in 35 feet of water with 12 inch Deepthreat running 40 feet back . I heard several short drag rips and a crack. I looked back and my rod was gone as was the upper half of my rod holder. I circled back found the lure floating . It had two huge teeth imbedded in it and the lip had been broken loose from the body. I got my rod back because the fish shook the lure and it floated back up. I was glad to get my rod, reel and bait back however I should have listened to you in regards to rod holders and big baits. I oredered 4 S-10 salty rod holders and put up with the clattering and extra mounting hard ware for the security of knowing I wont miss her next time.

After talking with Jeff for an hour on the phone he explained he was using 100 pound braid and a solid glass boat rod. The reel was a good one and the drag did not freeze. The lack of stretch coupled with a Roberts plastic rod holder was an instant failure and cost him the fish of a lifetime. We use extra heavy lines and leaders casting and always say why risk feeding a lure to a fish? So sub standard rod holders are okay? I have NEVER broken a Salty S-10 and that is ONLY rod holder I recommend. I dont like the down easter single clamp or the rail mounts or even the flush deck mount ones they all break. Only the S-10 salty stands above the rest. Even They can also fail, pins and cups can crack. Repair and replace any bad parts. When stepping into the big bait world you are in no mans land as no one builds strong enough ( adjustable) holders for 200 pound super lines and tight drags. Welded Stainless steel sits at the top , nothing beats them for strength . Know a good welder? have him build yours. Mike